1st WDW Trip with DVC

hhisc16

DHHIR owner, DISDAD
Our first WDW trip with DVC was the best trip we have ever had to WDW!:teeth:

The trip was 12/19 to 12/23 in a studio with 3 DVC resorts over 4 nights! (Limited availability and cancellations)

12/19 We drove to WDW from SC (6 hours) and arrived at AKL around noon.
The room was a Value Studio at AKL Jambo and it was ready around 2. We walked into the room and realized it was a savannah view when DD1 ran to the window and pointed at the animals! We enjoyed the resort and went to Disney Springs that afternoon, but wow it was busy at DS!

12/20 For the first full day, we went to EPCOT and used the early hour plus the deluxe hours with a break in the day. The park was busy, but we lucked up with walk ons for the early hour AND the deluxe hours! We had scored a second night in the AKL Value Studio and DD1 loved watching the animals from the balcony.

12/21 On the next day, we moved over to BRV (VWL) into a studio. Our room was ready by noon! Since we scheduled a day without a park, we planned a DVC visit to Riviera, then rode the Skyliner, visited the Gingerbread House and ate a nice dinner at Geyser Point.

12/22 For the last full day, we went to Magic Kingdom and used the early hour to our advantage. We moved into PVB studio for my birthday and my wife surprised me with a birthday gift basket from Disney while we were on an afternoon break. This room was not ready until 4, but we did use a luggage transfer this move. We were able to ride everything we wanted throughout the day and were too tired for the deluxe hours.

12/23 On the last day, we enjoyed a breakfast at PVB, then went to BLT to eat lunch and view the rooms. We spoke with a DVC guide and added on 25 points to HHI after watching the resale market for 6+ months for a small contract in our use year without luck. (Now 100 points at HHI)

Positives:
1. DVC resorts are unique and each had its own positives (AKL, BRV/VWL, PVB)
2. 1st trip with DD1
3. Deluxe/Early hours

Negatives:
1. Long drive with a 1 year old
2. Makes me want to add more DVC points...
3. Parks were not relaxing since it was busy (as expected!)

Since we enjoyed our 1st WDW DVC stay so much, we booked a 1 night studio stay at our home resort of HHI to relax from the trip!:beach:

Last edited:
Sounds like a great first trip! We are planning for our first DVC stay for later this year at BLT. We will be taking our 1 year old for his first Disney trip. I have to ask how were the parks with a 1 year old? Anything we should plan for since this will be our first trip with our child? I am already not looking forward to our 9 hour drive with a 1 year old.

Sounds like a great first trip! We are planning for our first DVC stay for later this year at BLT. We will be taking our 1 year old for his first Disney trip. I have to ask how were the parks with a 1 year old? Anything we should plan for since this will be our first trip with our child? I am already not looking forward to our 9 hour drive with a 1 year old.
We drove roughly 6 hours with our DD1. Left early in the AM to get there and left late in the PM to come home.
DD1 loved Epcot and Magic Kingdom. She napped around the world once in Epcot. She napped on Small World and Ariel at Magic Kingdom. She wanted to eat everything and see everything.
With a 1 year old, plan on taking your time. With BLT, you will be able to return for naps from Magic Kingdom. She napped in the stroller at night during the deluxe hours while we ride swapped.
I would recommend asking for a pack n play at BLT. We had to ask for one at each resort.
We ate only quick service due to a one year old and each place had milk and a high chair ready. We did mobile order so it was ready when we arrived to eat quickly.
Enjoy your first trip! We are ready to plan our 2022 trip!

Were you charged for parking? I had heard somewhere that if you are renting DVC points there is no charge for parking but I didn't know for sure. We are renting points and staying at the Poly this summer. We'll be driving down and not having to pay parking charges would be great.

Were you charged for parking? I had heard somewhere that if you are renting DVC points there is no charge for parking but I didn't know for sure. We are renting points and staying at the Poly this summer. We'll be driving down and not having to pay parking charges would be great.
If you are staying on points, you will not be charged for parking. Even it you are renting DVC points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter