2002 Unofficial Guide

rbalcom

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if the touring plans that are in the 2002 Unofficial guide would still be helpful when planning our days in the parks this year. It's borrowed and I've read it cover to cover. But will the advice help with our upcoming March trip or should we buy a new one? Looking at the 2004 version quickly in the bookstore it seemed to have basically the same informatiion. Any input would be great. Thanks

They do considerable work to update the guide each year. In addition to the new attractions and shows that have been added (and some that have been discontinued), the
02 guide was compiled prior to 9/11/01. In that time, some of the info on EE and , of course, security have changed. They also take great care to update the hotel info.

They're better than no tour plans at all but I'd invest in the 2004 guide just because it's better at taking advantage of FASTPASS and accounting for new attractions.

Thanks Micca and Matt.

Hi rbalcom,

I work for the Unofficial Guide and wrote the computer software the Guide uses to create its touring plans. The plans in the 2003 and 2004 edition are improved significantly from 2002's edition. On a busy day in the Magic Kingdom, for example, you can save an additional 90 minutes of standing in line using the new touring plans.

The 2004 edition has updated plans for every park, and new "touring plan companion" pages that summarize every attraction, restaurant and good rest stop in each park.

If you have any other questions on the Guide, feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

I agree. I just got the 2004 version (my last was the 2001). Lots of new info. In the scheme of what you are going to spend on your trip - what's an extra few $$?

Get the new one! I love the pull out guide in the back. That alone is worth the price. If you sign up for the Boarders bookstore newsletter they will email you printable coupons for 10%-15% off any purchase.
PM me if you want me to forward it to you.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely get the new edition. I loved reading the first one and just wanted reassurance that I was going to get enough new info. We are going at a busy time so I'm hoping to maximize our time in the parks. :)

Don't forget your library! You can just borrow the book and return it for others to use. Help a fellow WDW planner.

Marie

Previously, I had the 2000 Unofficial Guide to WDW, and I thought, "How much can change in a few years?" The answer: a lot!!! I received the Unofficial Guide to WDW 2004 on Saturday and have read it to page 95 and skimmed the rest. Already, there is great new info. and I can't wait to keep reading!:Pinkbounc

By the way, I got my copy online at Walmart.com for $11.33. (Shipping and tax not included) I also got the 2004 WDW Passporter for $13.83. (spiral edition) Total for both books with shipping and tax = $29.59.

Hope that helps!!!:D

I have the 2003 edition. Is it smart for me to get the 2004 edition?

Just curious as to whether 2004 is a lot different than 2003 edition.

Thanks

Heidi in PA

Hi disneysnowflake,

The 2004 edition contains updated touring plans for Epcot and the Animal Kingdom, plus new cut-out "touring plan companion" pages for each park. These are one-page sheets that describe and rate every attraction, restaurant and nice place to take a break in each park. I believe this is the "pull out guide" HaleyB referenced in her post (thanks HaleyB!).

The touring plans themselves are more efficient than the 2003 edition. For example, the Epcot touring plans not only reduce the time spent waiting in line from 2003, but they put you in a better position to make dining choices in World Showcase, and put you closer to the best spots for Illuminations.

Besides that, the off-site hotel ratings now contain more than 250 hotels. We've included a new transportation map that shows the amount of driving time you'd expect to have if you stayed off-site at any of these. If you're considering staying off-site, I think the 2004 edition will help you out significantly.

Hope this helps!

Len

Len,

What do you suggest for the best strategy for touring Magic Kingdom for an 8 year old boy? It's his first trip and he's rode one rollercoaster before and liked it, although his friend just got back and didn't like Space Mt which was a surprise to me. I'm just not sure where to start in MK. We are going President's Day week. Our first day in the parks is 2/16 and I'd like to start in MK but wonder if I should wait due to the holiday. I'm on the fence but thinking a 2/16 half day MK strategy might be the way to go. Getting there ASAP in the morning (we are staying off-site.)

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks Heidi! Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi WilliamsMom. I'd hold off on the MK until Tuesday, 2/17. Monday is likely to be busier than Tuesday because of the holiday.

I just got back from WDW with my 5.5-year old daughter. She went on Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain several times. William shouldn't have trouble with those. Space Mountain's a toss-up. One idea would be to explain to him that it's an indoor rollercoaster that goes about as fast as Big Thunder, but in the dark. That'll put it into a perspective he may relate to easier.

The Tomorrowland Transity Authority is a slow-moving ride around the outskirts of Tomorrowland. It's very relaxing, which is why most people ride it. But it also goes through the inside of Space Mountain, and you can see some of the attraction from the TTA. You might want to take a quick spin on the TTA to see if William is interested in Space Mountain. I think those two things will probably help you to gauge his potential reaction.

As far as what to see first...I'd go with the two-day touring plan in the Unofficial Guide. It's comprehensive and should minimize your wait times. I like the half-day strategy. Perhaps stay 'till noon, grab something to eat, then head back to the hotel for a nap. (The nap's for you, not William. :) .) You could return to the park in the late afternoon/early evening, or go somewhere else. How's that sound?

Sincerely,

Len

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter