1130 is too early for a flight on debarkation, isn't it.

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
We did fly out at 12:05 this last time and had plenty of time. However, my brain says what if the ship is held by customs or for some reason is late returning to port?
Currently the 11:30 flight out is the cheapest. If we wait until 4:10 we pay another $65 each (round trip). If we go at 2:10, we are paying $115 each over the 11:30 flight.
It hurts enough to go up to the 4:10 flight, plus knowing we will have HOURS to kill in the airport--we did the 2:10 last summer and we were so, so bored, but I'm not paying that much extra.
If anyone wants to tell me why I CAN buy the 11:30 flight, please feel free! Or just tell me I'm right and 11:30 is too early.

Here's the official disney line ... "
  • Earliest departure time from Orlando International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:25 AM
    (12:30 PM for the June 27, 2020 sailing)
" (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/ground-transportation/ )
If you're going this route, definitely buy the Disney xfers so you can do on board check in (if your airline is on the list) and buy trip insurance to cover both the cruise and the air flights (make sure the ship getting in late is covered!).

On our very first Disney cruise, we were held for quite awhile due to Norovirus outbreak, the CDC came onboard and made us fill out forms and it was a mess.
We were driving home so no big deal, but others had issues of course.
This was wayyy back in 2002 and we have taken 17 cruises since and never had an issue, but it just takes once.
What port are you sailing out of?
Galveston for example, has many issues with fog and have had the ship unable to enter the port for hours. It has happened several times on Disney ships there.

It depends on your risk aversion. We have booked the 11:30 flight several times. Normally in Orlando, it's not a big deal. We skip sit-down breakfast, are on one of the first buses out (using DCL transfers/Onboard Airline Booking) and get to the airport in plenty of time. On one cruise (it happened to be the Fantasy), we got up to get off immediately after the "Express Walk-off" because we knew we needed to get off early but didn't think we needed to rush off. Well, the line was already winding through the atrium and down the hall. Took forever to get off the ship (turned out we just had bad luck and picked the line that couldn't figure out how to scan off the ship) and by time we did, the customs line was crazy. We did end up making it but that was more stressful than our other 11:30 flights. So there could be even little things that delay you that are out of your control. We made it with about 15-20 minutes to spare (luckily the security line in Orlando was not crazy). But if that is going to stress you out, it might be worth the extra money to book the later flights.

The only time we've been delayed getting off the ship was during the govt. shutdown. We stood in line on the boat for nearly an HOUR, that was just to step off the boat! Otherwise we've never had any issues with getting off and to the airport in time.

Last edited:
I would ask myself. "...how full or overbooked are the next two flight going home if I miss the 11:30 due to circumstances beyond my control?"

1130 is very doable. Like said above, use the DCL buses and do Onboard Airline Checkin if you can. You can still get your breakfast if you are first seating because the ship won't open for debarkation until you are done. If you can't do airline checkin, do express walk-off and get on the first airport bus. You will have plenty of time.

We did fly out at 12:05 this last time and had plenty of time. However, my brain says what if the ship is held by customs or for some reason is late returning to port?
Currently the 11:30 flight out is the cheapest. If we wait until 4:10 we pay another $65 each (round trip). If we go at 2:10, we are paying $115 each over the 11:30 flight.
It hurts enough to go up to the 4:10 flight, plus knowing we will have HOURS to kill in the airport--we did the 2:10 last summer and we were so, so bored, but I'm not paying that much extra.
If anyone wants to tell me why I CAN buy the 11:30 flight, please feel free! Or just tell me I'm right and 11:30 is too early.

I've done 11:30 before (with Express Check-Out and a cab) and I have been fine... but it's early and a bit stressful to be honest. I wouldn't do it again. I'd pay the 65$ extra.

We’ve always flown out around 11:30/noon and spent hours waiting around in the terminal. I’d hate to spend even more time in that horrible packed airport AND pay more! Flight is much more likely to be delayed than the cruise.

We always are stuck waiting for hours. IT will depend on your tolerance for risk, and what sounds worse to you: a small chance of missing your flight because the ship was late, and having to deal with that, or a pretty good chance of having hours to kill in the airport?

I'd risk 11:30am no problem. But, others won't.

I’d do the 11:30. If everything is normal you’re fine.
We made a 10:40am out of Copenhagen last week including international flight with time to spare. I realize it’s a different port but still worth sharing.

I would go with the 4:10 flight and look at it as an oportunity to grab lunch and spend part of a day at Disney Springs, or City Walk, etc. Anything, but sitting at the airport.

We will be using DCL transport to MCO and doing onboard airline check in, so maybe we will do the 11:30! I'm actually feeling much better about it. We are late seating though, so we would be eating at Cabana's--we didn't get off the ship until 845 or 9 this last time with the sit-down breakfast.

We will be using DCL transport to MCO and doing onboard airline check in, so maybe we will do the 11:30! I'm actually feeling much better about it. We are late seating though, so we would be eating at Cabana's--we didn't get off the ship until 845 or 9 this last time with the sit-down breakfast.
If you have a time crunch, just talk to your head server about doing the early breakfast. Or go to Cabanas.

I just did 11:15 out of MCO after debarking in Port Canaveral and didn't have an issue. We had early breakfast and disembarked directly after, I believe around 8-8:30AM. Got in the car and straight to the airport. I had time to kill. I booked that flight for the same reasons you're looking to (money and time!), but I do understand the risk in booking that early.

I had a noon flight and had several hours to kill before the plane boarded. As long as you do express walk off and get on one of the first buses you should be ok. Even better if you’re TSA pre check.

Here's the official disney line ... "
  • Earliest departure time from Orlando International Airport on Debarkation Day: 11:25 AM
    (12:30 PM for the June 27, 2020 sailing)
" (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/ground-transportation/ )
If you're going this route, definitely buy the Disney xfers so you can do on board check in (if your airline is on the list) and buy trip insurance to cover both the cruise and the air flights (make sure the ship getting in late is covered!).

Any idea why the June 27, 2020 sailing has different guidelines?

Compared to the money spent on the cruise, I would gladly pay $65 or $115 per ticket just to eliminate the stress from booking an1130. That being said, I don’t buy air tickets solely on price - total travel time, number of layovers, on-time performance of particular flights, convenience, etc. The cheapest flight isn’t always the best choice in my opinion.

@at227 No... It is a 9 night eastern but the last night is Castaway and the ashore time on the last day is 7:30 which is the same for every Port Canaveral cruise I could find...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter