2015 sail dates?

So, am I correct in assuming that Thanksgiving week prices will be higher than the summer prices I'm seeing? If so, we'll be spending Thanksgiving at the parks instead!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I have found Thanksgiving week to be the most reasonable holiday time to sail. Prices aren't nearly as bad as Christmas/Summer. If I remember correctly, the 4 night Dream price is nuts, but the week long Fantasy is more reasonable on a per night basis.

Jodie

The May 2015 Transatlantic and Panama Canal cruises are definitely the best values of all the new cruises. It amazes me that the Fantasy summer cruises cost more than the 7-night Norway or Baltic cruises - at least until you add airfare!

The May 2015 Transatlantic and Panama Canal cruises are definitely the best values of all the new cruises. It amazes me that the Fantasy summer cruises cost more than the 7-night Norway or Baltic cruises - at least until you add airfare!

Those are during the school year. The best value is always when the kids are in school. Not everyone can pull their kids.

I was watching the PC. Seems higher than the TA still a god value but much higher. For some reason I thought it would be cheaper than it is.

Obviously I was clueless on prices! We've only done 3 night cruise and planning 4 night in November. I was hoping we could splurge a little and do 7 night Europe or Alaska. But after checking prices, alas it is not to be. When I factor in airfare and then all those port activities we want to try, it blows our $10,000 budget for family of 4.

Sad, but at this time in our lives we just can't do it.

I am still blessed and will just 'have' to enjoy the shorter cruises instead! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

Best wishes to everyone booking today!!

Those are during the school year. The best value is always when the kids are in school. Not everyone can pull their kids.

I was watching the PC. Seems higher than the TA still a god value but much higher. For some reason I thought it would be cheaper than it is.

The 7-night Europe cruises are not during the school year. Not only that, but the May Fantasy cruises cost as much as or more than the PC and TA cruises. The May 1 Panama Canal cruise has a lower starting price than the May 15 Transatlantic cruise. However, the taxes on the PC cruise are much higher ($225.48 pp vs. $71.59) than on the TA.

The 7-night Europe cruises are not during the school year. Not only that, but the May Fantasy cruises cost as much as or more than the PC and TA cruises. The May 1 Panama Canal has a lower starting price than the May 15 Transatlantic.

Oh I was not even thinking about the Europe cruises! Oh the airfare, lol! That completely negates the savings. I meant the ones you could take from Northern America.

The 7-night Europe cruises are not during the school year. Not only that, but the May Fantasy cruises cost as much as or more than the PC and TA cruises. The May 1 Panama Canal has a lower starting price than the May 15 Transatlantic.

Oh ok about the PC. I must have been looking at prices that weren't comparable by accident. Not the same # of people etc.

Online booking seems to be up and the prices on the 5nt cruises in July on the Dream are OUTRAGEOUS!!

I priced the 5 night Dream at the end of July and was surprised how close in price it was to the 7 night No. European cruises in June. I think the European cruises are definitely a better value on a per night basis, especially considering they actually visit REAL ports (I don't count CC or Nassau as real destinations). Since we can't afford the airfare to Europe we ultimately ended up deciding on the first 4 night in August. Didn't pick that one based on price but just on the fact that the date works best for us. Our DS will be 18 next May so he will age out of his summer swim team and their end-of-season banquet will be on the day of that last 5 night cruise. We decided after 7 years of swimming on the team he shouldn't miss his last / senior banquet. Waiting now to hear back from our TA on our cabin number / confirmation / price.

The 7-night Europe cruises are not during the school year. Not only that, but the May Fantasy cruises cost as much as or more than the PC and TA cruises. The May 1 Panama Canal cruise has a lower starting price than the May 15 Transatlantic cruise. However, the taxes on the PC cruise are much higher ($225.48 pp vs. $71.59) than on the TA.

I was shocked by the May prices on the Fantasy. Not as shocked as was by the 5 night May 10 cruise on the Magic. I was expecting the prices to be lower opening day. I can't even comment on Summer prices, but many families seem willing to pay it.

I got an 11B cabin for Alaska for a good price it seems $2618 for 2 on June 22nd. It's now 2 week cruise but it's definitely reasonable for me. The 7 night Europe was about $400-600 more. The airfare would have blown it away. Even with air miles I don't want to travel all the way there to do just 7 nights and come home. I wouldn't have been able to afford more than one overnight stay or any extended land and your time. With Alaska I might didn't a couple of days in Vancouver but that's it. It's close enough to return. I wouldn't feel the same return feel ease about Europe and would disappointed at not having more $$ for more time.

I think the reason the PC is usually lower price than a 7-night is that most US families can't take that long a vacation for a 14- or 15-night cruise. For Europe, again many families would need more vacation time to travel there -- more so than for a cross-country flight -- and while there are airfare deals, many such international flights are extremely expensive. Taxes are based on the ports, not the cruise length, and are entirely non-DCL controlled.

I was shocked by the May prices on the Fantasy. Not as shocked as was by the 5 night May 10 cruise on the Magic. I was expecting the prices to be lower opening day. I can't even comment on Summer prices, but many families seem willing to pay it.

Yep I looked at all of the cruises I really wanted to do...4 and 5 nights...and was just shocked myself. Sorry our family of five can't be spending $6800 on a 5-night cruise. I even checked into August dates but I'm not sure I even want to part with the 4K or so for that one. :)

Now I'm thinking we'll be better off doing a 5-night W Carib on the Wonder...in January. With Verandah we can get that for closer to $3500 for five of us. Even after paying for flights to Miami, it won't come close to the prices of those summer only cruises. :confused:

I guess we can always hope for some last minute discounts. :confused3

An 11C on the May 10, 2015 5-night Magic cruise is $850 pp plus taxes. That to me is a better value than $1,435 pp plus taxes for an 11C on the May 2 7-night Fantasy - which is the least expensive of the May Fantasy cruises. The least expensive June Fantasy cruises start at $1,995 pp plus taxes on June 6 - which is really outrageous!

I can't figure out why people want to sail to the Bahamas and Caribbean during the summer when it is hot as hell - but that's just me. Give me Alaska/Canada, northern Europe, or the southern hemisphere when it's hot in the US!

An 11C on the May 10, 2015 5-night Magic cruise is $850 pp plus taxes. That to me is a better value than $1,435 pp plus taxes for an 11C on the May 2 7-night Fantasy - which is the least expensive of the May Fantasy cruises. The least expensive June Fantasy cruises start at $1,995 pp plus taxes on June 6 - which is really outrageous!
I just got finished booking the May 10th cruise. 11C is sold out, so 11b is $900 pp plus taxes. Not sure if we will be keeping the cruise, but happy it's at least booked for now!

I think the reason the PC is usually lower price than a 7-night is that most US families can't take that long a vacation for a 14- or 15-night cruise. For Europe, again many families would need more vacation time to travel there -- more so than for a cross-country flight -- and while there are airfare deals, many such international flights are extremely expensive. Taxes are based on the ports, not the cruise length, and are entirely non-DCL controlled.

Transatlantics cost less because they are during the shoulder season, and they are usually heavy on sea days and light on ports. (The better the itinerary - the more expensive the Transatlantic cruise.) **They also begin on one continent and end on another.** However, what I want is a long Disney cruise that won't break the bank, and the May 2015 Transatlantic fits the bill. It also has more interesting ports than past Transatlantics.

My comment about the taxes was comparing the price of the 14-night Panama Canal cruise to that of the 15-night Transatlantic. The PC cruise has a lower starting price - but higher taxes than the TA.

There's a long thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247430) about people choosing other cruise lines over DCL due to the latter's high prices. DCL has a wonderful cruise product, but I will gladly let others pay the big bucks for the pricey summer cruises.

**ETA - I don't think the TA is less expensive because families can't travel that long. They probably can't travel that long if their children are still in school, but the longer cruise length hasn't stopped folks from booking the 12-night Med cruises in 2014 or the 12-night Baltic cruises in 2015. The expensive April and October 2012 Hawaii cruises were also long and during the school year. However, they were roundtrip from LA.

You're right that Transatlantics cost less because they are during the shoulder season, and they are usually heavy on sea days and light on ports. (The better the itinerary - the more expensive the Transatlantic cruise.) However, what I want is a long Disney cruise that won't break the bank, and the May 2015 Transatlantic fits the bill. It also has more interesting ports than past Transatlantics. My comment about the taxes was comparing the price of the 14-night Panama Canal cruise to that of the 15-night Transatlantic. The PC cruise has a lower starting price - but higher taxes than the TA. There's a long thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247430) about people choosing other cruise lines over DCL due to the latter's high prices. DCL has a wonderful cruise product, but I will gladly let others pay the big bucks for the pricey summer cruises.

Oh so you were just looking at the voyage fare without the taxes? I was looking at the entire price.

Where can one find your list for room preference?

On my computer, its my own personal list of what rooms I prefer by category. I got the last 7a available on deck 6. The room directly above would have been my preference, other than the secret verandah rooms which were gone too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter