2020's worst decade for Disney

Well, they've been through rough patches before. It'll turn around.

Last edited:
What do you mean?
It's happened with the company before. Notably the 80's, but also the WWII era, the Xerography era, the early 2000's as you mentioned. All of these periods saw some company strife and lackluster reception to their pictures, particularly animated fare. The "Disney Renaissance" changed that in '89, and the "Second Renaissance" more recently. For all the talk of gloom and doom, Disney is FAR form bankrupt or anything. It'll come together.

Last edited:

I agree with Brian.....they will eventually turn it around. They are in a really rough patch currently, but at some point they will pull the right levers and turn it around. Iger is a really smart person I believe, and he doesn't want his legacy to be of some really bad Disney performance at the end. I am guessing he finds a better performing combo of initiates in the future.

Disney+ taking way more than expected to make profitable isn't helping things. Having a really rough recent slate at Marvel, Lucasfilm, Disney Animation, and Pixar is certainly not helping things either. The parks still make great money, and ESPN literally is a money printing machine. I think they will right the ship at some point.

Last edited:
I think why the 2020's have become the worst decade for Disney is because it seems that they want to focus on live-action movies rather than animated movies and making movies that are exclusive to Disney+. Because when the pandemic hit in 2020 I think the movie industry was hurt a lot because theaters were closed to the public and since families now watch movies at home streaming them on their TVs Disney knew how to attract this new generation of fans. Starting with Disney/Pixar's Onward which went exclusively to Disney+ after March 2020 Disney knew that this was an interesting concept and Pixar repeated the same thing with Soul being released on Disney+ Christmas 2020 and with Raya And The Last Dragon exclusively on Disney+ Disney knew that this new strategy worked wonders for people. But I think even with Raya And The Last Dragon a smart hit it was really Encanto that made Disney successful again because Encanto actually made money and was a dynamite hit. But I think Strange World made Disney weak because when it was announced in 2022 Disney thought that Strange World would become a holiday hit and would be the talk of the town during the 2022 holiday season but I think had they promoted it a bit more Strange World would've been a huge success. But when you look at it Disney's strongest links are their live-action versions of classic films and while live-action films are nice sometimes we need another animated movie hit from Disney to make millions. When the new animated movie Wish debuts in November I can bet it will be huge like Frozen and make big money like Encanto did. But I really think Marvel has taken all of Disney's glory because if you look at it Marvel had successes with the Guardians Of The Galaxy series Ant-Man and The Wasp Doctor Strange and Black Panther but several movies showed promise but weren't the surprises people were expecting was Thor Love And Thunder Doctor Strange Multiverse Of Madness Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings and Eternals and I think they could've done better in theaters in my opinion. But I think Disney wants to focus so much on live-action films is that's the genre most people like most of the time. But I think in the future Disney will go back to making great animated movies that are worth seeing because a lot of people still love animated movies and cartoons and Disney will get back on it's feet again soon

They've had some good things lately too. Cruella was fantastic! Luca is an instant classic. And their Disney+ TV programming rivals the best TV shows out there right now (Andor, Ms. Marvel, take your pick).

And on top of all that, we're only 3 years into the 2020s. There's still LOTS of time to improve!

They've had some good things lately too. Cruella was fantastic! Luca is an instant classic. And their Disney+ TV programming rivals the best TV shows out there right now (Andor, Ms. Marvel, take your pick).

And on top of all that, we're only 3 years into the 2020s. There's still LOTS of time to improve!
Speaking of Luca, I am very lucky to find someone who can be the new head of Rainbow (Italian animation studio who created Winx Club) to replace Iginio Straffi when Disney acquired it

I think you may see a course correction pretty soon. It is very possible Disney Theatrical will lose money this year, and we know Disney+ will lose $Billions this year. At some point they will be forced to course correct to what sells, and get aligned with what the paying customers want.

Last edited:
Which entertainment companies do you think are doing better than Disney? Even if they’re coming down from the peak of their game, overall they’re still very strong.

Which entertainment companies do you think are doing better than Disney? Even if they’re coming down from the peak of their game, overall they’re still very strong.
Nintendo is making some serious bank right now, and capitalizing on Disney floundering with their family friendly content. So, Universal stands to win big right now with Disney struggling. I know they are planning a big park expansion to feature the Nintendo characters.

Think about this for a minute, the two biggest animated movies in the last two years were neither one made by Disney. A genre that Disney has historically owned!

Last edited:
Nintendo is making some serious bank right now, and capitalizing on Disney floundering with their family friendly content. So, Universal stands to win big right now with Disney struggling.

Think about this for a minute, the two biggest animated movies in the last two years were neither one made by Disney. A genre that Disney has historically owned!
While all that may be true Disney is not outside typical ebbs and flows of the company and in a galaxy far, far way from closing shop even if Universal took the lead temporarily or longer.

While all that may be true Disney is not outside typical ebbs and flows of the company and in a galaxy far, far way from closing shop even if Universal took the lead temporarily or longer.
Oh, I completely agree with that. Disney will eventually get their act together and pull out of this rut, but make no mistake they are certainly in a rut right now.

I prefer for the current price of below $90 for my stock shares to not be a regular thing!

Last edited:
Nintendo is making some serious bank right now, and capitalizing on Disney floundering with their family friendly content. So, Universal stands to win big right now with Disney struggling. I know they are planning a big park expansion to feature the Nintendo characters.

While this is true, Disney has dominated the super hero market for several years now (even if it may be slowing slightly). I feel like the animated movies, which may have been Disney's bread and butter in the past, are now just for 1) diversity of movies and 2) glorified ads to get people into the parks.

Fingers crossed for a great Princess and the Frog sequel. I’m afraid they’ll screw it up, though, with more of the silliness that keeps me away from so many of their recent offerings.

I think the biggest mistake was remaking Pete's Dragon and I don't know why in the world Disney remade it? But that movie failed as well as the Disney movie The BFG "Big Friendly Giant" and it too flopped as well. But I agree that in other companies I think the two companies that will build animation studios are Nintendo and Lego because as we saw with The Super Mario Bros Movie and the recently opened theme park Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Hollywood I truly think Nintendo wants to copy Disney. And with Lego they already have success with Legoland and the movies The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Movie 2 Lego secretly wants to compete with Disney. But what I think Disney will do as focus on movies for Disney+ and with the debuts of the animated series of Moana and the anticipated debut of the Tiana series coming soon to Disney+ Disney really doesn't have anything to worry about. The only things that have made Disney successful is Marvel and Star Wars shows on Disney+. Because I think Marvel's Secret Invasion will be a summer hit and with Season 2 of Loki debuting in October Disney+ will get more subscribers because of these things

Wish looks really promising and maybe be Disney's return to good theatrical performance, after a year of really bad financial performance. To me Wish just has the feel of an old school 90s Disney classic in the making.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter