• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

13-month AP question....

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
Here are my projected vacation plans...

October 15-20, 2017...BOOKED:goodvibes...no kids, just my friend and I.
October 14-19 OR 21-26, 2018...tentatively planning to do a mother/daughters trip so I bought (2) 5-day park hoppers before the price increase.
October 19-26, 2019...going with parents, sister/nieces and my DD's (no crabby hubbies!); I bought (2) 7-day park hoppers before the price increase because I was not sure what my AP plans would be in case I decide to take another "solo" fall trip in 2020.

I bought (1) 13-month AP and planned to use it for my 2017/2018 trips. Then it dawned on me...my friend who is coming with me is eligible for the military tickets. She can get 5-day park hopper tickets for about $250 each and I think I would be eligible to get one as her guest, correct? So now I am wondering, if I opt to get the military ticket for 2017, can I hold on to that AP until my 2018 trip and still get the 13-months on it? I'd need it to cover both the 2018 and 2019 trips. The dates are dependent on when the kids' fall break lands but either way, a 12-month pass wouldn't work. I've heard mixed details about a deadline by which time the 13-month AP must be activated, but I could never find anything from an official Disney source.

Anyone?:confused3

I have three 13 month ap certificates in my mde account. All 3 say they must be activated by 4/2018.

If you look in the details of your AP purchase it will tell you the date the AP must be activated by.

I was told the pass had to be activated within 18 months of purchase to keep the free 13th month. If activated beyond that it would be a normal 12 month pass.

I have three 13 month ap certificates in my mde account. All 3 say they must be activated by 4/2018.
If you activated it in 5/18, would you have to pay extra money to activate it into a 12 month pass?

If you activated it in 5/18, would you have to pay extra money to activate it into a 12 month pass?

No.
AP certificates remain valid until the end of the year 2030.

No.
AP certificates remain valid until the end of the year 2030.
^^^THIS is what it says on the back of the green "card" that was sent to me. I did not add it to MDE when I bought it and I cannot find anywhere that indicates that it has an "activate by" date in order to receive the 13-months. When I bought it, it was advertised as a 13-month pass and I never found anything official that said that the extra month would "expire" if not activated by a certain date. I figure that @Robo is the one who would know the official answer....or at the very least, who I would need to call to find out. FWIW, it is a DVC Gold Pass.

^^^THIS is what it says on the back of the green "card" that was sent to me. I did not add it to MDE when I bought it and I cannot find anywhere that indicates that it has an "activate by" date in order to receive the 13-months. When I bought it, it was advertised as a 13-month pass and I never found anything official that said that the extra month would "expire" if not activated by a certain date. I figure that @Robo is the one who would know the official answer....or at the very least, who I would need to call to find out. FWIW, it is a DVC Gold Pass.

I don't have any special knowledge of the 13-month AP.
There absolutely could be a deadline for activating to get the 13-month deal.
(In fact, that's what I've seen.)
But, my reply was just that an AP certificate, itself, doesn't expire until the end of 2030.

The "Get 13 Months" (that extra month) deal could certainly expire
if the AP was not activated within a certain much more limited amount of time.

I bought mine in person as AP certificates in November and they did not have a date on them and I was told by the cm I could use them anytime. That same cm made a mistake and put the wrong date in. When I linked them to my account they showed as being expires! I called and it was taken care of over the phone. They now are linked in my MDE and show an expiration of 6/2018. I am going to Disney this week to activate two of them. The other two I bought for my kids but now they aren't going with us. So I assume they will still be good after 2018 just not for the extra month.

I bought mine in person as AP certificates in November and they did not have a date on them and I was told by the cm I could use them anytime. That same cm made a mistake and put the wrong date in. When I linked them to my account they showed as being expires! I called and it was taken care of over the phone. They now are linked in my MDE and show an expiration of 6/2018. I am going to Disney this week to activate two of them. The other two I bought for my kids but now they aren't going with us. So I assume they will still be good after 2018 just not for the extra month.
I have the same issue. I'm not sure if we will have to pay additional $ after that expiration date. Also, how will we make fastpasses since the AP certificate will be expired?

I have the same issue. I'm not sure if we will have to pay additional $ after that expiration date. Also, how will we make fastpasses since the AP certificate will be expired?
I don't believe they will expire at that date. Just the benefit of the extra month. That is my understanding. I think you should still be able to make FP with them if they are linked. I also do no think you would have to pay more unless you want a different level of pass. But I am not an expert. I am going to ask about the other two that are linked to my MDE when I go down next week. I can let you know if I find out anything differently.

Nothing can be more confusing than AP rules.

(Except for any other ticket rules.)
1/8/18 is the expiration date in MDE for my Gold AP certificates. I don't know if I will redeem them before that date, so it should be interesting when I do.

I don't believe they will expire at that date. Just the benefit of the extra month. That is my understanding. I think you should still be able to make FP with them if they are linked. I also do no think you would have to pay more unless you want a different level of pass. But I am not an expert. I am going to ask about the other two that are linked to my MDE when I go down next week. I can let you know if I find out anything differently.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to make FP with expired certificates. I do realize that they will not become worthless on the expiration date.

1/8/18 is the expiration date in MDE for my Gold AP certificates. I don't know if I will redeem them before that date, so it should be interesting when I do.
I find it odd that different people have different dates for them. It is confusing! I would think that they would all have the same expiration date, but I believe I was told that the date was 18 months from purchase.

I guess it boils down to what the pass wa sold as....was it sold as a "13-month AP" or was it sold as a "12-month AP with a bonus month that will expire if not activated by xx/xx"?

If it was sold as a 13-month AP, the expiration is on the back and I would assume that it is "worth" 13 months from whenever I activate it. I'd really like to find some solid confirmation because if I DON'T activate it this year and lose the extra month, I will only get one trip (5 days!) out of it and that would be a huge financial loss.

I guess it boils down to what the pass wa sold as....was it sold as a "13-month AP" or was it sold as a "12-month AP with a bonus month that will expire if not activated by xx/xx"?

If it was sold as a 13-month AP, the expiration is on the back and I would assume that it is "worth" 13 months from whenever I activate it. I'd really like to find some solid confirmation because if I DON'T activate it this year and lose the extra month, I will only get one trip (5 days!) out of it and that would be a huge financial loss.

You could continue to hold onto the certificate and not activate it until such time as you could make multiple trips within a given year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter