24 hours into sailing: Here are 7 ways the brand-new Disney Wish has surprised me - Points Guy (Part 1-of-2)

Kennywood

Kennywood
24 hours into sailing: Here are 7 ways the brand-new Disney Wish has surprised me - Points Guy
Summer Hull - Yesterday 5:30 PM

Editor’s note: TPG writer Summer Hull sailed on Disney Wish on a free trip provided by Disney Cruise Line. The opinions expressed below are entirely hers and weren’t subject to review by the line.

One of these things is not like the other.

Disney Wish just joined Disney Cruise Line‘s fleet as its fifth ship and the line’s first new ship in a decade. While the first four ships — Magic, Dream, Wonder and Fantasy — are certainly unique in their own ways, they are clearly closely related sisters.

But not Wish.

Disney Wish looks similar to its sisters on the outside, with Disney’s traditional red funnels and black, white and gold paint job, but in many ways, the ship is a very different experience on the inside.

1656704045121.png
Though I’ve sailed multiple times with Disney Cruise Line on the first four ships, Disney Wish has already surprised me in a few ways, even though I’m only one day into the christening voyage. Some of these are small differences, while others are much larger shifts.

Here are seven ways Disney Wish has surprised me.

Disney Wish feels like a modern hotel … or a castle

The first four Disney ships have a timeless, bold, nautical feel. Lots of navy blue, red and white are in play on those ships.

That theme makes you feel like you’re on a classic ocean liner, which is cool, but Disney chose to go in a new direction with Wish. It is refreshingly fun to see something noticeably different in the fleet.

Disney Wish also leans into shades of blue, but it accents the color with pinks, golds, greens and other lighter, modern tones.

It feels more in line with the way Disney is now designing its higher-end hotels — like the Grand Floridian — than its first four cruise ships.

1656704117762.png

I’d describe the vibe on board Disney Wish as new hotel meets cruise ship, with a splash of castle.

It’s beautiful, different and a whole lot of fun.

1656704155127.png

The food is really good

Don’t get me wrong; I’m happy enough with the food on the first four Disney ships, but I’m a lot happier with the food on Disney Wish. I don’t know why it’s better, but four meals in, I can say that it is.

It’s not just the restaurants showcasing better cuisine. The on-deck food near the pools is several notches above the pool-adjacent food on the other ships. I actively sought out a second on-deck meal on this sailing, whereas on past Disney cruises, I only eat by the pool when absolutely necessary for a meal of chicken fingers and fries.

I had the same reaction to lunch in 1923. It was a better midday meal than lunches I’ve eaten on other Disney ships in the past.

The dinner in Arendelle, the Frozen-themed restaurant, was also substantially better than I expected. I thought the show would be the star of the evening, but the salmon, veggies and other sides were just as strong.

1656704247160.png

You don’t have to touch the elevator buttons

This is small but definitely different.

To request the elevator, you just hover your finger over the button and the floor is “magically” selected.

1656704288357.png

In my experience, this does lead to some accidental floors being selected when kids get close to the buttons, but it’s still sort of … magical.

The best adult drink involves a popsicle

Yes, there’s a $5,000 Star Wars drink on Disney Wish, but I’m guessing that’s not a real menu option for most. The best drink most cruisers can afford is one with a popsicle.

In the adults-only area of the ship, you’ll find four popsicle-based drinks: Strawberry Basil, Berry Mojito, Cucumber Honey Dew or Mango Tajin. Each is served with a glass of accompanying liquid, such as Black Cherry White Claw, Moet or Topo Chico.

1656704335597.png

These are called Pop-Spritz and cost $15 each. Having sampled the Berry Mojito, Cucumber Honey Dew and Strawberry Basil options, I can affirm they are all outstanding and absolutely worth the trip to the back of the ship in the adult area.

The AquaMouse is mostly like the AquaDuck

These can’t all be positive surprises (though most unquestionably are). But so far the “first Disney attraction at sea,” AquaMouse, isn’t as different from the existing AquaDuck water slide on Disney Dream and Fantasy as I would have hoped.

It’s a lot of fun — but it’s not that different from the others.

1656704390786.png

It was having operational trouble today, so I’m happy to be proven wrong if some key elements were down on this preview. But while the cute Mickey cartoons going up the ramp were fun to see, I’m not sure that differentiates it enough from AquaDuck to warrant being treated as an “attraction” when the others aren’t.

The spa will take your breath away

Honestly, many parts of the ship took my breath away, but the spa is several notches above what you’ll find on other Disney Cruise Line ships.

The large outdoor area and the indoor rainforest area could keep you relaxed and happy for hours. The ice room, the swings with the warm water for your feet and the heated loungers are just as nice as you’d find anywhere.

1656704474933.png

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ar...ingHp04&cvid=697692fdc6c44e53f64dbd20df651b42

Attachments

• 1656704171184.png
    1656704171184.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 1656704140631.png
    1656704140631.png
    244 KB · Views: 50
24 hours into sailing: Here are 7 ways the brand-new Disney Wish has surprised me - Points Guy (Part 2-of-2)

I actually wanted to be in one of the many pools

This is where the reality of our media preview sailing, with its likely lower capacity and fewer kids, could be influencing my opinion. But that doesn’t tell the whole story about the pools being more inviting on Wish.

Disney Wish offers more pools than its sisters — including several I actually want to spend time in.

The infinity pool on the back of the ship feels modern and inviting for the 18+ contingent.

1656704651596.png

Even on the main part of the pool deck, there are layers of family pools, some of which actually go all the way up to my chin and are fun to jump in to cool off.

Bottom line

Disney Wish is decidedly Disney with a princess makeover area for the little ones (including a Captain Minnie outfit!), Disney movies in the theaters, onboard characters and two all-new restaurants that double as immersive Disney entertainment.

1656704696164.png

But it’s the type of Disney where you can round a corner, leave the characters behind and suddenly be in a modern, gorgeous space with fabulous cocktails and an elegant vibe.

It’s beautiful, and there’s no question I will want to sail again as soon as possible. Three nights isn’t nearly enough to explore all it has to offer, especially when it’s so different from the line’s other ships.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/24-hours-into-sailing-here-are-7-ways-the-brand-new-disney-wish-has-surprised-me/ar-AAZ3lqG?ocid=BingHp04&cvid=697692fdc6c44e53f64dbd20df651b42

This guy is clearly trying to talk up the wish as much as possible (what is his obsession with no elevator buttons - its not an amazing feature they exist in most modern offices everywhere) but even he cant talk up the aqua mouse.

The aqua mouse really does look like such a disapointment.

not sure i like the idea of a ship feeling less like a ship and more like a hotel. The whole point of being on a ship is to feel like you are on a ship isnt it?

The whole point of being on a ship is to feel like you are on a ship isnt it?
Agreed. I prefer the other Disney ships' nautical theming, especially in the staterooms. That's the old Disney of meticulous theming (the theme here being sailing on the ocean) and less obvious Disney branding. That is the type of theming that gave us Wilderness Lodge, Yacht & Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc. The new Disney theming is what gave us the Riviera resort. Which is nice, but much less imaginative and evocative of a given time or place. Therefore the Wish feels less like a ship, more like a new Disney hotel.

He didn't say if the Wish had a promenade. I hope it has one as it's nice to walk the promenade and watch the ocean go by.

Last edited:

He didn't say if the Wish had a promenade. I hope it has one as it's nice to walk the promenade and watch the ocean go by.
The deck plans clearly label the promenade. It's not a traditional promenade because it spans three decks, 4-6.

So, no real promenade. Bummer. Don't see myself sailing her more than once.
Fair enough. I think the Wish will be the only DCL ship with 3-night cruises during the school year, though, unless you get a lucky one-off cruise to fill in a gap.

We like the modern touches to the staterooms. That will probably be a bigger long-term attraction on the new ships for us than the flashy restaurants and rides.

And it's a welcome change in looks from the those of the first four. The rooms and the bathrooms on particularly the classics are really starting to look tired.

Fair enough. I think the Wish will be the only DCL ship with 3-night cruises during the school year, though, unless you get a lucky one-off cruise to fill in a gap.
We get it, you don't care about a wraparound promenade and feel the need to be negative towards others who do. :rolleyes2

Gotta love that ignore button.

We have sailed many times with DCL. Surely Disney is just following the current industry trend for cruise ships to be more like up-market hotels inside? But with a Disney twist. For us there are two killers. Only short cruises from USA and the Marvel themed dining room show. I just can't stand the so-called Marvel multi-verse. Clearly there is a market for this and Disney is looking to appeal to a new demographic with its exploitation of the Marvel franchise in parks and on board. I would put my dislike down to being a grumpy old man but even as a child I regarded the Marvel stuff as drivel!! Sorry. Each to their own and I wish the ship well.

Watched a ride video of the Aqua Mouse. The actual water slide part is so short! I don't know what I was expecting, but I imagine it's going to be a one and done for a lot of folks, especially if they wait in a long line the first day of their cruise to ride it.

I’ve cruised Magic, Wonder and Fantasy 3 times each, Dream 4 times. I like all of the ships but am greatly looking forward to a B2B on the Wish. I like new things and don’t intend to compare ships. One is not better to the other just different. I like new and different as well as the old. There are now 5 DCL ships to choose from. Pick your favorites and stay with them. You aren’t forced to sail on a ship you don’t feel fits your needs.

I’ve cruised Magic, Wonder and Fantasy 3 times each, Dream 4 times. I like all of the ships but am greatly looking forward to a B2B on the Wish. I like new things and don’t intend to compare ships. One is not better to the other just different. I like new and different as well as the old. There are now 5 DCL ships to choose from. Pick your favorites and stay with them. You aren’t forced to sail on a ship you don’t feel fits your needs.

Do you have a favorite? We’ve only cruised once on the Dream, but I’d really like to try all of the ships at some point.

This guy is clearly trying to talk up the wish as much as possible (what is his obsession with no elevator buttons - its not an amazing feature they exist in most modern offices everywhere) but even he cant talk up the aqua mouse.

The aqua mouse really does look like such a disapointment.

not sure i like the idea of a ship feeling less like a ship and more like a hotel. The whole point of being on a ship is to feel like you are on a ship isnt it?

We were told by DCL officers that the Wish is supposed to feel like an elegant castle at sea and not a ship. The ship is gorgeous with many beautiful and innovative spaces but it took me until the last day to decide I actually liked it. It is so very different on the inside than other DCL ships and I needed time to process it. I did not get that "Ahhhh, I home" as I do on other DCL ships. It definitely feels like a high end hotel. Many less sea views from the inside and my biggest disappointment is the lack of a walking/running track that goes all the way around the ship. It seems very choppy to have to walk or run up or down stairs to different decks. Plus the steps are steep.

The guest laundry is awesome!!! Tons of washers, dryers, ironing boards, some counter space and sinks to wash things out. It is one centrally located laundry room and not small ones on different floors.

MJ

The guest laundry is awesome!!! Tons of washers, dryers, ironing boards, some counter space and sinks to wash things out. It is one centrally located laundry room and not small ones on different floors.

MJ

Now that's a design change I like. No more hunting around for an empty washing machine. If they are all in one place, you will instantly know what is available. Some of the laundry rooms in the classic ships were so small and hot too.

We were told by DCL officers that the Wish is supposed to feel like an elegant castle at sea and not a ship. The ship is gorgeous with many beautiful and innovative spaces but it took me until the last day to decide I actually liked it. It is so very different on the inside than other DCL ships and I needed time to process it. I did not get that "Ahhhh, I home" as I do on other DCL ships. It definitely feels like a high end hotel. Many less sea views from the inside and my biggest disappointment is the lack of a walking/running track that goes all the way around the ship. It seems very choppy to have to walk or run up or down stairs to different decks. Plus the steps are steep.

MJ
Hi MJ, I have been waiting for your thoughts on the Wish! Thank you for sharing! Hope you are all well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter