Me, Theresa
My DH Tony (Tony64)
My sister Mandy (MandyJane)
My Brother-in-law Peter (FleetPete)
My Nephew Andrew (16)
My Nephew Kieran (12)
And dd Maddie (MaddieB)

Sunday 17th October

Despite having quite a late night, we woke up at 4.15 and couldn’t get back to sleep. We poked our heads out of our room (our Master suite was next to the lounge) and saw that Kieran was already up, so we made pots of tea and coffee and popped some cinnamon rolls in the oven for breakfast.

It wasn’t long before everyone was up and we were out of the door by 7.30 am, arriving at the gates of Islands of Adventure by 8.30.

Nearly there:

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures025.jpg

Eagerly awaiting rope-drop:

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures026.jpg

We were let through the turnstiles almost straight away. There was a rope drawn across the far end of Port of Entry, however we were allowed through after just a few minutes wait. With the rest of the hordes, we raced through Suess Landing (some people were sprinting like their life depended on it), taking a short cut around the side of Green Eggs and Ham, to Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

FloridaOct2010Tonyspictures081.jpg

FloridaOct2010Tonyspictures087.jpg

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures029.jpg

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures038.jpg

The theming is fabulous, but we tried hard not to stop and look at anything as our goal was to get to The Forbidden Journey as quickly as possible. We grabbed a locker, threw our things in, and joined the queue.

There are so many great features inside Hogwarts as you queue – talking pictures etc, but the queue was moving too fast to take it all in, plus we had put our cameras in the locker so couldn’t take photos anyway!

Near to the front of the queue, we were split into two groups as Mandy thought she would be more comfortable in the modified seats (in fact, I think she would have been ok in the regular ones), so they were ahead of us in a different line. As Tony, Maddie and I got to the front, the ride broke down. Knowing the others were already on it, we laughed at the thought that they could be stuck in the spider part we had heard about – and they were! Mandy hates spiders so had to keep her eyes tightly shut until it moved again. Apparently, she was right next to Aragog! :scared1::scared1::scared1:

We all enjoyed the ride and agreed we would come back to it another time, as the queue was lengthening rapidly.

After that, we did the Hippogriff ride (no wait) and then Dragon Challenge (5 min wait). So by 10 am we had done all three rides in Wizarding World. It’s definitely worth getting to the park early as by now the place was absolutely heaving with people.

The queue for Olivanders was ridiculous and there was also a slow-moving queue to get into Dervishes and Banges, so we gave them a miss for now.

We looked around Zonko’s and Honeydukes, where we bought chocolate cauldron cakes to have with our butterbeer!
We all tried it and took the necessary photos of foam around our mouths.

Cauldron cakes:
FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures035.jpg

Me:

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures075.jpg

Maddie:

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures074.jpg

Mandy:

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures072.jpg

Tony:

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures070.jpg

Peter:

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures069.jpg

Somehow, the boys managed to avoid the indignity.

We had our photo taken with the Station Master by Hogwarts express. We are all attempting a magic spell. It didn’t work – the masses of people remained. Too many muggles watching us, apparently.

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures088.jpg

Maddie and Kieran outside Honeydukes:

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures039.jpg

As everywhere was now extremely busy, we decided to come back to Wizarding World later in the day and made our way around the rest of the park; Jurassic Park, Suess Landing and Spiderman, stopping for lunch at midday and splitting into two groups. Tony and I went to Mythos and Maddie went with the others to Burger Digs.

Our lunch at Mythos was excellent as usual. I had crab cake sliders with watermelon salsa and creamy potato salad – so delicious. Tony had the filet steak and we shared the gooey chocolate banana cake, which we love.

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures041.jpg

We met up with the others and for some crazy reason thought it was a good idea to go on Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges. We know you get soaked on this ride, and we didn't want to get soaked, but we did it anyway!

Andrew, very sensibly, decided to sit out this ride and took a photo of us instead:

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures138.jpg

We really were completely drenched.

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures047.jpg

FloridaOct2010Tonyspictures093.jpg

We had to walk up to Wizarding World, dripping all the way. We went into the restrooms to try and wring out our clothes, but it didn’t help much.
We squelched around the shops at Wizarding World, which were probably even busier than before, but at least people gave us a wide berth when they saw how wet we were.

Maddie bought a quidditch shirt, a gryffindor crest banner and some Harry Potter tumblers, then some of us joined the queue to get into Dervish and Banges, and in fact it was the longest queue of the day!
It’s such a cramped shop so it can’t accommodate many people at a time. We bought some postcards (surprisingly there are only four different ones, so we bought them all) and Maddie bought a photo frame. We had all the postcards stamped with the owl post postmark when we got outside.

Then it was time for wand-buying! It's a serious business, making sure you get the right one. Here's Kieran trying them out before settling on Dumbledore's.

FloridaOct2010Theresaspictures050.jpg

FloridaOct2010Mandyspictures140.jpg

We were still very wet and tiredness was beginning to creep in by now and we decided to go back to the villa. After showering and changing into dry clothes we popped out to Walmart and picked up ribs, chicken, pizza, salad and garlic texas toast for dinner, plus a tray of mixed cheesecake slices and some Ben and Jerry ice-cream that we can’t get in England (Peanut Brittle and Milk and Cookies). There were lots of other lovely flavours including one called “Everything But The” which really did seem to have everything yummy in it.

We’d had a really lovely day and the only bad bit was when I dropped my camera getting out of the car and it no longer focused properly. Maddie said to leave it as she’s always dropping electronic things(!) and they usually work fine by the next day.

We watched a bit of American football then fell into bed.

Tomorrow: Typhoon Lagoon and the Mystery of the Disappearing Family Members.

Theresa,
I don't mean this as hollow flattery to you and Mandy and certainly don't mean to indicate that Maddie looks older than her years but honestly, take a look at the sequence of beer lips and tell me, doesn't it look like you're three sisters? WDW seems to work like a time travel tonic for you and Mandy. Don't they say that a genuine smile works like a good face lift?

A great day Theresa. Sounds like you enjoyed some tasty food too at Mythos and from Walmart. Lovely sounding Ben & Jerrys
- I love peanut brittle.

Can't wait to visit WWoHP sometime in the future it looks amazing

Tam

Looks like you had a great day, I love IOA, it is an amzing park, especially with WWOHP now within it :goodvibes
Looking forward to day 3 :thumbsup2

What a fun-packed first day. Your comments about the rope drop sprint, made me wonder if that still happens at other parks. For years our MO was to arrive before official opening, but I can't remember the last time we did it. I can't wait to visit WWoHP, but I'm praying it will be quiet for us when our time comes.

The others don't know what they missed by passing over Mythos for Burger Digs! It's too long since we last ate there.

We always say we'll leave the wet rides until last, but then end up not doing them at all. I think the only thing for it is to get drenched and to hell with it. Maddie looks about as impressed as I do when I get my hair wet, though! :teeth:

I hope there will be some photos of the villa at some stage. I love to see the accommodation and you always seem to strike lucky on that count.

Another great day Theresa, your photos are lovely ::yes:: I can't believe how busy WWOHP still is

I look forward to your next update :)

Theresa,
I don't mean this as hollow flattery to you and Mandy and certainly don't mean to indicate that Maddie looks older than her years but honestly, take a look at the sequence of beer lips and tell me, doesn't it look like you're three sisters? WDW seems to work like a time travel tonic for you and Mandy. Don't they say that a genuine smile works like a good face lift?

That's such a sweet thing to say, Susan. Thank you. I think you are quite right about it being a tonic though. It does seem to make us feel younger!

Lovely sounding Ben & Jerrys
- I love peanut brittle.

Tam

They had so many delicious flavours, Tam. I wanted to buy them all, but I knew we'd never get round to eating them all.

What a fun-packed first day. Your comments about the rope drop sprint, made me wonder if that still happens at other parks. For years our MO was to arrive before official opening, but I can't remember the last time we did it. I can't wait to visit WWoHP, but I'm praying it will be quiet for us when our time comes.

The others don't know what they missed by passing over Mythos for Burger Digs! It's too long since we last ate there.

We always say we'll leave the wet rides until last, but then end up not doing them at all. I think the only thing for it is to get drenched and to hell with it. Maddie looks about as impressed as I do when I get my hair wet, though! :teeth:

I hope there will be some photos of the villa at some stage. I love to see the accommodation and you always seem to strike lucky on that count.

There's definitely still a rope drop sprint at Hollywood Studios, Deb. Everyone races to get to Toy Story Mania before all the fast passes run out! It's not quite so bad at the other parks.

Mythos was fab. We never pass up a chance to eat there.

Theresa the tash looks quite good on you...ya wear it well.:lmao:

fab day and you managed to avoid the long queues.

I always end up buying a new dress when getting wet at IoA. I must remember to pack an spare dress with me next time.

Great photos

Susan

Great day, and wonderful photos, you all look as though your having a brilliant time:goodvibes

Fab pics and wondeful day. Looks like I missed you by a day or so :(

Must say the Forbidden Journey is excellent :teeth:

Claire ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter