11-person trip DEC '10 - Where to stay???

oasispaul

Mouseketeer
Hi fellow DIS'ers. We are planning a trip for 11 in December 2010. 5 adults and 6 children (ages ranging from 3-12). The last time this group went to WDW was back in February 2004 when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villas (which we enjoyed greatly).

After initial discussion, for this upcoming trip we've decided to consider the following resorts:

Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge
Beach Club
Animal Kingdom Lodge

We'll probably spend a good amount of time at each park (in the end, I'm sure we'll log the most hours in the MK), but I was hoping to get feedback (pros/cons) on which resort you think would make the most sense for a group of 11. I've heard the WL is gorgeous around the holiday time. Does the AKL's location preclude it from being a good option for 11? We know the least about the BC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

For the children, Storm-along-bay is the BEST pool at Disney!!! There is a large pirate ship with a long slide that ends at the pool. Plus, there is white sand at the pool bottom and it is just the coolest feeling walking on sand in the pool... and it is about 3 acres of fantastic water fun. Grab a tube and just float around the many twist and turns at SAB. The non-swimming beach there has a campfire and movie every night. So kids can build sand castles while watching a Disney movie.

So even if you don't want to go to any of the parks...staying at the resort and playing at SAB is just like a mini water park. Plus, only guests staying at either YC, BC or BCV are the only ones allowed to use SAB.

BC is also closest resort to EPCOT (boat ride or 10 min. easy walk) and you can either take the boat or walk to DHollywood Studios.

My kids love this resort and request it every time!!!

I would go with WL again for the decorations.

While the BC pool is amazing if you hit a cold spell you wont be using it to much.

With so many people I would choose a villa again. The kitchen and laundry room will be a very valuable thing to have for your group. That would eliminate the Poly. You could stay in a 2 bedroom and a studio at either the WL or BC. A Grand Villa would be great for your group, but I think it would be more costly, and the only resorts that have GVs are BWV, SSR, AKV, OKW.

Enjoy planning your trip!

I love WL and AKL. I haven't stayed in the Villas, just the regular resort. You know about WL, and how fantastic it is! AKL is great too, and has the same type of open high lobby. The kids would love it with all the animals, savannas, great pool, and it has a better cs. The Mara is quite a bit larger than Roaring Forks.
I found the bus transportation quite good. Really it was only a 20 min bus ride from AKL to MK.
We are staying at Poly soon, and looking forward to it. If it's in your groups budget, being on the monorail to MK, and walking distance to TTC for Epcot monorail is very handy.
We haven't stayed at BC, we thought of it when choosing a resort for this Jan, but felt winter time wouldn't be the best with weather unpredictable for Stormalong Bay, so we decided to wait until a summer visit to stay here.
Have fun planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter