17 days of Deluxe Dining With Two Adults, One Disney Adult, One Child, And A Platypus

We stay at WL regularly and love Whispering Canyon! It is quiet at breakfast and lunch though so you should definitely check it out for dinner....it's so much fun! They really ham it up and even if your server isn't as into it (just like at 50's Prime Time) you get to watch and listen in on all the other antics.

Just make sure you get a table in the main room, not in the back.

So we arrive at the check-in dask for California Grill twenty minutes late!!!

The girl takes our info and I explained that we were late because we just transferred to Caribbean Beach and they did not bring our luggage so we would have our clothes for this evening until around 6:00pm and we ran to get here as soon as we could. She said she did not think she could seat us. I almost started to cry! I was so angry and frustrated with Caribbean Beach and how they handled things and now we were going to miss out on a wonderful dinner becasue of them...

Well, the girl goes to talk to the manager and comes back to say she was told to call up there and see if they could seat us. So she did. And then can. But it might be a while. That's fine. We understand. It wasn't California Grill's fault we were late. they ask if we want to wait down here or go up and hang out until we are called. I asked the kids (because Lou had no clue what he was in for) and they wanted to go up. So we pile in the elevator and are taken up. We're told of the observation decks and let go. Skye and I went to the bathroom and when we come out Lou and Tyler are there saying our table is ready!!!! WOW, really???

And so it was. And our evening got better from here.

We were not at a window this time but who could complain! We were towards the back of the room next to the rail that was between us and the isle before the kitchen. So we could watch the cooks while they cooked.

And our table was even decorated for our celebration!

We were left with our menus...

And our wonderful waiter, Ron, showed up. He was great. He was very talkative, yet very busy. Very knowledgeable and very helpful! Our waiter last time was efficient but not all that overly concerned with us. He explained the menu and the kids and I ordered our coke and diet cokes and Lou had a Blue Moon.

Ron brought out bread, butter, and fish crackers...

Skye did not want the kid's salad that is on the menu...it is really skimpy and while she likes salad, she wasn't in the mood...so Ron had her brought out a fruit salad. It was awesome and her eyes lit up when she saw it!

Lou ordered the Rotisserie BBQ Chicken brick oven-fired flatbread with Chipotle-Corn Salsa, Roasted Peppers, Smoked Cheddar...

It was really good and huge. We all could have shared it!

I had the...I don't know...It is listed on the receipt as "market app 1" and I don't see anything that looks simular on the current menu. Maybe it was a special that night??? Anyone know??? I believe it was seafood something or other...I know it was good because if it wasn't I would remember bad food at California Grill...but I don't!

And Tyler did not get an appetizer because we were paying out of pocket for him tonight.

After appetizers it was time for Wishes to start so we went out to the deck to watch. For some reason my pictures are not that great but you can tell what a great, yet different, view we had!

It was an awesome show from an awesome view. It was difficult for Skye to see so Lou had ot hold her up.

Afterwards we went in and our entrees were delivered.

I had the Oak-fired Filet of Beef with smashed Potatoes, green beans, fried onion slivers, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Teriyaki Barbecue

I shared with Tyler...the meat anyway...and it was awesome. The sauce was great with the potatoes too!

Lou had Hawaiian Monchong with House-made Shrimp Dumpling, Stir-fry Vegetables, Long Beans, Shiso Broth which I could swear was halibut when he had it so maybe it was, maybe it wasn't...everything else was the same though...

He really enjoyed this. He let me taste it and it was really good! Definately something I woudl order in the future if I did not want beef!

Skye had the House-made Macaroni & Cheese...she loves it here...says it is THE BEST mac & cheese anywhere...and she is a mac & cheese expert!

And Ron had the kitchen make Tyler a cheese flatbread...just cheese...it was huge and gooey and perfect for him!

While we were waiting for our dessert Skye got silly...

Eating her Mickey Head Confetti Soup.

And of course, she had to save all the Mickey HEads so Ron made her an envelope out of a kid's menu for her to take them in...and brought her extra too!

For dessert I had The Strawberry Cheesecake...and it was delicious. It is no longer on the menu so I assume it is one of those seasonal things that changes.

Lou had the Valrhona Chocolate Cake...and it was yummy!

After delivering our desserts Ron noticed they forgot something so he told us not to eat yet and he'd be right back. In two seconds he was back with these...

As delicious as they looked beofre, the chocolate wishes just made the plate all that much more pretty!

Tyler shared with both of us...and Skye snuck her spoon in too!

Skyler's dessert was Crisped Rice Sushi Plate...

She loves this. It is so cute too! She took most of the sushi home with us.

All in all, we had a wonderful meal and it was a great way to calm down after the heck of a day we had had. Ron was great with the food, the service, and with the kids. The food was all great and Wishes from the deck was awesome!

Lou loved it and I think he sai dhe thinks that was one of our best meals. I don't know if it was the newness of the whole thing or not but I'll take it! Maybe now he'll start to realize what all th emonths and months of going over menus was for!

Our total for the evening on the dining plan was $167.61 or four adult credits and two kid's credits. We paid $16.78 out of pocket for Lou's beer and Tyler's flatbread. We left a $32.00 tip.
The receipt says it was 10:44pm when we were checked out. Figure, we got seated around 8:30pm. So this was a long meal for us. But in the past it hasn't been. I think we were just so worn out from the day and Wishes took up some time (we had never actually caught the show from there before) and we were just happy to be happy again after such a bummer of a day that we just relaxed and took our time. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food and the staff and each other. It was just all around a great meal!

Everything was perfect and we'd return again in an instant!

Loving the reviews!! My son is like Skye, he doesn't like the blackened lines on the grilled hot dogs and just refuses to eat the lol.

Hi, Sherry! I have been lurking on your report since the beginning and just decided it was time to come out and say "hi!" Thanks for taking the time to do it! Your family is beautiful and I love your reviews and pics!!!

We had dinner at CG in the summer of 2010 for DD's sweet 16, and it was probably the most magical night of our lives. I'm glad you had a great time there, too!

Loving your reviews and photos...you have an adorable family....keep it coming...

I have eaten there with my nephew a few years back but we didn't do any review. Especially one as good as this! You have a beautiful family glad you enjoyed the time together! :thumbsup2

Well, I was going to update today but the next disc I need is not where it should be...I am hoping it is in my drive at work otherwise I will not be very happy! SO I guess no update today!:mad:

Part One Deluxe Dining Analysis

$585.00 to upgrade from FREE QSDP to DDDP
+$190.00 spent out of pocket on tips
_______
$775.00 TOTAL SPENT to eat for six nights

$1541.21 total food purchased if paying out of pocket for all
- $ 775.00 cost out of pocket actuall paid
________
$776.21 SAVED by using the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan

Now, could we have eaten cheaper? Maybe. But we would not have liked to. So even if we have gone out of pocket and not done any table service meals but we actually ate what we wanted and when we wanted at counter service venues and snacks, I think we would have spend at least, probably more, that the $585.00 I spent on the plan...so for us, this was a win-win plan!

This was supposed to go before my analysis but I did not realize I had not posted it here (it was already on my trip report)...so here it goes!

We still had a bunch of snack credits to use up from our first dining plan. So we entered the Magic Kingdom...

...to use them up at The Confectionary. So with plenty of time to spare we entered The Confectionary to pick out our goodies. We stood in line and figured out what we wanted from the case. When it was out turn we ordered, it was bagged up and rung up. And what??? "Sorry ma'am but you have no credits left."...Um, yes, I do...I have approximately 13 left. So off they are to figure out if/how/why...three cast members and a manager later they figured out that they had to ring just one snack up and the receipt would tell them if there was anything left. They did that and the bottom of the receipt read "13 SNACK Cp Rm". So, Steven, the manager rang us out the rest of the way.

We left with 14 snacks for the rest of the week. And we ended up bringing some home too! $55.00 later using 14 snack credits we had...

1 nut cluster
2 vanilla cake pops
1 marshmallow roll dipped in chocolate
1 english toffee slab
1 vanilla/chocolate fudge
1 4 ounce peanut butter cup
2 chocolate dipped pretzel rods
1 bag of circus peanuts
1 blue cotton candy
1 bag of Mickey gummies
2 unicorn pops

I enjoyed your review so much, thanks for all the time and work that you put into it. You had some of the places and food that I want to try on our next trip. Your family is adorable, glad yall had a good time!

Part One Deluxe Dining Analysis

$585.00 to upgrade from FREE QSDP to DDDP
+$190.00 spent out of pocket on tips
_______
$775.00 TOTAL SPENT to eat for six nights

$1541.21 total food purchased if paying out of pocket for all
- $ 775.00 cost out of pocket actuall paid
________
$776.21 SAVED by using the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan

Now, could we have eaten cheaper? Maybe. But we would not have liked to. So even if we have gone out of pocket and not done any table service meals but we actually ate what we wanted and when we wanted at counter service venues and snacks, I think we would have spend at least, probably more, that the $585.00 I spent on the plan...so for us, this was a win-win plan!
Okay first I love your thread, but second how did you save so much???? Was it they were running the free promo and discounted the deluxe dining then? Currently we have the standard dining but really considering upgrading to deluxe we are a family of 6 2 adults and 4 children and we figure although TS is time consuming, QS will be just as long for our size of family and lets face it the QS is pretty gross.. any advice?

I enjoyed your review so much, thanks for all the time and work that you put into it. You had some of the places and food that I want to try on our next trip. Your family is adorable, glad yall had a good time!

Oh...I'm not done...that was just part one...I still have a ton left to go!

Okay first I love your thread, but second how did you save so much???? Was it they were running the free promo and discounted the deluxe dining then? Currently we have the standard dining but really considering upgrading to deluxe we are a family of 6 2 adults and 4 children and we figure although TS is time consuming, QS will be just as long for our size of family and lets face it the QS is pretty gross.. any advice?

Well, we did upgrade from FREE quick Service dining to Deluxe Dining.

And I know a lot of people don't eat the way the deluxe dining plan makes you eat, we don't even when we are not in The World. In fact, we are usually so consumed by price that we don't usually eat what we really want...we settle. So on vacation, the deluxe dining is exactly how we like to eat.

So it really depends on how you look at it.

Some people would say there is no way they would have spent $1541.21 for three people to eat for six nights...and one of the people was a child. But I'll bet, even out of pocket at counter service venues we would have spent at least $500.00 on meals and that is without snacks or extra drinks or mucs for refills at the hotel (which we actually do use). So After all of that, we probably paid for the deluxe dining plan about what we would have paid for what we would have eaten without a dining plan so everything else is just gravy!

And with 4 kids under 10, you would probably get even more benefit from the dining plan.

And I though the same thing about time. By the time you pick the counter service venue you want to eat at, stand in line, order, find a table, retrieve any utencils or condiments you may need, then eat and clean up after yourself, you probably could have been seated in a climate controlled room and been waited on with better food!!! the difference ends up being minimal I think.

I am having a hard time thinking about a trip without the Deluxe Dining plan!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter