$10.00 Cancellation fee Fact or Fiction?

pinkerbell

FREE DDP 06, 07, 08, 09 & 10!!
We are a group of 10 going to WDW in APril. One of our party said they heard or saw online (i can't remember which) that Disney is going to start implementing a $10 fee for unsued ressies? Is there any truth to this?

:goodvibes

We are a group of 10 going to WDW in APril. One of our party said they heard or saw online (i can't remember which) that Disney is going to start implementing a $10 fee for unsued ressies? Is there any truth to this?

Truth...

As of October 26, 2011, Disney World is instituting a new policy requiring a credit card to hold/confirm certain dining reservations. Making a reservation at select signature and character dining locations throughout Walt Disney World’s hotels and theme parks will require submitting credit card information up front. Nothing is charged to the credit card at the time of booking but you will be charged $10 per person if you are a “no show” or if reservations are not cancelled more than 24 hours before the reserved time.

Yup. All true. There are about a billion posts about this already, one on the community forum, and another on dining reservations.

For some reason I had already thought this policy was well in effect for a while now.
In Oct. '09 we had to cut our trip short because one of our good friends passed away. We decided to leave just a day early. We had and Akershus ADR for our last day which was the day after we decided to leave. I called as soon as I knew we werent going to be able to make it. I think it was around noon the day before the reservation which was at 8 a.m. The CM said it was going to be a $70 charge for cancelling within the 24 hour window. I had to go to a supervisor, but finally they were able to just let me cancell without the fee.
I definitely think that a 3-8 hour window is a much more reasonable length of time for cancellations. The overly scheduled vacation thing is getting a bit ridiculous.

For some reason I had already thought this policy was well in effect for a while now.
In Oct. '09 we had to cut our trip short because one of our good friends passed away. We decided to leave just a day early. We had and Akershus ADR for our last day which was the day after we decided to leave. I called as soon as I knew we werent going to be able to make it. I think it was around noon the day before the reservation which was at 8 a.m. The CM said it was going to be a $70 charge for cancelling within the 24 hour window. I had to go to a supervisor, but finally they were able to just let me cancell without the fee.
I definitely think that a 3-8 hour window is a much more reasonable length of time for cancellations. The overly scheduled vacation thing is getting a bit ridiculous.

A few of the restaurants have always required a credit card for reservations.

Its unfortunate but rude, selfish people have made this a necessity - they make numerous reservations and then do not have the courtesy to cancel so others waiting for reservations can get one. I used to be able to just gaurentee a reservation for CRT or EPCOT top restaurants but now you have to pay in full, in advance. I don't blame Disney here. They are a business after all and need to fill and turn tables. Their operations are costly. Of course they are making money, but again that is what they are there for. Likewise, consider how many unhappy guests are there because they cannot get the reservations they desire - or even book a table because all of the dates are occupied.

I will agree with many posters here that it is virtually impossible to plan your entire dining 6 months in advance. Once there you might have a craving for soemthing entirely differnet than what you are scheduled. That is why we have focused mostly on charecter breakfasts - its all the same) and one or two Themed dinners. Of course we also make a reservation for Rainforest, T-Rex, and House of BLues because it is just somehting we do each trip. We have also decided to stay offsite. Parc Soleil has a beautiful facility that is more spacious and about a third of Disney prices with immpeccable service and accomodations. It also makes dining options more plentiful, affordable, wider variety, and no need for planning that far in advance. Just some food for thought. Prices keep going up. Even with the DDP, it is too dang expensive for most families. I guess it is a matter of perspective. I would rather be more comfortable and save 50% than be totally immersed, cramped quarters and pay extra for it all. Sure we do not get EMH, but the ope attractions are limited and a properly timed charecter breakfast gets us in early so we can get started while the crowds are thinner. In fact, my DD6 and DD4 have gotten to open fantsyland - tea cups with ALice for the last two years in a row.

I agree with you that it is getting ridiculous but it is because of the behavior of people abusing the ADR system and not being considerate of others. It is totally unacceptable, however, for them to not honor your cancelation. It would be different if you called at 11pm or something, but at noon was plenty of time. Disney needs to also understand that sometimes plans change last minute as well. You were well intetioned and should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

Its unfortunate but rude, selfish people have made this a necessity - they make numerous reservations and then do not have the courtesy to cancel so others waiting for reservations can get one. I used to be able to just gaurentee a reservation for CRT or EPCOT top restaurants but now you have to pay in full, in advance. I don't blame Disney here. They are a business after all and need to fill and turn tables. Their operations are costly. Of course they are making money, but again that is what they are there for. Likewise, consider how many unhappy guests are there because they cannot get the reservations they desire - or even book a table because all of the dates are occupied.

I will agree with many posters here that it is virtually impossible to plan your entire dining 6 months in advance. Once there you might have a craving for soemthing entirely differnet than what you are scheduled. That is why we have focused mostly on charecter breakfasts - its all the same) and one or two Themed dinners. Of course we also make a reservation for Rainforest, T-Rex, and House of BLues because it is just somehting we do each trip. We have also decided to stay offsite. Parc Soleil has a beautiful facility that is more spacious and about a third of Disney prices with immpeccable service and accomodations. It also makes dining options more plentiful, affordable, wider variety, and no need for planning that far in advance. Just some food for thought. Prices keep going up. Even with the DDP, it is too dang expensive for most families. I guess it is a matter of perspective. I would rather be more comfortable and save 50% than be totally immersed, cramped quarters and pay extra for it all. Sure we do not get EMH, but the ope attractions are limited and a properly timed charecter breakfast gets us in early so we can get started while the crowds are thinner. In fact, my DD6 and DD4 have gotten to open fantsyland - tea cups with ALice for the last two years in a row.

I have to say I agree that DDP has gotten very pricey and drastically reduced it's options. We too have been looking at staying offsite like we did yrs ago. As for EMH, we avoid those parks on those days!! They get the buggest crowds becasue all the 1 park 1 day passholders think they will get more in, when I have found lines are longer because there are more people in the park ALL day. I love going to MK on a MMNSSHP night, the park is empty and everything is a walk on! the park closes early, but buy 5 we were done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter