10 year old in the Edge?

dbxazd

Mouseketeer
My DD is 10 and would love to be in the Edge with her 12 y/o brother and some pen pals she has "met" -- has anyone had any experience with their child being able to go into the Edge before age 11? Is this something I should email Disney about ahead of time or wait until check in at the terminal and ask when I check them into the kids area?
Thanks so much for any insight!!!
Robin

My DD is 10 and would love to be in the Edge with her 12 y/o brother and some pen pals she has "met" -- has anyone had any experience with their child being able to go into the Edge before age 11? Is this something I should email Disney about ahead of time or wait until check in at the terminal and ask when I check them into the kids area?
Robin

That's something you're going to have to discuss with the Edge CMs. Personally, even if my appropriately aged child is in there, I wouldn't put my underaged child in the same club for just that reason.

While your younger one may be comfortable with her older brother, once he's in the club, he may feel differently. I've read reports that the older kids in Edge will pretty much give the cold shoulder to "little kids". They want to be "grown up" and don't want (what they feel to be) babies around.

YMMV
:cutie:

Robin

Yes. We have done it three times with our DS10. We had to sign a waiver that they give you in the Edge. We normally head up there during embarkation day's open house to sign it. It is pretty easy to make happen.

FYI. If you are on the Dream or Fantasy and want to then give your DD KTTW access for the elevator to go all the way to Deck 13 you will need to stop by Guest Services to get them to update her card. Since she is only 10, it won't be coded for the access unless you do that. You don't have to though, she can go to Deck 12 and just walk up also.

If your goal is to keep the kids together, you can deny check out priv. to your 12 year old. This would place him in the lab group with the 10 year old.

While this sounds harsh, the Lab program was designed for kids 8-12. The various evolutions have occurred due to parent demand and multiple requests for age variances in the groups.

My DS12 really loved the Edge when were on the Dream last summer but DD was only 8 at the time (it was before her August birthday but it wouldn't have made a difference last year anyway) so last time it didn't matter they were in different clubs and that's not even the main driving force this December -- it's more I really think she's matured to a point where she might be bored with the Lab/Club. She's techy. :) and she's made some pen pals who are 11 & therefore Edge kids :)
Thanks for all the opinions & experiences!!

There are 2 other factors that may affect if she's allowed in the Edge. One is how close she is to 11, if she's just 10, or 10 1/4, they won't allow her to age up, if she's within a couple of months of being 11, they'll evaluate if she fits into the group, but if there's only a few 11 year olds, and a whole bunch of 13 year olds, they probably won't let her age up. Also, if the edge enrollment is full, they won't allow those kids on the cusp to be moved up and she'll end up in the lab.

You can always broach it to her as an opportunity to have some time to do just her personal stuff in the lab while DS does his thing in the Edge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter