2 Story addition with bath - Ballpark cost??

Kies99

I Can has Cheezburger???
I'm in Pittsburgh PA.

We are ("were" is more like it now with the market) considering a two story addition on the back of our house and wondering if anyone can give us an idea of what to expect.

It will be 2 rooms, one on top of the other. Bottom room will be addition to our family room and upper room will be a master bath. We definitely plan to go cost-effective on the fixtures as well as I and my FIL can do the drywall and electric.

Any idea on a ballpark figure for doing the foundation, framing and brick/siding?

(We may go 1/2 brick and 1/2 siding as that's what we have now.)

We did an addition 5 years ago and it cost us about 60 thousand. We put on a 2 1/2 car garage and on top put a masterbedroom with walk in closet, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub, small computer room and laundry room. The computer room is about the size of a walk in closet. We added about 1000 sq feet. We also had a lot of concrete work involved in the price. We did vinyl siding on the outside. Most of the amount was for material because our labor was under $10,000. We were very fortunate because we did most of the work ourselves. We also had to put in a seperate heater/ac. We didn't do a lot of upgrades, most stuff came from home depot. I hope this helps you figure out the price.

Currently we are doing a 3 story (full basement, 1st and 2nd flr) 16X24 addition to our house. All work done with General contractor company (none ourselves). 105K. Full basement, 1st flr family room and study, 2nd floor master with old master converted to master bath. 12 windows, additional heating system, hardwood floors, cedar siding. Not the best of the best but good materials.

about 8 years ago we did a full on kitchen gut and expansion- by about 20 feet into the back of the house- a pretty big extension- one level but KITCHEN heavy- so think big costs on the cabinets and the appliances. It was $75,000 total but about 15-20,000 of that was appliances and sinks and stuff.

We also did enclose a porch once and that was only $10,000. There was no foundation to pour- just a floor to lay and walls to put up and a better roof.

Guessing what you are talking about- I would say around $100,000
Oh and that was on long island and it was all siding.

We've gotten a lot of quotes lately for around the same thing, just building on a master bed/bath (framing in only) and adding on a long portion for our kitchen/dining area. We've gotten quotes from 50,000 to 75,000 :( Most contractors we've called said they are covered up with work though....so obviously the economy isn't hurting them too much and they aren't giving any breaks for 'medium' jobs.

Good luck finding someone and getting the work done that you need :) It's stressful and we've put ours on hold until we get through the whole economic crisis thing. Not to mention adding that much $$$ to our current home would never be recouped if we sold so we have some decisions to make.

We've gotten a lot of quotes lately for around the same thing, just building on a master bed/bath (framing in only) and adding on a long portion for our kitchen/dining area. We've gotten quotes from 50,000 to 75,000 :( Most contractors we've called said they are covered up with work though....so obviously the economy isn't hurting them too much and they aren't giving any breaks for 'medium' jobs.

Good luck finding someone and getting the work done that you need :) It's stressful and we've put ours on hold until we get through the whole economic crisis thing. Not to mention adding that much $$$ to our current home would never be recouped if we sold so we have some decisions to make.

:scared1:

Hoping for less than that!! We'll see. We also have put ours on hold until Spring at the earliest although we're moving ahead with getting quotes and such.

My inlaws recently did a 15x20 foot addition (family room with vaulted ceiling) and redid their kitchen (flooring, cabinets) etc. They did not get new appliances except for a new dishwasher and microwave. Definitely nothing was top of the line, in fact they scimped on a lot of it and it was about $50k.

Go ahead and get your general contractor quotes to get an idea of the cost, but consider being an owner/builder. Check out The Owner Builder Book (ownerbuilderbook.com). DH acted as the general contractor on a major addition of his brother's house (great room, master bedroom, master bath). The quotes came in around 70K and he had it built for around 30K by doing the subcontracting himself. We are currently building a new house for ourselves and are discovering that the contractors here are hurting for work. They are stopping by, dropping off flyers, calling us, etc. Also, material prices are pretty low right now. Lumber is at something like an 8-year low. Roofing prices just jumped a little bit, maybe around 20% but that jump is up from a previously low price - I think they said it had something to do with oil production. There are LOTS of things to consider! Good luck to you!

Wow! I was hoping an over the garage master bedroom addition would be a lot less, considering you can buy almost a whole house for $100,000! Thanks for sharing your business website.

You also have to compare apples to apples for where YOU live. Here in CT you cannot get a house for $100,000 - at least not any that I have seen. Different parts of the country have different house pricing. You can get a lot more house in parts of the midwest and south for the same price here in CT.

We bought our house in 1998 and we could NEVER afford to buy it now, as the house prices have gone WAY up since then in this area.

So, if you aren't in CT, your estimate may be much different.

Has anybody done it or is it even possible to get a modular addition? I want to put on a 2 car detached garage with a room over the top and was wondering if any of the modular home type companies have pre-made versions of this? It would seem cheaper and easier to pour a slab and place something pre-made on it than to have to design and build something from scratch. Anybody seen or done anything like this?

Keith

We are currently in the process of adding a 1200sq ft second story addition to our house ( 1 lg bedroom, lg bathroom, spare/storage room, lg livingroom w/ bar). In addition we are also relacing all windows downstairs, siding the entire house & 2 car garage, adding a 20ft covered front porch, new doors & shutters downstairs. We are doing all the work ourselves w/ the help from a few experienced friends. We are doing all this for $30,000. (in this budget we also bought a new 10x10 shed, riding lawn mower and new grill).
I must say, we are really fortunate and lucky :) as my mom (lives her too) works for Lowes. This is how we have been able to get materials so cheap. So ours is not your typical story.

Good luck on your project!

This is a very interesting thread. We just met with an architect to discuss designing a 2-story addition to our house. It involves expanding an existing summer kitchen on the back of the house to family room size, with a bedroom, dust porch on the second floor, total square footage around 700'. We had been thinking 50K but he said he would not be surprised if it cost around 100K. He said $150 per square foot was a good estimate. We are in Maryland, about an hour from DC and Baltimore.

A year ago, we added on a room out over our garage and did a number of other home repair/upgrades at the same time (repainted the entire interior, new carpet, new hot water heater, added a new AC/heater unit for the addition, etc.). We're in Texas, and it cost us ~$60K. That was probably at least 25% less than it would have cost us if we had done the work a couple of years earlier. I know that because we got estimates a few years ago, freaked at the cost, waited to save up more money, and by the time we had the money to pay for the addition, costs had gone down. We spent about the same as the original estimate that made us freak out, but we got a LOT more for our money.

All the contractors told us that remodel/addition work costs more per square foot than new construction. Get several estimates! We were shocked by the range of prices we got. Thoroughly investigate your contractor! We had friends who lost a ton of money when their contractor went bankrupt after tearing off the roof of their house :-(. Your contract should state that you'll pay after chunks of work are done (any existing teardown, pour foundation, framing, roofing, etc.). That limits your liability and makes it more likely that your contractor is paying of his subcontractors in a timely manner. We ended up writing about a check a week for the work that was done.

Good luck! We know we will never earn back all the money we spent on our addition. However, we bought our house to live in it, and we ABSOLUTELY LOVE the new game room we added on. We have gotten so much use out of it that it's worth it to us.

We live in the Pittsburgh area as well and just had an architect out here this week discussing an addition as well! We're using a "friend" contractor and so I'm sure we're not going to be charged quite the same as going through someone else. He quoted us for a 2 story addition, master bath, master bedroom, family room, powder room and 2 stall garage for $60-80k. Now we also want to redo the kitchen, new siding on the whole house, new roof, windows, floors, tub in other bath annnndddd new furnace and a/c so I'm sure we're well over $100k by that point. We had ligo architects come out and just got their proposal for their part and will most likely use them for the work in the spring!

We're in Northern, VA and put a 2-story addition on 3 years ago. We bumped out our bedroom, added a bedroom, new bath on the top and a huge finished "man cave" on the bottom. It was around $110k and included everything (plans, contractor, supplies, work, paint, etc). I think the addition was around 15x30 on each level.

I'm in Northern Virginia and interested in something similar. Would you mind telling me which contractor you used?

OP I'm right next to you in Peters Twp. Our friends just put on a one story addition, family room on the back of their home.
It was a contractor they knew who subbed it out. It costs them about $40,000.
Additions certainly aren't cheap. Then you have to figure in, will you actually get the money back out of everything you put in?

We're in Northeast Ohio, and few yrs ago had a 14x16 addition added on, which we divided into a master bathroom and walk-in closet. The price included:

The foundation,
Cemented crawl space,
Electricity run/outlets,
Water lines,
Ductwork for heater,
Siding,
Roofing (included a fake widow's peak for asthetics),
Painting (inside),
All fixtures including: shower, toilet, double-sink countertop, big wall mirror, lighting, closet shelving, pocket door for between the bathroom and closet, and flooring (linoleum in bathroom and carpet in closet).

Our total was about $31k.

I think this depends where you live. We got a quote last year for a house we were considering purchasing that included an expansion and new HVAC system for the house.

The expansion included a kitchen remodel - opening the existing kitchen to the back (to make the kitchen larger) and adding a family room. Upstairs in the new addition would be a master bedroom with a master bath. Total additional square footage in the two floors would be almost 900 sq feet. We were quoted $240,000 - $260,000. This is Atlanta (smack in the middle), where prices are much higher than the country. Needless to say, we did not buy that house, we thought the estimate was very high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter