1st DVC stay (BWV)

Bucketfoot

Mouseketeer
Just got back from our first stay as DVC members. We had a 1-bedroom at BWV for nine nights.

I wasn't really sure what to expect with so many comments about how badly a refurbishment is needed, but I’ve got to say that some of you peoples must have some really high standards!

To be fair this was our first stay as DVC members and we never saw the place when it was new and fresh. But we have stayed in a DVC 1-bedroom at Aulani as well as the Grand Floridian hotel and several times at the Grand Californian. So first stay at BWV and I just don’t see what makes people say it is in “drastic” need of refurbishment.

Now I can understand things like wanting the rooms updated with a murphy bed instead of the sleeper sofa. Fortunately for us housekeeping had mattress pads available which made the sofa much more comfortable for our adult daughters. Our biggest complaints were minor things like the washing machine and dishwasher being quite noisy and the lights on our porch being burnt out.

As for the rest, first I have to say that the location is absolutely fantastic. We opted for VGF as our home resort to be on the monorail line, but walking to/from EPCOT & Hollywood was a breeze (other than the lack of trees between BWV and Hollywood in 90 degree/90% humidity). Overall it was a very good first DVC experience and we are looking forward to starting to plan out our next trip.

Agree with you! BWV is our home resort and we stay in the 1 bedrooms, too. Maybe those who say that the rooms are in dire need of a rehab mostly stay in the studios?

Love the location. Walking almost always seems better to me than a bus, monorail or boat. Happy that the Skyliner is just a short walk away, too. Recently bought points at VGF & looking forward to our stay there right after Thanksgiving. Walking path was a big draw - our first add-on since our initial purchase in 1999. :). I see many split stays in our future!

BWV is a great resort and we were there in May and again this November. Location is the best, however the villas are in need of complete renovations. Despite that we'll be there for a few nights in November for access to EPCOT.

We have a trip in a few months in a one bedroom. We've stayed at a studio a few times, never a one bedroom. Glad you like it.

Love BWV! (1st home)

We often get 2 studios per visit and we have (at times) had 1 that could use some love and 1 that was pristine. We stay Standard and I'm guessing they are almost never left empty, so basically, they get the most wear and tear.

We stayed at SSR in a 1 bedroom when the rooms were brand spanking new and our table had a huge heatmark on it and there were a few other "less than perfect" items that I can't recall... maybe a stain on the carpet etc....? People can be pigs and clearly I got a room that was just recently inhabited by such. Didn't affect my opinion of the resort. (2nd home) Always stay Preferred as we love to walk to DS at night.

Currently debating VGF as 3rd home mainly because of the walking path. We even used the walking path while staying at Poly. Would prefer BLT - just can't stomach the BLT direct price and would prefer direct points. Ugh!!!

Clearly, we prioritize being able to walk somewhere. Though, just recently stayed at OKW and loved our room and the resort (but we did have a car). So, maybe we're just easy to please!

Staying @ BWV for our Xmas trip. Couldn’t believe the waitlist actually came through! Haven’t had the opportunity to stay there in a longtime. Love the location. Leaving Epcot after NYE will be a breeze now.

We've owned BWV for 20 years and until the last five, the majority of our trips were there (for the past five we've been offsite). I think a large part of it is a matter of expectations. For our first trip we had a Boardwalk View room and having read reports here, I didn't expect perfection. And I didn't get it, nor have I ever gotten it. I got a room that was clean (except at some point pancake batter had gotten between the panes of the oven and there were some door knobs missing or perhaps some rails from drawers - that was common back then although about ten years ago the furniture was replaced and the newer furniture seems to be better made). Because I wasn't expecting perfection, I was delighted with the room). In our twenty years we've had torn curtains (but only slightly, not shredded), drawer pulls and rails missing or broken, and a towel bar hanging loose on the wall, pulled out from one end. A grand villa chandelier missing some of its prisms and a side table that was missing its leg held up by a block of wood (same grand villa). But not expecting perfection, knowing that sometimes there are scuffs on the walls, stains on the couch, and maybe a small tear in the curtains, we've never been disappointed in the room. It has always been clean (although not everyone has always walked into clean) and serviceable.

We were expecting to enjoy BWV better than BCV. I think the location is slightly better however every stay at BWV had a negative so we gave up. Now that ESPN has been eliminated we tend to not use the boardwalk area at all unless we're staying at the Dolphin.

We've owned BWV for 20 years and until the last five, the majority of our trips were there (for the past five we've been offsite). I think a large part of it is a matter of expectations. For our first trip we had a Boardwalk View room and having read reports here, I didn't expect perfection. And I didn't get it, nor have I ever gotten it. I got a room that was clean (except at some point pancake batter had gotten between the panes of the oven and there were some door knobs missing or perhaps some rails from drawers - that was common back then although about ten years ago the furniture was replaced and the newer furniture seems to be better made). Because I wasn't expecting perfection, I was delighted with the room). In our twenty years we've had torn curtains (but only slightly, not shredded), drawer pulls and rails missing or broken, and a towel bar hanging loose on the wall, pulled out from one end. A grand villa chandelier missing some of its prisms and a side table that was missing its leg held up by a block of wood (same grand villa). But not expecting perfection, knowing that sometimes there are scuffs on the walls, stains on the couch, and maybe a small tear in the curtains, we've never been disappointed in the room. It has always been clean (although not everyone has always walked into clean) and serviceable.
I completely agree and will undoubtedly return after the rooms have been updated.

We were expecting to enjoy BWV better than BCV. I think the location is slightly better however every stay at BWV had a negative so we gave up. Now that ESPN has been eliminated we tend to not use the boardwalk area at all unless we're staying at the Dolphin.
I haven't heard a lot about people missing the ESPN club. Seems like it was mostly for reluctanct DH needing an escape. What about ESPN club do you miss?

Do you think that the new restaurant will replace it, or will you be staying elsewhere going forward?

What about ESPN club do you miss?
The food - we liked their burgers and sandwiches. Also, we never had to make a reservation, just walked in (but we didn't go there when there were major athletic events such as football on Fall Sundays). I was surprised that it closed. It seemed to always be busy when were staying at the BWV.

I'm hoping the new restaurant will have something besides sweet snacks. There's always plenty of other places that have that.

I was surprised that it closed.
Whether true or not, I don't know but when we were there during a trip (possibly March of 2021) and did a DVC open house the guides were talking about ESPN Zone. The issue they said was that the company that ran the restaurant no longer wanted to pay the fee to use the ESPN name. Again, no clue if this is true, but that is what we overheard while doing the open house.

I haven't heard a lot about people missing the ESPN club. Seems like it was mostly for reluctanct DH needing an escape. What about ESPN club do you miss?

Do you think that the new restaurant will replace it, or will you be staying elsewhere going forward?
We've no interest in a sandwich shop. ESPN had a ton of memorabilia, sometimes a trivia show, special events for football games and just a nice relaxed atmosphere with a ton of different sports on different TVs instead of the same sport on all TVs. It was just a relaxing place with good drinks and fairly good pub food. The crowd was sports oriented and, even when crowded, good natured.

It was a walk-in, with better food than Big River, and a 30 refuge from "Disney" - I do miss it.

I have no interest in a frilly sandwich and cake place that might have been better suited taking over Grand Floridian Cafe or added on to RR along with a curiously missing Spa.

frilly and very expensive cake and sandwich place if it compares with their other locations... Disney doesn't seem to get it. Hoping I am wrong.

We were there in late October and as others have mentioned, the villas are really tired or at least the one we were in. Not terrible, but definitely showing wear.

Stayed at BWV twice. Once was our 1st ever DVC stay and another back in 2015.
Both were studios, and I think the 1st one in 2012 wasn't refur'b but I believe the next one was... The greatest asset to us was proximity to both parks...Walkable as well... And one of the 1st to sleep 5 in a studio...Separate beds is KEY!!!!.lol for the kiddos that is.
The only drawback (if any) is that there is no dedicated Q.S. attached or TS. other than FF. Other than that this place is awesome...

We are VGF owners as well and while VGF is our love we recently stayed at Boardwalk for the first time (never had any interest in the vibe or anything), well we just fell in love with Boardwalk. First off we never actually saw the grounds only the front on the Boardwalk but the grounds and pool are awesome. Great gym. The Boardwalk part is great would stop and roast marshmallows on the way out to Epcot at night then coming home later and all the entertainment is great. I forgot the name of the little lounge inside just an awesome resort. We are actually back and forth with adding on there. The 2042 date is what we are back and forth on. We just listened to a DVC podcast about the 2042 resorts and we are back and forth LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter