10th Anniversary & looking for restaurant advice

DarthGooshy

Earning My Ears
Hi, my wife & I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and will be doing it at Disney World during Star Wars Weekends.

I'm new to the boards, and looking for advice on a good, romantic or fun restaurant to reserve for the occasion (adult fun; kids will not be with us this time). Preferably something that' doesn't require too fancy a dress code; we're simple military folk and neither of us want to lug the extra clothing around with us.

Victoria & Albert's is the ULTIMATE romantic dining experience. No kids under 10 are allowed. Narcoossee's is another suggestion if V&A is out of your price range. If you do Narcoosee's; book ADR for an hour before Wishes so you can watch Wishes from the restaurant if you have a window table or from right outside the restaurant on the marina. Both restaurants are located at the Grand Floridian. Other real good romantic "signature" dining places but dont give you the overall experience of V&A and Wishes viewing of Narcoossee's would be - Bluezoo, Shulas, Citrico's, Jiko, Flying Fish, and Yachtmans Steahouse. I have a link below for menus of all of them. I would book soon for any of these especially V&A. Remember when you book to let them know it is your anniversary and wear the anniversary button.

http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/wdw/menus.shtml

the previous postrer mentioned the holy grail of disney dining (Vic and Al), but, realistically- you'd be packing a special outfit for that.

You can get by in the other "signature" locals in a "resort casual" IE while slacks would be better- dress shorts and a colored shirt- no flip flops etc...but thats "getting by- you'd probably feel more comfortable in a polo type shirt and a pair of khakis- in those places people will be throwing down 60-100 pp for dinner so you want to fell somewhat nice ("dress" shorts seem to be acceptable in warmer months as well)

places the next step down (still VERY nice) that Disney doesn't deem "Signature' they have several different names for- those you can wear "resort attire" to (casual shoerts- tee shirts- just not bathing suits)

Tell us more about what you'd what to do, how you'd like to dress, what your budget is and we can help a lot more!

DH and I are also "simple military folk" ;) and we had our 10th anniversary dinner at Artist Point, and it was great! We did get a little dressed up, but you don't have to wear a jacket or anything. Just a nice shirt and pants would do. :goodvibes

There are lots of dining options at WDW -- and, quite frankly, shorts and sandals are fine at all of them except Victoria & Albert's. I know the "signature restaurants" have a so-called "dress code", but no one follows it. Things have become so relaxed that men now wear cargo shorts and sandals to fancy Food & Wine Festival dinners at places like California Grill -- whereas a few years ago women wore fancy cocktail dresses and men wore suits. Basically, we have seen the end of dressing up for dinner, IMO.

Putting all that aside, ask yourself do you want a more expensive and fancier dining experience or do you want something fun and diverting.

If you want fewer kids, some romance and tasty food, skip the Disney signature restaurants and go to Shula's (steak), Blue Zoo (seafood), Il Mulino (Italian) (there will be more kids at Il Mulino than the other two). Make a reservation for 8:30 pm or later.

If you want a nice restaurant but want it to be Disney, go to a signature restaurant but be prepared for lots of noise and mayhem with noisy kids everywhere and little chance for romance. Also, desserts are awful at all of the signature restaurants now (thanks to the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) where everybody is entitled to a dessert with dinner, so desserts are poor at best). You'll do better sticking with appetizers and entrees. Appetizers are not included in most DDP dinners so they tend to be more creative and nicer than the desserts. The signature restaurants are California Grill (noisy with tons of kids due to good view of the fireworks, pretty good food but not as good as it used to be, IMO), Flying Fish (good food and generally not as noisy as CG), Narcoosee's (fairly tasty food, fireworks, lots of noise), Citricos (very good food, lots of noise), Jiko (pretty good food but not as good as it used to be (IMO), less noise - usually but not always), Yachtsman Steakhouse (pretty good food, very few menu choices, lots of kids), Artist Point (pretty good food in a very pretty setting (I've heard rumors the food has improved of late), plenty of kids but fewer than at CG), Le Cellier (some love it but we wouldn't bother given its the same price as some nicer choices and it's very noisy). Others can fill in if there are any signature restaurants I forgot.

If you want a unique Disney experience and don't care so much about food quality, try any of these depending on the type of experience you want: Coral Reef (dine while watching large fish in a huge aquarium), Be Our Guest (dine with various special effects from Beauty and the Beast), Marrakesh (dine on middle eastern food and see a belly dancer), Cinderella's Royal Table (dine on poor food in the Castle while meeting the princesses), Prime Time Cafe (dine on mom's home cooking with nostalgia and old TV shows), Sci-Fi Dine Inn (dine in a "car" parked at a drive-in while watching sci-fi trailers), Hoop De Doo Review (dine on pretty poor food in a western atmosphere while watching a cute musical revue), Luau (dine on okay food outdoors while watching a Hawaiian revue), Sanaa (dine on tasty Indian food while watching animals on the savannah), San Angel Inn (dine on interesting Mexican food while watching boats go by or in the sister restaurant while watching Illuminations fireworks show), Rose & Crown Pub (dine on English cooking -- if dining at dinner, try for patio seating for Illuminations).

As you can see, there are lots of dining choices, so you just need to decide what you desire when you indicate good, romantic or fun.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

That is good to hear about the lack of dress code enforcement. We are used to relaxed dress codes; at our last duty station (Hawaii), people typically ate at fancy restaurants with khaki shorts and nice sandals at best, unless it was a special event. Dress shorts & a collared shirt is my preference for "nice", especially in the Orlando summer heat; she hates dresses, too, so "casual" is best.

So far as price goes, that is not as important as setting/scenery and quality of food. It's Disney, so I expect to pay more for a modest meal there than a fantastic meal at home, but I know some places are better than others in the same price range, and if I'm paying that much for it, I want it to be special. So, probably not V&A, and from what I'm hearing, probably not Le Cellier.

Sanaa sounds nice; I think she would enjoy the food, and I know she'd enjoy the view. Is there usually a lot of animal activity there? I think I read somewhere that the best time to see animals in action is around lunch.

One of the Epcot restaurants with a good view for Illuminations sounds good, too. I've thought about getting one of her favorite bottles of wine (if they still sell it there) and a couple glasses and just finding a nice place to sit down and relax for a bit. Maybe before dinner.

I heard that if you tell them about the special occasion when you make the reservation, they make it more special. A cake? Is it worth the extra cost, or would it be better to get dessert somewhere else?

San Angel Inn is a very pretty setting for dinner, then you could walk around to Tutto Gusto in Italy for a cocktail, then loop around to France for dessert.

I went to wdw for my honeymoon, but I would say that we definitely went for the opportunity to act like big dorky kids instead of the romantic qualities, so my favs might not be appropriate for that. The only "signature" we chose was Le Cellier, and I loved the food. I would say that the most enjoyable for atmosphere were Scifi and 50s Prime Time. I laughed til I cried when I got my hubby put in the corner for blowing straw wrappers. I also got so choked up I couldn't talk when I met Snow White at Akershus. Like I said, we're dorks. Other more grown up spots where we enjoyed the food were GFC and Tutto Italia.

DH and I went to Citricos for our 10th anniversary and we loved it! Since we added the celebration to our reservation, they gave us special personalized menus to keep!! Too bad we forgot them at the restaurant! :( When they brought out my dessert, they had written Happy 10th Anniversary in chocolate across the plate. Basically, there were lots of little touches that helped make dinner more special.

chloelovesdisney said:
San Angel Inn is a very pretty setting for dinner, then you could walk around to Tutto Gusto in Italy for a cocktail, then loop around to France for dessert.

That sounds like a really great end to a day @ Epcot. We had planned on starting in Canada anyway, probably around noon or so if we get to the park early and knock out the future-world stuff.

julie4423 said:
I went to wdw for my honeymoon, but I would say that we definitely went for the opportunity to act like big dorky kids instead of the romantic qualities, so my favs might not be appropriate for that. The only "signature" we chose was Le Cellier, and I loved the food. I would say that the most enjoyable for atmosphere were Scifi and 50s Prime Time. I laughed til I cried when I got my hubby put in the corner for blowing straw wrappers. I also got so choked up I couldn't talk when I met Snow White at Akershus. Like I said, we're dorks. Other more grown up spots where we enjoyed the food were GFC and Tutto Italia.

Hey, being child-like is what going to Disney is all about! In addition to whatever romanticky thing we do, we've already made Scifi reservations, and will also be making reservations for the magic kingdom dessert dinner event when that's available. And we'll probably end up waiting in line for pictures with Ray Park (Darth Maul) & the disney princesses just because. :D

emlutz23 said:
DH and I went to Citricos for our 10th anniversary and we loved it! Since we added the celebration to our reservation, they gave us special personalized menus to keep!! Too bad we forgot them at the restaurant! :( When they brought out my dessert, they had written Happy 10th Anniversary in chocolate across the plate. Basically, there were lots of little touches that helped make dinner more special.

Ok that totally makes it worthwhile :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter