1 vs 2 bedroom

Nlihte

Can't Get enough of Disney!!!
I noticed that when I calculate our points I could stay at a 1 bedroom for 6 nights and keep under our yearly allotment (250).
If we take a 2 bedroom I would have to borrow anywhere from 4 points at OKW to 36 points at WLV from next year.
Now my question. My boys are 12 and 14. Wife and myself.
Does it really make a big difference to go with a 2 bedroom vs a 1 bedroom, and is it smarter to be disciplined to just keep within our 250 point budget and stay with a 1 bedroom. I know this is a subjective question but I value your experience. Thanks gang.
Oh by the way,we closed today on our home resort BCV but since our trip is coming up shortly I doubt I have a prayer to get into our home resort this year. (even though I am a Minister) Dennis

Try the one bedroom and see how it works for your family. A studio would also work, but would also be a lot more crowded with your nearly grown up kids.

We only have three in our family, so our son sleeps on the sleeper sofa in the living room. No big deal to us.

But go ahead and call MS to see if you can get a reservation when you want it. At least get on the wait list. You never know.

We only have three in our family, we get the GV. Its more comfortable and we can bring guests. As far as I am concerned, I don't want anyone sleeping in the living room. It just feels crowded and is not why I bought DVC.

Since you indicate you can get a 2-bedroom for just four more points at OKW....I would just borrow the 4-points.

I have three kids 13, 9 & 7. So we always need the extra room.

If you do a one-bedroom at BCV, you and your spouse will have a nice king-size bed. Your teens will share a fold out in the living room. Will they sleep well together?

At OKW, in a 2-bedroom, they will be in the same room, but each will have a queen sized bed. The one thing Beach Club will have is Storm-A-Long Bay which is a major plus with teens.

Talk to your kids, if they are comfortable with the sleeper sofa, do that. If not try OKW.

Book OKW now and wait list at BCV. And don't give up on the prayer! :p

For your first trip, get the 2-B/R, even if you have to borrow points.

Then, after you've checked in and have been there a few days, close the door to the 2nd bedroom, then look at the unit and ask yourself what it would have been like had the 2nd bedroom not been there, along with it's second bathroom. What would it have been like with just the 1-B/R and L/R areas.

Then you'll know what is comfortable for you.

I suggest you start with the 2-B/R because it's a lot easier saying you could have gotten by with less, than to get the 1-B/R and after 1-day saying you should have gotten the 2-B/R.

Another thing to consider. Are your boys late sleepers or nightowls? The 2 BR is a lot more user friendly. It is a lot nicer to be able to get up in the morning and be able to go to the kitchen and make coffee and sit on the balcony and enjoy your vacation.

Good luck in your decision.

There are just 3 of us and we get a 2 BR. Besides having more privacy, there are 2 bathrooms. (We have 4 bathrooms at home, so we have a hard time sharing just 1 bathroom on vacation.:) )

Theoretically, if the 1 BR unit had 2 bathrooms, we might be able to get by with DS sleeping on the fold out... So, if the bathroom issue is not a big deal to you all, then a 1 BR might work out okay.

-DC :ears:

I think I'd probably bite the bullet and go for the 2BR, for several reasons:
1. 2 bathrooms
2. Each boy gets his own bed teenagers these days are more "adult" sized than when I was a kid
3. Privacy-if your teenagers like to sleep late, it doesn't preclude you and DH from using the livingroom area, going out onto the balcony etc while the boys are still asleep

Have you considered a small add-on(30-50 points) to preclude you from having to borrow? I understand what you're saying as far as borrowing...you'll always be in a hole. I think I'd calculate what a 2BR would cost in points at every resort for the time of year you like to go, and purchase an add-on that would cover the maximum number of points you'd need. If your home resort is BCV, my guess is that that would be the highest point count.

I would try the 1 br first and see how you like it. I would think one trip would give you the answer that's best for your family.

I have traveled with teenage boys every trip. DS was 16 when we bought in, but always brought a buddy. We started with 1 bedrooms and it was fine. Much nicer than a regular hotel room.

That being said, once we splurged for a 2 bedroom we never went back! The first issue is privacy as previously said. The boys do tend to sleep later, and, as they got older (DS is now 21), stay out later without us. Even if they want to watch the television late at night while we are sleeping it's nice that it's in a separate room.

That 2nd bathroom is always an issue with that many people. The other thing is just the amount of "stuff" 2 boys can bring. Mine are reasonably tidy, but you have 2 extra suitcases plus backpacks that were always in the livingroom being accessed, plus the pullout to walk around until you get it folded up. Just having the "stuff" in another room makes the front area more pleasant. Plus with the other room they have their own closets and chests to put clothes away and their own bath for all their grooming items.

Everyone touts the "flexibility" of DVC, so why not be flexible in your accomodations as well. We've tried 4 people in studios, 1-BRs and 2-BRs. The 2-BRs are great, but the smaller units are manageable too if you find yourself trying to squeeze in that extra trip without borrowing. Since you have 38 or so years left on your BCV membership, why not try them all over time and see what works for your family.

I have done it both ways and the two bedroom is alot better. My son is an absolute slob and when he brings a friend his studio always looks like the my worst nightmare or like a college dorm room. If he was in the living room, I'm constantly picking up after him and getting cranky. With the two bedroom,I close the door and pretend its another world unti lwe leave and then I make them straighten everything to a somewhat presentable mode. We fight less and enjoy our time together more. So if you have neat kids who keep the same schedule as you do then the one bedroom is plenty of room but if you value a clean room and a week free from screaming go bigger.

Dennis
I would go for the 1 BR and book your vacation when Richyams is there.......then your boys could stay at Richyams GV.::yes::

I like the suggestion about borrowing the 4 points to get the 2 bedroom for an experiment. We never felt too crowded in a 1 bedroom at OKW when just our DS went with us, but he was very open to our schedule. Now we always get a 2 bedroom or larger for just the 2 of us. If we can't find anyone to go along, we drop down to 1 bedroom if it is available. You can always add on a few points if you find you always will be needing that extra 4 points.

is it smarter to be disciplined to just keep within our 250 point budget and stay with a 1 bedroom. I know this is a subjective question but I value your experience

I would try and stay within your annual point budget unless you plan to skip a year at some point and not use your DVC points at all. When we bank and borrow we do a quick three or four year forecast out for our vacation and specifically DVC plans and then decide what kind of accomodations we would use based on our forecast.

So if for example you do not plan to go for a year three years from now it is ok to borrow points since in three or four years you will catch up

Remember although unlikely, banking and borrowing can be suspended

thanks
jaysue

I think it depends a lot on what your plans are for next year.
If you know how many points you need next year, and you can spare the points you want to borrow, then borrow them.

Personally, I would stay in the 1 Bedroom, or even consider a wilderness cabin, if I had 4 or fewer people, unless I had points to spare.

If each kid having their own bed, was more important then having the washer and dryer in the room, then the wilderness cabins are a good option.
Due to the DVC pool hoping privilege, I believe you would still be able to use the pool at Wilderness Lodge (or other pools).

The Fort Wilderness Cabins price a few points higher then a 1 bedroom, and lower then a 2 bedroom.
They have bunk beds and a double in the back bedroom, along with a pull down bed in the front room.
They have ample kitchen space, and a nice outside area with a barbeque grill.
I stayed in a wilderness home (one of the older ones before they built the new ones) and I thought it was very nice.

I wouldn't stay there with the full 6 people it allows, but with 4 it would be very comfortable.

- Eileen

Thanks Gang, Our timeshare agent tells us we should be in the Disney system by this coming Thursday or Friday. We then will make reservations. It looks as if we have only 6 weeks before arrival so I will take what is availiable as long it is atleast a 1 bedroom. My guess is, if one is avaliable we will go for a 2 bedroom even if that means borrowing a few points. Maybe down the line we can add on another 30 or so points if we feel 250 is a bit too little for our needs.. As you can imagine getting 250 at BCV was a blessing by itself. You are all terrific. Dennis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter