11/7 - 11/11 Dining (conclusion)

mickeys#1fan

Mouseketeer
For our last day we started with breakfast at Kona Cafe. We had been looking forward to this a long time. This place gets a big build-up here on the boards, and it really came through. I had oatmeal - smooth and creamy. DW and I also shared Tonga Toast and Eggs Benedict. There wasn't enough Hollandaise on the eggs. Otherwise they were good. Tonga Toast is every bit as good as they say. I would eat this every day if it wouldn't stop my heart after month. I got the recipe. Do you know it's fried in three inches of oil?

Now that I've pooped the party, I'll get to the good stuff. For the uninitiated, Tonga Toast is banana slices stuffed in an extra thick piece of sourdough bread, then prepared like French toast. The outside is delightfully crusty, but not so much that it would break a tooth (for those that live near one, think the opposite of anything at Panera Bread). There is a pleasant custard taste, but not an overwhelming flavor of egg. I wish I could bring that off in my own French toast. When you bite into it, there is a nice squirt of grease - a welcome sensation for someone who's been on a low fat diet for the last two years. The cinnamon sugar coating mixes pleasantly with the soft, warm banana on the inside.

DW and I split the Kona presspot. This is good, but the Kenya AA presspot at Jiko is all the better. No big deal, we just have a preference for fuller bodied coffees.

That night we had our second meal ever at California Grill. We would argue that CG is the best restaurant on Disney property. Our server, Walter, was an expert on the menu and the wine list. He suggested the most expensive wine pairings, but would bring a lower priced alternative to try. He was right on target. Not only that, he was waiting on other table, including one party of 14, and we always felt like we were his most important guests.

I started with Sushi Sampler. It's easily enough for two. CG does sushi well. I'm by no means an expert, but I could tell product was very fresh and well-prepared. DW had the Bonzai Roll, which is yellow fin tuna wrapped around avocado and tempura fried. All I can say is, "Wow!" We've never had anything like it. DD had the Green Goddess salad, which was very tasty.

For entrees, DW had the filet. It was perfect temperature and nicely caramelized. Much better than the filet at Le Cellier. I had the Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna Steak in a Wasabi Broth. It wasn't nearly as spicy as I expected. The broth nicely balanced the perfectly rare seared tuna steak. I'd love to know where they get the fish so thick. It was silky rare and wonderful. The tuna here at home is usually so thin, you'd have to sear it with an arc welder to get it so rare and tender. No way I could do this on my own grill.

DW raved about the chocolate cake with white chocolate ice cream she had. I didn't even get a chance to taste it. I had the Three Sorbet Sampler. It had scoops of mango, kiwi, and pineapple sorbet. I didn't even miss the creme brulee sampler, which I love. This dessert is packed with flavor, and yet a perfectly light way to end a big meal.

I capped the night with a rich, spicy Flor de Allones cigar and watched the boats go by on Bay Lake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter