2 people 1 wheelchair?

WonderlandisReality

DIS Veteran
Does Disney allow 2 persons in 1 manual wheelchair (not ecv)?

Backstory: I have 2 cognitively and physically disabled children for whom I push in a custom double pediatric adaptive stroller. This item is too wide by WDW standards so they squish into a standard double stroller when we are there . Next month trip is unquestionably the last time we will be able to pull off this hack. They have a couple years until they grow out of their current device at home. We are looking into another custom designed unit that is basically a high capacity manual wheelchair. But this time I will make sure it’s within the size box at Disney. In the interim time will WDW allow two young teens to ride in the same WC pushed by me as they don’t have the ability to maneuver their own?

@WonderlandisReality are you using one of WDW wheelchairs or your own? I'm no expert on this but if using theirs I can see a possible issue, but if your own I think much less likely they will have an issue.

Have you inquired about your own stroller. If it is needed and doesn't fit the stroller requirements, A "handicap" stroller as a wheelchair can be used. Please call Disney Disability Services at 407-560-2547. They will explain, and you can ask any questions or discuss your concerns

Have you inquired about your own stroller. If it is needed and doesn't fit the stroller requirements, A "handicap" stroller as a wheelchair can be used. Please call Disney Disability Services at 407-560-2547. They will explain, and you can ask any questions or discuss your concerns

We did. They said no. Our current one is 36.5 inches wide.

You will see people with 2 children in a rented wheelchair at Disney parks pretty frequently. People do rent them instead of renting or bringing 2 strollers. BUT, they don’t look very comfortable - the wheelchairs have sling seats and the kids tend to ‘settle’ bumped up against each other in the middle.

Bjkandma posted the phone number for Disability Services; I was going to suggest the same thing. I noticed you did call and they said it was too big. They were probably looking at stroller size, not WHEELCHAIR size, which can be up to 36 inches wide.
The biggest reason for size restrictions are the size of lines. Lines are sized to fit a 36 inch wide wheelchair - I don’t think 1/2 inch will make much difference as far as fitting in lines or wheelchair spots for shows.

Even though the phone CMs told you no, I would still bring it.
The CMs at the park will be the deciders (and would be even if the phone CMs said it would be no problem). The park Guest Relations CMs may make exceptions for size when it is being used as a mobility device.
Worst case scenario - if they say no, you can still get a wheelchair to share and your stroller can be held at the rental area for you.

We will be coming with our own manual chair. I’m planning on my daughter and me trading off (I have RA and she’s a major escape risk) there will be a second adult. If need be can we share?

We did. They said no. Our current one is 36.5 inches wide.
Please try again by calling Disability Services. I know you said you did and they said no. Disability Services is a separate department. If you explain that it is used for medical and is an adaptive stroller to meet those needs, they should explain how to get a "tag" making stroller a wheelchair.

We will be coming with our own manual chair. I’m planning on my daughter and me trading off (I have RA and she’s a major escape risk) there will be a second adult. If need be can we share?
I would say if she can share the seat with you. She would not be allowed to ride on your lap. I would think that would be a liability issue.

There isn’t anything ‘tricky’ about requesting a ‘stroller as wheelchair’ tag and it doesn’t need to be arranged ahead of the trip.
Just go to Guest Relations at any of the 4 theme parks and explain that your child(ren) will not be able to wait in lines without their stroller. The tag is a red tag with a white wheelchair symbol that gets attached to the stroller sort of like a luggage tag.
They do tag double strollers if that’s what the family has - even if only one of the children has a disability. The Guest Relations CMs at the parks are able to make exceptions to size; I would not expect an exception to size if the stroller is way bigger than the acceptable wheelchair size because lines are sized to accommodate a standard wheelchair.

There isn’t anything ‘tricky’ about requesting a ‘stroller as wheelchair’ tag and it doesn’t need to be arranged ahead of the trip.
Just go to Guest Relations at any of the 4 theme parks and explain that your child(ren) will not be able to wait in lines without their stroller. The tag is a red tag with a white wheelchair symbol that gets attached to the stroller sort of like a luggage tag.
They do tag double strollers if that’s what the family has - even if only one of the children has a disability. The Guest Relations CMs at the parks are able to make exceptions to size; I would not expect an exception to size if the stroller is way bigger than the acceptable wheelchair size because lines are sized to accommodate a standard wheelchair.
Yeah, I saw them say that it is 36.5", which may be where the issue is? Although, 0.5" bigger shouldn't be an issue, the official rules say it is, even for a wheelchair.

Please try again by calling Disability Services. I know you said you did and they said no. Disability Services is a separate department. If you explain that it is used for medical and is an adaptive stroller to meet those needs, they should explain how to get a "tag" making stroller a wheelchair.

When we spoke with them it was Disability Services. There was no need to get a tag because it’s not a device that is ever used as a standard stroller. It’s two Maclaren major elites that were professionally combined into 1. The issue was it was oversized for WDW.
We won’t make that mistake with the next device we have built but all the current designs we have on that are basically variations on a baratric wheelchair with customizations to the seat and foot rests. It looks like 2 people seated in 1 wheelchair.

When we spoke with them it was Disability Services. There was no need to get a tag because it’s not a device that is ever used as a standard stroller. It’s two Maclaren major elites that were professionally combined into 1. The issue was it was oversized for WDW.
We won’t make that mistake with the next device we have built but all the current designs we have on that are basically variations on a baratric wheelchair with customizations to the seat and foot rests. It looks like 2 people seated in 1 wheelchair.

I'm impressed that every CM you encountered knew that it wasn't a standard stroller, as they look like strollers to me :) Glad you had no issues!

I think this is your problem. Your chair is wider than many emergency exits and egress pathways.
I agree. But hoping to solve it by getting a different device by the next time it is needed, just trying to brainstorm solutions. Not a lot of options out there for anything more than a 1:1 caregiver ratio with manual chairs, which is unfortunate. There’s lots of good input on this board and people have quite a bit of insight based upon their experience in the parks. Oftentimes more than what I encountered or thought of.

I agree. But hoping to solve it by getting a different device by the next time it is needed, just trying to brainstorm solutions. Not a lot of options out there for anything more than a 1:1 caregiver ratio with manual chairs, which is unfortunate. There’s lots of good input on this board and people have quite a bit of insight based upon their experience in the parks. Oftentimes more than what I encountered or thought of.
Fair, the other concern I would have is that the rules do indeed state one person per device, but from our experience it doesn't seem that this rule is enforced, but it should be noted that is the official rule.

It may be more often enforced when one is sitting in another’s lap and the chair (or more frequently) ECV is in motion. There is likely more risk when one of the people in the chair or ECV is powering/steering the device and holding on to the other person at the same time. That’s not saying that one should ignore the rule or expect it not to be enforced, however.

Last edited:
It may be more often enforced when one is sitting in another’s lap and the chair (or more frequently) ECV is in motion. There is likely more risk when one of the people in the chair or ECV is steering the device and holding on to the other person. That’s not saying thatmone should ignore the rule, however.

Exactly. I don't ever want to set an expectation that Disney *might* Pixie Dust someone, and then find out later that they were booted from the Parks for breaking a rule that I encouraged them to ignore... Far better to plan ahead and try to overcome any obstacles, and then any Pixie Dust that does occur is truly Magical :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter