2021- WDW 50th Anniversary

aussiejen

Mouseketeer
So i was looking at going back to WDW in 2020 even though we just got back 2 weeks ago from DL but a friend reminded me that its going to be the BIG 50th Anniversary in 2021....so now i am thinking that i will now go in 2021.

Does accomodation book out faster on these bigger celebrations?
are the parks more busier?
2021 seems so far away though....:sad:

it gives me plenty of time to save on the other hand lol.

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
So i was looking at going back to WDW in 2020 even though we just got back 2 weeks ago from DL but a friend reminded me that its going to be the BIG 50th Anniversary in 2021....so now i am thinking that i will now go in 2021.

Does accomodation book out faster on these bigger celebrations?
are the parks more busier?
2021 seems so far away though....:sad:

it gives me plenty of time to save on the other hand lol.
Yes, and yes! Plus, most of the new things should be open (Star Wars, Epcot rides, etc). But, alternatively, there could be lots of new entertainment offerings and shows and decorations, which would make more crowds somewhat worth it. The anniversary celebration will probably go on for about 1.5 yrs (though 1 yr to be safe), based on previous Disney anniversaries.

For accommodation, if you book early enough, you should be ok. Just remember, prices will go up, and discounts will be slim to none. But if you start saving now, then that would be a consideration.

Another thing too, in 2020, they may be doing a lot of prep work for the big 2021 celebrations. So more things than normal could be refurbished. At Disneyland for the 50th, almost every ride had a Golden ride vehicle. That was awesome to see, but also meant it took time to get installed.

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
I didn't know they did this! Just looked it up...amazing! I hope WDW does this...how awesome would it be to see a gold Doom Buggy? LOL
It was really cool! Things like Dumbo and teacups had a second one out front to take photos with. Getting one on the ride itself took some jostling, or sometimes offering to wait for the next round.

Rides I know had it: Dumbo, Teacups, Peter Pan, Casey Jr, Mr Toad, Carousel, Main Street Vehicles, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Jungle Cruise, Autopia. Unfortunately I don't think they had a Doom Buggy, but who knows if that'll change in this day of Instagram!

It was really cool! Things like Dumbo and teacups had a second one out front to take photos with. Getting one on the ride itself took some jostling, or sometimes offering to wait for the next round.

Rides I know had it: Dumbo, Teacups, Peter Pan, Casey Jr, Mr Toad, Carousel, Main Street Vehicles, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Jungle Cruise, Autopia. Unfortunately I don't think they had a Doom Buggy, but who knows if that'll change in this day of Instagram!
Lol I say Doom Buggy because Haunted Mansion was an opening attraction for WDW.

aussiejen

Mouseketeer
Yes, and yes! Plus, most of the new things should be open (Star Wars, Epcot rides, etc). But, alternatively, there could be lots of new entertainment offerings and shows and decorations, which would make more crowds somewhat worth it. The anniversary celebration will probably go on for about 1.5 yrs (though 1 yr to be safe), based on previous Disney anniversaries.

For accommodation, if you book early enough, you should be ok. Just remember, prices will go up, and discounts will be slim to none. But if you start saving now, then that would be a consideration.

Another thing too, in 2020, they may be doing a lot of prep work for the big 2021 celebrations. So more things than normal could be refurbished. At Disneyland for the 50th, almost every ride had a Golden ride vehicle. That was awesome to see, but also meant it took time to get installed.

So exactly how early can i book accomodation?
and would the celebrations run all year of 2021 or just from october?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
So exactly how early can i book accomodation?
and would the celebrations run all year of 2021 or just from october?
I think typically it's about 1 yr out. But they still haven't released rooms for 2019 (at least online, maybe TAs or calling in would work).

For the celebration itself, again, it's uncertain. For Disneyland's 60th (the most recent "big" US park anniversary), the new parade and fireworks started Memorial Day weekend, though the actual anniversary wasn't until July. The parade, fireworks, decorations stayed up until September of the following year.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of "I don't know", but it seems Disney doesn't like to announce things for sure until way too close to the date, yet they make it so you need to plan things so far in advance! If you want to be certain you get to see all the anniversary stuff, I would aim for November or later 2021. Crowds are probably going to be bad the whole year; consider this winter it's been refurbishment season, no special celebrations, and still overcrowded. So if I was in your place, I would probably pick the time that would work best for me and my family, start saving, and watch out for when things start to be made available.

GET A NO-OBLIGATION VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!