100% polyester in dryer?

JanaDee

DIS Veteran
Both DH's and DS's graduation gowns are 100% polyester and instead of ironing both of them, I'd prefer to run them through the steam cycle on our dryer, but I'm afraid I'm going to ruin them. :scared:

I know DH's hood can't go in the dryer, as it has velvet on it.

Will the gowns be ok in the dryer?

I don't know, but I was told to run a hot shower and fill the bathroom with steam and leave the gown in there when I was graduated.

Depends. If they're that kind of stiff material, then sure. Athletic uniforms go through dryers all the time. The biggest issue is scorching when the dryer stops. Nylon, polyester, and other synthetics will melt. You'll need to take it out quickly or use a dryer with a cool down/wrinkle-free cycle at the end.

I've heard of maybe just using an iron with steam blasts. Or maybe a steam wand.

I generally air dry my polyester clothes. They last a lot longer and don't get as stiff if I avoid the dryer.

It would probaably be OK but, I'd only dry them for 5 minutes at a time and keep checking on them

No no dryer according to Jostens website ( you know one of the companies for caps, gowns, graduation rings, etc )

http://www.jostens.com/apps/jcom/siteSearch.mvc

Gown Care
. To remove wrinkles, you may choose to press with a cool iron, use a steamer or hang gown in a steamy room. © 2013 Jostens, Inc,Gown Care

Congratulations to your son and your husband JanaDee !
th

No no dryer according to Jostens website ( you know one of the companies for caps, gowns, graduation rings, etc )

http://www.jostens.com/apps/jcom/siteSearch.mvc

Gown Care
. To remove wrinkles, you may choose to press with a cool iron, use a steamer or hang gown in a steamy room. © 2013 Jostens, Inc,Gown Care

Congratulations to your son and your husband JanaDee !
th
A cool iron has been useless and so has been hanging in a steamy room. We don't have a steamer, so that option is out. Next stop, a hotter iron and if that doesn't work, steam cycle in the dryer.

Can you get a hand-held steamer? I love mine and it was not expensive at all.

The winner was a hotter iron on DS's gown. I had to go even hotter on DH's gown and hood, as the current temp wasn't doing anything. Both done and ready to go. :thumbsup2

Thanks Ruthie for the congrats! I am very proud of both of them. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter