2-Hour Layover in Pearson going to Orlando- Enough Time?

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
Hey all! I've booked a flight from Edmonton to Orlando, leaving around midnight and touching down at 5:50 am in Toronto. The initial layover time was about 2h20 (that was the longest I could get that wasn't 6-18 hours)... BUT, WestJet, in their infinite wisdom, keep creeping up the departure time of my connecting flight. Now it's sitting at 1h50 from touchdown to takeoff.

Now, I've done Pearson a lot, so while I have the experience, I know how badly organized and huge it is. I usually do way longer layovers than this for good reason. At least once a plane I've been on has sat on the tarmac for 1-2 hours for "plane reasons" and I was one of the few people not worried because my layover was so long. Both near-misses I've had have been Pearson-related (though going the opposite way- Toronto to Edmonton- and in the middle of the day).

Checking just the past month (not sure how to check further without paying), the flight has been on time every day but one (6:50 vs. a 5:50 expected arrival), but I forget how long domestic to international takes there. Their website indicates there's a "save your spot in line" option like Genie+ in Disney- I might go for that just in case.

Think we need to know the date you fly. Not the exact day but generally early, middle or late 'month of . . .". I haven't done that layover from Edmonton to Pearson so I'm no help there. Generally, very early morning flights out of Pearson often fly on time without delay. Generally. Will depend on weather related delays impacting WestJet planes and Toronto weather. My gut is weather delays esp winter snow storms where the airline scrambles to move planes around is not as big of an issue for WestJet as it is for Air Canada with its larger fleet esp AC planes to/from the Maritimes. Like all layovers, def take your potty break on the plane in the hour before you land and hopefully you're in a good cabin forward seat even aisle seat so can get a jump on deplaning.

Ah, it’s early May. Tends to be better weather but I’ve seen ice on the wings needing attention, too.

It’s in terminal 3 which apparently has the slowest times around 5-8am, which is good.

Hoping someone with more experience with the domestic to international in Terminal 3 can chime in.

I'd be comfortable with approx 2 hr layover in Terminal 3 WestJet to WestJet in May.

If first flight running late, may be a WestJet rep waiting at the gate to shepherd you and other MCO passengers through the Terminal. Hopefully, your flight's on time and all goes smoothly.

I never have luck with connections through Toronto (from Ottawa). I, personally, won't connect with less than 3 hours. 4 hours and my blood pressure stays where it should. That buffer has come in handy on more than one occasion.

I should add I'm risk averse. It all depends on your level of comfort and how many of you are travelling.

I think you will be fine with 1h 50m for your connection in May. I have flown from Winnipeg to the World and other US destinations connecting through Toronto, and have never had a problem connecting through there, even on a tighter layover (I think the tightest was 1h15 minutes. That required some running). My experience has been with both AC and WJ, I think you will be fine regardless of airline.

Have a great trip!

Hoping someone with more experience with the domestic to international in Terminal 3 can chime in.

I'd be comfortable with approx 2 hr layover in Terminal 3 WestJet to WestJet in May.

If first flight running late, may be a WestJet rep waiting at the gate to shepherd you and other MCO passengers through the Terminal. Hopefully, your flight's on time and all goes smoothly.

It’s not domestic to international. It is domestic to trans border. You’ll be fine. As long as you have checked your bags through to Orlando you’ll deplane. Follow the signs for connections to the trans border area go through American standards security. Clear US customs and go on your way. Get the MPC app and have it ready to go and it will help you get through American customs faster.

They’ve been an hour or more late twice in the past two weeks but that’s it. On the plus side Westjet has a LOT of flights from Toronto to Orlando each day so if they do me wrong here, I’ll still get in that day.

I’ve done the red eye from Edmonton multiple times with no issues.

How busy is security then, generally?

Good news! I've been watching flightradar24 and my flight generally touches down on-time or early 5/7 times at least, though occasionally there are MASSIVE delays. Like 2-3 hours. Which would probably make me late no matter what (which is somewhat better than "touch down with a half-hour to go- enjoy your heart attack!").

WestJet seems to fly from Toronto to Orlando pretty frequently daily, and those flights are usually delayed MUCH more often than YEG-YYZ (some are outright cancelled! Something must be up weather-wise over the past week there). So that's kinda good news in that even a delayed flight can probably make it.

Given the rules (which WestJet is not always keen to follow, if you Google them and find news from this year), they'd have to put me on one of the other flights, or even a competitor's, at no cost. Also my vacation is like 11-12 days long so a small delay isn't the worst thing.

Good news! I've been watching flightradar24 and my flight generally touches down on-time or early 5/7 times at least, though occasionally there are MASSIVE delays. Like 2-3 hours. Which would probably make me late no matter what (which is somewhat better than "touch down with a half-hour to go- enjoy your heart attack!").

WestJet seems to fly from Toronto to Orlando pretty frequently daily, and those flights are usually delayed MUCH more often than YEG-YYZ (some are outright cancelled! Something must be up weather-wise over the past week there). So that's kinda good news in that even a delayed flight can probably make it.

Given the rules (which WestJet is not always keen to follow, if you Google them and find news from this year), they'd have to put me on one of the other flights, or even a competitor's, at no cost. Also my vacation is like 11-12 days long so a small delay isn't the worst thing.
Not sure it’s the weather. My brother and his family’s flight from Hamilton to Orlando on Westjet was cancelled last week. Mechanical issues with a wing. The plane has been out of service for over a week. Yesterday it was supposed to do the Toronto to Edmonton run. Both flights were canceled. Today that plane is scheduled to fly to Punta Cana.

Not sure it’s the weather. My brother and his family’s flight from Hamilton to Orlando on Westjet was cancelled last week. Mechanical issues with a wing. The plane has been out of service for over a week. Yesterday it was supposed to do the Toronto to Edmonton run. Both flights were canceled. Today that plane is scheduled to fly to Punta Cana.
Makes sense. I’ve sat on the runway for “plane reasons” for hours before. Did they get put on another flight quickly? And was WestJet accommodating?

Makes sense. I’ve sat on the runway for “plane reasons” for hours before. Did they get put on another flight quickly? And was WestJet accommodating?
My brother immediately booked a Delta flight out of Detroit and they drove the three hours to make the 2 o’clock flight. Westjet gave a refund. There was a flight the next day out of Toronto. They put the people up in a hotel and bussed them at 4 AM from Hamilton to Pearson.

OP…just want to wish you lots of luck (and Pixie Dust!) for you Pearson connection. We have made many desperate dashes through there, and at least you no longer have to go through security between flights and the US pre-clearance procedures are faster than ever. Every minute counts.

Definitely use a washroom before landing! If you know you will be hungry on the second flight, it can really help to pack some food, either at home or from the Edmonton airport. Or, plan to order from WJ’s food menu. We had one unlovely flight home, when my 89 yr old mother realized she was not going to sit and enjoy soup and a biscuit before boarding the plane. We were lucky to grab Timbits to go. The 3 pre-schoolers thought this was a fun dinner but it was not what we had envisioned. Our 3 hr layover was shortened by a flight delay in Orlando, and the convoluted mess of connecting flights in Toronto. I am just glad we were coming home, not starting our vacation on that stressful note.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter