2-22-07 3 Day Wonder. Life Stinks...

As I enter our stateroom, sitting there right out on the counter is the tip envelopes that Grace had left in our room last night. It’s a grab and go, ALL RIGHT! Then I remember. My wife had decided not to use the tip envelopes, but instead was using thank you cards she had purchased before we left home. These are nowhere to be seen. After 10 minutes of searching, I give up, and head upstairs to Animator’s Palate. Yolande meets me at the door, and of course remembers that I’m at Table 25. I inform the boss (aka my wife) that I couldn’t find her thank you cards. At which time she lets outs a breath of exasperation for my incompetence, and heads for our stateroom. 2 minutes later she was back. One problem, though. In our busyness of the last 24 hours, we hadn’t sorted through everything. Over the next 45 or so minutes, my wife was sitting there filling out the thank you cards. I know Witt and Miguel were wondering what she was doing with all these cards she kept writing in, and then handing to me to verify the cash was right and did I think we needed to add more or not. (We invariably did.) Finally, after debating tip amounts at the table, and her writing furiously, we seal the envelopes just in time for dessert. Now, I’m not one to normally eat dessert at all, and over the last 3 days, I’ve eaten a dessert at practically every meal. I’m pooped out on desserts. When Witt asks me what I want, I reply “Nothing.” “You want no dessert?” “Nope. Not tonight. Nothing for me.” A few minutes later, desserts come out, and Witt brings me a plate, with “Nothing” written in chocolate on the plate. He thought he was funny. I went ahead and ate it.

One thing about the show at Animator’s Palate. Does everyone think it’s overrated? I think the problem with it is that it’s a neat show, but everyone has made it out to be this really incredible thing, and you just can’t do anything extraordinary in that kind of setting. It’s a nice little touch, and is probably the one restaurant that you don’t want to miss, as long as you remember the show is a nice background feature but is not by any sense of the imagination a dinner play that will entertain you for the full hour.

So, what do you do on the last night of a cruise that you have thoroughly enjoyed? Pack, of course. It’s interesting to note how much harder it is to get everything back into your suitcases this time, even when you’re holding the souvenirs off to the side. But after packing, there’s a few last things we have to take care of.

#1 – We head up to the top deck to have a final glass of champagne and celebrate the memories of the trip. As we took the aft elevator, a few of the Microsoft guys on their way to Palo for dinner got on with us. Remember the exchange I heard on Thursday: “This cruise will be horrible. There’s way too many kids on board.”

Tonight’s conversation was: “I wonder what they’re going to do next year. They have to switch cruise lines every year, but none of the other lines are going to be anywhere near as good as Disney.”

How things change, huh?

#2 – We pulled the trigger. Back to the future cruise desk for the secret verandah room 7620 on the Sept 23 4 day Wonder cruise. Yeah, we’re coming back. The only debate was whether we wanted to do another one this year, or wait for the double dip cruises next year.

We’re gonna do both.

On our next episode…HECK NO, WE WON’T GO!

#2 – We pulled the trigger. Back to the future cruise desk for the secret verandah room 7620 on the Sept 23 4 day Wonder cruise. Yeah, we’re coming back. The only debate was whether we wanted to do another one this year, or wait for the double dip cruises next year.

We’re gonna do both.

On our next episode…HECK NO, WE WON’T GO!

:banana: :banana: That's the cabin we'll be in on the April 15 - 4 day! I'll let you know how we like it.

Who in the world actually makes a sit-down 6:30 AM breakfast on the last day of a cruise? I know one family that wasn’t going to. We all agreed that we would meet about 7:30 at the buffet. This is the first time that I will have been to the buffet, and I have to admit that it was better than I thought it was going to be. The other cruises I’ve been on have always had buffets that were a major step down compared to the dining rooms, but this one actually seemed to be pretty nice. After the buffet in which we sat outside and watched the people leaving the Carnival ship next door, we made our way to the atrium. We descended into the luggage area, where we found our bags with no delay, and then made our way to customs. It literally took no more than 2 minutes and the 6 of us were on our way to the minivan we had all come together in. I was wishing we would get delayed, but no. The cruise was over. Now was the time to return to the harsh reality of the real world, and paying for all the fun we’d had in the last few days, as well as the fun we’ll be having in September. All I can think is that my wife and I will be on Castaway Cay again in less than 7 months.

For now, it’s back to freezing temperatures, fast food, and traffic jams. Back to cleaning the house and writing out bills. Back to being entertained by television rather than Mickey Mouse. Back to a night with the dogs, rather than in a magical world with princesses. Back to a view of kids riding skateboards in my neighborhood rather than a view of the sunset on the ocean. Back to life.

Life stinks.

The fire at Cape Canaveral which we could see from the ship

Fire.jpg

Sail-away!

Ears.jpg

Never found out what this ship in Nassau was:

Ship.jpg

Why does this scare me?

Donald.jpg

Stingray at Atlantis:

Ray.jpg

This is how you make a postcard:

Postcard.jpg

The "secret" beach we found when we accidently strayed into the CM's area just past Serenity Bay:

Beach.jpg

My "Nothing":

Nothing.jpg

At least when I can't see you photos, probably somehting I'm doing wrong!

Hey, they were there when I previewed the post. It appears that Kodak does not want to share the pictures. I'll figure something out.

Mozart- I'm going to be on the same 4 day cruise in Sept. as you! Love your report, esp. the part about eating "nothing"! I got the red x in place of your pics.

Bump to see if the photos work this time.

As we took the aft elevator, a few of the Microsoft guys on their way to Palo for dinner got on with us. Remember the exchange I heard on Thursday: “This cruise will be horrible. There’s way too many kids on board.”

Tonight’s conversation was: “I wonder what they’re going to do next year. They have to switch cruise lines every year, but none of the other lines are going to be anywhere near as good as Disney.”

As one of the "Microsoft guys" on this cruise (note that most of us were not actually from Microsoft), I do have to say I'm surprised that anyone said anything like "This cruise will be horrible. There's way too many kids on board." There were comments from several people throughout on how much more kid-oriented the cruise was, compared to others that they had been on (this was my first cruise - I don't know the difference!). But, I don't think I heard anyone complain about it the whole time... And, people were regularly commenting on how well-run the cruise itself was during the whole trip!

Thanks for the trip report - I was curious to see how someone who actually got to experience the full cruise found it (and curious about how much impact, if any, our conference had on these other folks)...

What a great storyteller you are! I think somewhere in there that while my first cruise is in August somehow I will be booking another one! Great job!

This really has been a great read as we were there too!!
I celebrated my 40th Birthday on 22nd in Nassau & yes there are a lot of jewelery shops!! DH just had to buy me a ring!!
Our vacation began & ended in Orlando doing all the parks but the Disney Wonder cruise was definately the highlight of the entire trip!!
I'm very envious of you doing it all over again in Sept, only wish we could too but its a long way from the UK, we will just have to wait a few years to save up the money!!
Thanks for sharing & making the memories all come flooding back for us! x:love:

Oh my gosh, Mozart, that is the most fun I have ever had not being on a cruise! I loved your report! We are going on our first Disney cruise in May, and I can't wait! Thanks for sharing your cruise with us!

Has anyone out there done the dolphin encounter on Nassau? I'm especially curious about the "observer" option. My Mom and Mother in Law will be with us, and neither one can walk very fast or very far. We usually put them in wheelchairs, but I read that this excursion is not appropriate for strollers or wheelchairs. Is it a long walk? Do we have any chance of getting them there to "observe"?

What a wonderful trip report. We are going on the three day Wonder Cruise Feb 14 next year and now I'm really excited about going. Thanks for the tip about Atlantis. We will have our DS 5 & 7 with us and they love to walk but not that much I'm sure. We'll stick closer to port so that we can go back on board for lunch and snacks. Love this pictures again thank-you for sharing. I was surprised how much they can pack into a 3 day cruise.

Thanks so much for writing this!

You just saved me from booking the Atlantis gig.

That's what I had contemplated booking on a next quick cruise as just being pummeled from attempting to just go shopping was such a miserable experience for us.

I'm starting to think the sting rays or dolphns are looking pretty good! LOL

Oh my gosh, Mozart, that is the most fun I have ever had not being on a cruise! I loved your report! We are going on our first Disney cruise in May, and I can't wait! Thanks for sharing your cruise with us!

Has anyone out there done the dolphin encounter on Nassau? I'm especially curious about the "observer" option. My Mom and Mother in Law will be with us, and neither one can walk very fast or very far. We usually put them in wheelchairs, but I read that this excursion is not appropriate for strollers or wheelchairs. Is it a long walk? Do we have any chance of getting them there to "observe"?

The trip from the ship to the encounter is on a little ferry that is not the most wheelchair friendly. I think they would try to help and accomodate you but mom and MIL would have to navigate a few stairs on and off the ferry, fromt there it is about 100-200 feet of dock to the obeserving area. There is a short set of stairs that you take to the "briefing" area but your family could stay on the main level and still hear the lecture. It could be done but they would have to move a little. You know them best, just my $.02 worth

Thanks so much for writing this!

You just saved me from booking the Atlantis gig.

That's what I had contemplated booking on a next quick cruise as just being pummeled from attempting to just go shopping was such a miserable experience for us.

I'm starting to think the sting rays or dolphns are looking pretty good! LOL

Lovable darlin....

Just fly out of Vegas again... I'm sure it's better!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter