2018 Princess Half Marathon

You have to allow WAY more time than you think to get to the corral. I'd rather stand around with time to spare than stay in my room longer and then have to rush.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. I don't remember what time I got to the resort bus stop, but I do know it was well within the guidelines in the info booklet. It was definitely more crowded in 2014 than 2010. I'll try to leave even earlier in 2018...like be at the bus stop within 15 minutes of the front end of the time recommendation.

As a newbie who's friend talked them into registering for the 10K, knowing that I've never run a single mile in my life, you all have me paranoid. I think I can eventually finish the 10K( I push a double stroller through the zoo at 18min/mile with animal viewing) but waking up at what seems to now be midnight To get to a bus that may be full-And gets lost- seems daunting. So my question today are (1) to catch a 4am bus does one need to be up at 2am? I assume I will have but a pair of running shoes, a sport bra, a pair of running shorts, and a shirt [again, I am up to two-11 minute miles followed by a brisk stroller walk, and don't have 'gear' per se] so what else is necessary but a stop at the potty and trudging to the bus stop? As my kids will be too EXCITED to be at Disney to sleep before 10pm and I have kids to care for on race day, how early must I really wake? (2) as I like math, if above mentioned friend estimated 13min/mile when signing me up (no POT is necessary for 10k and I do think it is achievable if the shin splits subside), am I still starting with the balloons?

Last edited:
No POT is given for the 10k.

You'll start with balloon ladies if you estimate a 16 minute mile. Not a 13 minute mile.

For Disney runs you have to get family onboard. Someone else needs to take care of the kids so you can get ready for the race and get some sleep.

I don't have my family come with me. The person who would figure out the timing is me, and that peeves me, so I would rather have them just sleep in.

For the 10K, I'm up at 2:45am. I set my stuff out the night before and am in bed by 9pm at the latest (even if I don't fall asleep right away). I hop on the bus at 3:30am and try to be in my corral by 4:30am. That might seem a bit too early for some, but I like to find my way there and get myself in the mindset for the race. I'm so not a morning person, so switching my brain to race mode usually takes me a while. Some rD vets might think this is a bit excessive as far as being early goes, but for me, this works. (I also wake up, hop on the bus, and get to the corral at the same time on the morning of the HM, as well).

The walk from the pre-race area to the corrals is much longer for the HM. I think it took nearly 20 minutes to get from the pre-race area to my corral in 2016, with the crowds and distance. I saw a lot of people rushing to get to their corral (even though we were super early!), but I chose to take it easy in order to save my legs.

We all were new once! I wrote up a trip report about my first half marathon, which happened to be the 2010 Princess. Things have changed a little bit, but the link is in my signature if you want to read about it. I had a friend who had done the 2009 Princess and was able to (pun alert!) walk me through it, so I wanted to pay it forward in a small way and share information.

Oh my goodness... this trip report was amazing. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

As a newbie who's friend talked them into registering for the 10K, knowing that I've never run a single mile in my life, you all have me paranoid. I think I can eventually finish the 10K( I push a double stroller through my he zoo at 18min/mile with animal viewing) but waking up at what seems to now be midnight To get to a bus that may be full-And get lost- Seems daunting. So my question today are (1) to catch a 4am bus does one need to be up at 2am? I assume I will have but I pair of running shoes, a sport bra, a pair of running shorts, and a shirt [again, I am up to 2-11 minute miles followed by a brisk stroller walk, and don't have 'gear' per se] so what else is necessary but a stop at th potty and trudging to the bus stop? As my kids will be too EXCITED to be at Disney to sleep before 10pm and I have kids to care for on race day, how early must I really wake? (2) as I like math, if above mentioned friend estimated 13min/mile when signing me up ( no POT is necessary fo 10k and I do think it is achievable if the shin splits subside), am I still starting with the balloons?
Full bus + getting lost is worst-case scenario...does it happen? Yes. Does it happen often? No.

I am up at about 2:45...get dressed, make coffee, putz around for a bit and make sure to get on the bus no later than 3:30. Benefits of getting there early: you aren't rushed, aren't freaked out about being late, have time for bathroom stops and whatever else, and can get to the front of your corral. They did wave starts for the 10K this year so getting there early to be part of the first wave of your corral would be a good idea. So how early must you wake up is really up to you - I'd rather make sure I have time and can be relaxed, but some people prefer to sleep a little later.

I don't necessarily think you're starting with the balloon ladies at a 13:00/mile pace, but you won't know until you get your bib number. Again, if you're concerned, I'd recommend getting to the start so that you can be at the front of your corral to start with the first wave.

If anyone is interested, I have a trip report from this year's race here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ss-half-marathon-weekend-trip-report.3583700/

I'm a first bus person. I'm usually in bed by 8pm the night before a race. I get everything all set out the night before so that I can just get dressed and leave. I don't carry a bag so that I can avoid the bag check lines. I usually just have my phone and fuel in my pockets. I like to get to the race early so that I can get into the corrals as soon as they open. It seems more important now with the wave starts too.

After the race I don't usually hang around for long. I might check out the merch booth, but I just really want to get back to the room and shower asap.

As a newbie who's friend talked them into registering for the 10K, knowing that I've never run a single mile in my life, you all have me paranoid. I think I can eventually finish the 10K( I push a double stroller through the zoo at 18min/mile with animal viewing) but waking up at what seems to now be midnight To get to a bus that may be full-And gets lost- seems daunting. So my question today are (1) to catch a 4am bus does one need to be up at 2am? I assume I will have but a pair of running shoes, a sport bra, a pair of running shorts, and a shirt [again, I am up to two-11 minute miles followed by a brisk stroller walk, and don't have 'gear' per se] so what else is necessary but a stop at the potty and trudging to the bus stop?
Not necessarily - some folks need more time to get ready than others, and people have different levels of tolerance for running late/early. I need time to eat breakfast, foam roll, stretch, and get dressed, and I much prefer getting to the race early to running late. So with a 5:30am start and buses starting at 3am, for instance, I'd get up at 2am and aim to be walking out the door at 3am. (I drive, not bus, but I leave at the same time buses start running.) Plenty of folks get going later, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks :)

As my kids will be too EXCITED to be at Disney to sleep before 10pm and I have kids to care for on race day, how early must I really wake?
My kid is a teen and usually stays home when I race, so that's my solution, lol!

(2) as I like math, if above mentioned friend estimated 13min/mile when signing me up (no POT is necessary for 10k and I do think it is achievable if the shin splits subside), am I still starting with the balloons?
Not at all likely. You should be in the 13:00/mi corral, which I'd guess is probably the second-to-last. The 10K uses less corrals than the half, typically, and loads lots of people in each corral. But even if you were the very last person to cross the start before the Balloon Ladies (they always start last), at a 13:00/mi pace you'd gain 3:00 on them every mile, so no need to worry about that.

Thank you for the reassurance on the start time and balloon ladies! I had previously stumbled on Ariel484's report (and gotten skirt envy), and have now spent my lunch hour reading Where'sPiglet's. I currently wake up and go out at 5:30 (I know I'm never going to run after work) and it takes me 7 minutes to get out the door, but I have also been known to use a construction portapotty on my route because in my focus on going I forgot to go. I assume I will lose some of my 3 minute lead on the balloons with a character distraction (I do really want some picture with a character without my kids crying!). I had suggested making this a trip with my husband or going solo, both were rejected so I can aspire not only to your running, but the negotiating skills of some of you. ;)

Haha, skirt envy. ;)

My friend that went to PHM with me started in the last corral, first wave, and lost a ton of time waiting in the very first bathroom she saw on the course - almost got swept. So I'd definitely recommend making the pre-race bathroom stop a priority if you're worried about the balloon ladies!

@TheHamm - highly recommend using the bathrooms within EPCOT if you can hold on that long. Less smelly and more options. Will be about half way through the course... maybe mile 3?

I assume I will lose some of my 3 minute lead on the balloons with a character distraction

But you gain the 3 minute lead every mile.

I had suggested making this a trip with my husband or going solo, both were rejected so I can aspire not only to your running, but the negotiating skills of some of you.

DH and DS went with me for 2013 TOT 10 miler. DS went with me for 2014 January weekend. We had a redo in 2015. They don't go anymore. I'm too tweaky about food and sleep and rest, and they might as well just be having a different vacation anyway.

So just be a huge pain, and you'll get your solo trip next time LOL.

Haha, skirt envy. ;)

My friend that went to PHM with me started in the last corral, first wave, and lost a ton of time waiting in the very first bathroom she saw on the course - almost got swept. So I'd definitely recommend making the pre-race bathroom stop a priority if you're worried about the balloon ladies!

Agreed! I sometimes use one before I head to the corral, and then again right before I enter the corral. There are plenty.

But you gain the 3 minute lead every mile.

DH and DS went with me for 2013 TOT 10 miler. DS went with me for 2014 January weekend. We had a redo in 2015. They don't go anymore. I'm too tweaky about food and sleep and rest, and they might as well just be having a different vacation anyway.

I have been trying to be a pain now so the wisdom of a solo trip will be apparent, and convince my husband we should go run superheros together (because he prefers DL, it is our anniversary and I have a shirt that says "I make twins, what's your super power?" that I should wear somewhere) at which point he would see that a family trip is a bad idea, but I suppose if I can tough it out in Feb and be a pain it might win me a solo trip later. I had not thought that far ahead, thanks!

@TheHamm - highly recommend using the bathrooms within EPCOT if you can hold on that long. Less smelly and more options. Will be about half way through the course... maybe mile 3?
Great! I did not know they would be open! Our last two trips to WDW were with potty training tots so I am familiar with every single bathroom in the park.

Agreed! It's not really the same kind of vacation when there's a race in it.

I've now had two dreams about the race. In the first dream the medal was Cinderella themed and in last night's dream it was Tangled/Rapunzel! I also have a vague memory of Merriweather/Sleeping Beauty.

Are merchandise tents available at the finish line of the race? This is my first half marathon, so I am a little nervous about purchasing any merchandise before the race (just in case I get swept). But, if (when) I do finish, I really want to get some Princess half merchandise. Will this be available at the end of the race?

Are merchandise tents available at the finish line of the race? This is my first half marathon, so I am a little nervous about purchasing any merchandise before the race (just in case I get swept). But, if (when) I do finish, I really want to get some Princess half merchandise. Will this be available at the end of the race?
I haven't run PHM the last few years, but every other WDW race I've run lately had a merch tent in the finish area. Selections were limited - nothing like at the expo - but there were some items available. I strongly suggest buying anything you reallyreallyreally want at the expo: worst case, you can always sell it to someone who missed out if you decide you don't want it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!