12 Year Old in the "Edge" Question

Scott5150

4 Time Magic Crusier and Disney Grand Slam (Disney
Hey everyone,

We are cruising on the Fantasy this December and our kids will be 9 and 12. We have first dining and plan to eat in Palo once or twice. I know that our 9 year old will be able to eat dinner in the Oceaner's Club. But I cannot find any information on what, if anything, Disney does for the Tween crowd that hangs out in the Edge?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Hey everyone,

We are cruising on the Fantasy this December and our kids will be 9 and 12. We have first dining and plan to eat in Palo once or twice. I know that our 9 year old will be able to eat dinner in the Oceaner's Club. But I cannot find any information on what, if anything, Disney does for the Tween crowd that hangs out in the Edge?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

In Edge, they can come and go as they wish. It will be up to the 12 year old (in Edge) go see to their own food needs.

As an aside, a 12 year old can do either the Club or Edge.

:cutie:

The Oceaneer's Lab programming is designed for kids 8-12. The Edge is 11-14. Vibe is 14-17.

The overlaps are intended to allow for differences in maturity and family desires (to be with or not with siblings, for instance). 11s and 12s must choose Lab or Edge--they can't bounce back and forth.

As to dinner for kids in the Edge--they are on their own. They can go to the MDRs without parents, to the fast food outlets, order from room service, etc.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I guess it has changed a little bit since our last cruise in 2010.

I'm not a fan of mixing 3 and 12 year olds. IMO that is ridiculous. I complained about mixing 3 year olds and 10 year olds on our comment card last time, I see that didn't help...LOL. My daughter HATED the Lab because of it. It was way better back in the day when they had the smaller age divisions. Oh well.

I can imagine the conversation now:

Dad "Who do you want to hang out with all week. 11-14 year olds or kids"

Son "Dad, that is a stupid question. I'm 12 and almost an adult."

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott

We were on the Dream last month and were able to sign up our 11 year old daughter for both the Oceaneers Lab and Edge. With the Oceaneers Club and Lab any child 8 years old and up can check themselves in and out (with parents permission of course). We allowed this for our 11 year old but not for our 8 year old son. He would always be checking himself into the Lab but not checking himself out ;)

We were on the Fantasy in July and my 12-year-old son went to get pizza whenever he was hungry at the Edge. He didn't feel like a sit down dinner when he was hanging with his new friends, so they'd all go get pizza and ice cream when they wanted.

Both of your kids can go to the MDR for dinner without you. The servers will take good care of them. My kids love going to the dining room without us (we don't embarass them that way:lmao: )

That was the night that DD learned how to tie cherry stems into a knot. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter