2011-2012 Boston Bruins (Offseason)

Thought I heard this morning that he wanted to sit out so he could be ready and play during the 2014 olympics. If true, that seems a mite selfish to me.

To me, it wouldn't matter if it's true or selfish. Just looking around the league today, I put Thomas at about the 5th best American Goalie. Behind Quick, Howard, Schneider and Miller. Not to mention which or if a phenom might emerge in the next 2 yrs. So even if they carried an extra goalie in 2014, it wouldn't be Thomas unless 2-3 people were injured or said "No".

To me, the Olympics is just a deflection. Try to garner the slightest of positive press on this issue.

Anyone read the article in Sunday's Herald about Mark Recchi? I think it's great he's interested in front office work and that the Bruins have "had discussions with him and expect to have more". Whether or not there is a place for him is unknown and he does still live in Pittsburgh where he started.
I found it interesting that when the team was struggling last Oct they considered calling him to entice him to come back and he says he would have listened. I just wish him luck and would love to see him involved.

I missed the Recchi article. I'll definitely have to look for it. I'll also have to look for the report Aaron Ward made on CBC yesterday, pertaining to Timmy.

Speaking of Canada, looks like the Habs have their new coach. Looks like Michel Therrien will be standing behind the bench this year. And the most important question is answered. YES, he can speak French. In less important news, he has also won a Stanley Cup before.

Therrien did not win the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh. He was fired in February, 2009 when the Penguins were out of the playoff race. He was replaced with Dan Bylsma and the Pens continued on to win the Cup. Did Therrien ever win the Cup?

Therrien did not win the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh. He was fired in February, 2009 when the Penguins were out of the playoff race. He was replaced with Dan Bylsma and the Pens continued on to win the Cup. Did Therrien ever win the Cup?

My apologies. I misread the release (or stopped reading too soon). He led the Pens to the Stanley Cup finals, losing to Detroit in 6.

Damn this twitter-verse :furious:

First, let me congratulate the LA Kings on their Stanley Cup victory. But on a side note... Am I the only 1 that was swearing up and down that the Kings beat the B's for the Cup in the 90's (post Gretzky trade) and couldn't understand why the signs said the Kings never won? I'm starting to feel like the Adjustment Bureau is working with the NHL.

But now the offseason is officially in the swing of things. The 4th line will be 100% back next year thanks to the Campbell signing and a minimum of 2/3 of the 3rd line will be back with the Kelly signing. To me, this says the writing is on the wall. The B's are going to ship Krejci. They have their 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers locked up for at least the next 2 yrs. And the Bruins will want Seguin to step into the center role as soon as possible. Add that to the 2 things that the Bruins need in this offseason, a high scoring winger and the cap space to sign him, shipping Krejci seems like the logical solution. The down side is that if the Bruins look to trade for someone like Kane, instead of going through free agency, they will have to include Lucic with him. But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Trading Krejci could be a win/win situation. Especially if the B's send him to an offensive schemed Western Conference team. He will be able to only focus on shooting and passing and not have to worry about the zones, corners or covering his man.

I have a new found respect for Jonathan Quick. Not because of his skill. Not because of his shutouts. Not even because of the Conn Smythe award. But because of the way he threw around the F bomb at the Stanley Cup rally.

Hilarious :laughing:

Uh BDL, the Bruins lost the Cup to Edmonton in '88 and '90(post Gretzky). The Kings were only in one Cup finals in their history when Gretzky was there and lost. So that was their first one.

I hope the Bruins were watching when the Kings got that 5 min power play cause they would have learned a valuble lesson-ATTACK! That's how a power play works.

Glad to see Kelly and Campbell back. Now we see what happens when free agency starts.

Uh BDL, the Bruins lost the Cup to Edmonton in '88 and '90(post Gretzky). The Kings were only in one Cup finals in their history when Gretzky was there and lost. So that was their first one.

All the facts seem to point to that. Oh well. The early to mid-90's were not my most sober period. Worcester State College was a lot of fun (what I remember of it :crazy: ).

Less than 2 weeks til the new NHL year... Let the frenzy begin.

Congrats to Patrice Bergeron on his well deserved Selke Award. Now the league has recognized what Bruins fans have known for a while. Bergeron is THE top 2-way center. And kudos to Seguin. While reading the tweets at the bottom of the screen during the post-awards show, he congratulated him and finished with "...#rolemodel".

THAT... For people who kept whining that Seguin should've been partnered with Krejci (looking at you Felger) is why he was partnered with Bergeron. To have someone teach him responsibility on the ice (responsibilty off the ice is taught by Thornton).

Also, here are the Will Arnett clips from the show last night. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo0AqkbYzZU

Good news all...

The 2012/2013 schedule is out now. The Bruins season begins with an away game against the Flyers. And guess who the B's open up at home with...? You got it.

The Montreal Canadiens.

YES!!!!!!!!

4.5 months til the season opens and I can't wait.

My congrats also to Bergeron, long overdue.
Loved the Shanahan parody skits last night, very funny, particuarly the one with Bettman.

Haaaaaaaaa... hahaha... Holy BLEEP... Yeah... BLEEP YEAH!!!

And that sums up my reaction to the Bruins drafting Subban at #24. I thought there might have been a chance that the B's might draft him. But just figured Subban wouldn't be available. Thanks to a run on D's, the #2 ranked goalie was available and he won't have to be rushed along.

Can't wait for preseason.

Haaaaaaaaa... hahaha... Holy BLEEP... Yeah... BLEEP YEAH!!!

And that sums up my reaction to the Bruins drafting Subban at #24. I thought there might have been a chance that the B's might draft him. But just figured Subban wouldn't be available. Thanks to a run on D's, the #2 ranked goalie was available and he won't have to be rushed along.

Can't wait for preseason.

Congrats on drafting the 3rd best Subban in the family.

Been having internet problem lately so I'm just getting caught up.

Drafting Subban - Verrrry interesting. That should make for some good fuel to the B's-Habs rivalry in a few years. Tuukka and K for now.

What about that contract Wideman got! Calgary either sees something the Bruins never did, or their entire front office needs psychiatric help. I'm guessing the latter.

Yesterday was a busy day in the NHL.

...For just about every team that was not the Bruins.

But I think there was one move that was a direct result of the Bruins though. The Sabres traded Derek Roy for Steve Ott. Ott is known throughout the league as an instigator. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the Bruins. Just go to youtube and in the search field type "steve ott Bruins" and see what you come up with. Here is a game from 2008 . I was at that game. It was all energy and the zebras saved Ott and Avery at every turn and that's what led to the brawl.

There is no way anyone can convince me that this isn't a reactive move to the Lucic hit on Miller last year. Especially with Gaustad now with the Preds. It will certainly make the October 30th game a lot more interesting.

By the way, the highlight of that video was watching Savard light up Avery at the 7:20 mark. And then there was the elbow from future Bruin Marty Turco...

That seems to be the theme of the Bruins' aquisitions this year. First they aquire Chris Bourque, the son of Bruins legend Hall of Famer, Ray. Now, they might have even trumped that move by signing center Christian Hanson. The son of one of the infamous Hanson Brothers from the movie Slap Shot (and Bud Ice commercials), Dave Hanson. Christian Hanson has spent a bulk of his career in the minors, but has stints in the NHL. He is projected to start at Providence but will be given the opportunity to compete during training camp.

Anyone planning on wearing Groucho Marx glasses to the pre-season games?

I am concerned that the team isn't getting involved in looking for possible upgrades. A "source" says they are not pursuing either Nash or Ryan and I can't understand that. I know giving up Lucic or Krecji would be tough but sometimes such a move is needed.
Of course it's kind of iffy if we'll even have a season since the CBA negotiations don't seem to be going anywhere and the owners suggestion of lowering the salary cap is going to cause big problems. You would think the league(both sides) would have learned something the last time they lost a whole season. The NHL is popular again, they can't afford to wreck it.

I am concerned that the team isn't getting involved in looking for possible upgrades. A "source" says they are not pursuing either Nash or Ryan and I can't understand that. I know giving up Lucic or Krecji would be tough but sometimes such a move is needed.
Of course it's kind of iffy if we'll even have a season since the CBA negotiations don't seem to be going anywhere and the owners suggestion of lowering the salary cap is going to cause big problems. You would think the league(both sides) would have learned something the last time they lost a whole season. The NHL is popular again, they can't afford to wreck it.

It is a touchy time to try to get a big name, big contract player. Whether there is a season or not and if not, what does that do for contracts? Granted, the Nash point is moot, having been traded to NYR. And contrary to what some sports radio personalities may say (Felger), there was no way a deal could've been struck. Some sports radio personalities (Felger), say that all the B's had to do was ship Krejci, Kelly, a Prov. prospect and a 1st rd pick. On the surface, this rivals the NYR deal. But if you actually look at it, IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! The reason Columbus dealt Nash (besides his disgruntled nature) is the $$$$. They are not going to take back almost the same amount of money that they are shipping out, just cuz the pieces match up. Columbus is probably saving a couple of million on the 3 players they got vs. Nash's contract.

Also, I'd like to say congrats to Claude Julien on his contract extension. And I'd like to say happy birthday to Patrice Bergeron. You sometimes for get how young he really is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter