• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st time car renter question

floridascgirl

DIS Veteran
We need a mid-size SUV rental in Jackson, Wy. for 7/10-7/19 and boy did I flip when I saw the quote of $1300. :eek: We are members of AAA, Costco, and all the car loyalty programs...I tried lots of combos.

I saw today that it inched down to $1000 on the Hertz website with a AAA member discount applied, but that is still waaaaay more than I want to pay. I've noticed that it's still too early to apply most coupons (or they aren't honored in Wy.).

My main question is should I go ahead and reserve at this rate or just wait till some coupons come out for my dates? Do I need to "hold" my car? Also, I know that I can always rebook if I see a better deal. Do you then just modify your existing reservation online or do you cancel and rebook...losing your "held" car anyway?

Thanks to all of you experts in the field!!! :goodvibes

I am wondering the same thing. we need to rent a car in ft. myers and drop off in Orlando a week later after we go to sea world. I am getting quotes of$800+ for one week with an SUV or mini van, even with discount codes. We are a family of 5 so we would rather have an SUV or van.

Just wanted to let you know I found a site called rentalcarmomma and i went to the Avis discounts page and got a quote there for a free upgrade. It gave me $621.31 for a mini van for a week. a little better.

I am wondering the same thing. we need to rent a car in ft. myers and drop off in Orlando a week later after we go to sea world. I am getting quotes of$800+ for one week with an SUV or mini van, even with discount codes. We are a family of 5 so we would rather have an SUV or van.

Have you tried with Budget using BCD x474200 (travelocity code) and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30.00 off. Note coupon will be applied when you return minvan.
https://book1.carrental.com/dcweb/a...&budgetCoupon=MUGZ029&CID=W852802_30offweekly

Does anyone have any advice on my original question in the 1st post...specifically, the last few lines? Thanks! :goodvibes

If I need to rebook I cancel and book it. But I have the lower rate offer already in a browser in case it disappears between cancel and rebook.

I always book the new/cheaper rate before I cancel my existing reservation. Note that the best rates are usually found 1 to 2 months prior to the rental date, hence it's a bit too early for your July trip.

Thanks for your replies and the tip about rebooking before cancelling. I would have thought that the system would have recognized an already existing reservation. I'll just keep my eye on things for now. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter