1 night throwaway room question

HuskieJohn

3/2015-BLT & planning arrival at AKL 6/17/2022
I have one day throwaway room booked for the Express Passes and Early Entry. We will be checking in by 7am then go to EE for USO. I see that check-in isnt until 4pm so I am wondering first how does Universal let me know when our rooms are ready...and is there any chance that we can get in our room by 1pm so its actually useful for and afternoon break?

The reservation is at Royal Pacific for now but considering upgrading to Hard Rock since its much closer to the USO gate and that seems like it would save time to and from the park and room.

I have one day throwaway room booked for the Express Passes and Early Entry. We will be checking in by 7am then go to EE for USO. I see that check-in isnt until 4pm so I am wondering first how does Universal let me know when our rooms are ready...and is there any chance that we can get in our room by 1pm so its actually useful for and afternoon break?

The reservation is at Royal Pacific for now but considering upgrading to Hard Rock since its much closer to the USO gate and that seems like it would save time to and from the park and room.

We typically get a text letting us know our room is ready and yes we have gotten rooms before lunch even, so it’s possible, you do know you get express for 2 full days right? We love both HR and RPR! The walk from HR is shorter to US gate vs RPR but the walk from RPR is pleasant also, although when staying at RPR we tend to use a boat more often vs staying at HR we hardly ever use a boat.

Yes we know we have the EP for 2 days but I figured since checkout was at 11am that second EP day there was no real time to go back to the room for an afternoon rest from the heat.

Thank you!

I see that check-in isnt until 4pm so I am wondering first how does Universal let me know when our rooms are ready
They say you are supposed to receive a text when its ready, but I have only received a text twice in all of my stays at RPR and HRH. And both times, I had to return to the desk to have them program my key and tell me my room number, as well as activate room charging privileges. Its my understanding that the room-text-when-ready process works intermittently at Universal, unlike Disney where it works pretty consistently.

.and is there any chance that we can get in our room by 1pm so its actually useful for and afternoon break?
It entirely depends on occupancy the night before and how quickly they turn rooms over, so its impossible to say. If the room you are assigned to becomes available early or is available when you arrive, they will certainly give you access early. We have gotten into our room during the morning hours on check-in day, but we've also had to wait until 4-4:30pm on other trips. Too many variables impact the likelihood. Your best shot would be to not make any room requests and request at check-in to have a room that's ready early, if possible. They will do their best.

What's the price difference? The walk from RPR isn't *that* much further, so I'm not sure I'd pay the extra just for HRH, especially when its a throwaway room. Generally, the purpose of a throwaway room is to book the cheapest room possible to obtain express pass for a cost savings. If you were staying for a few days, I may advise differently, but I would personally keep RPR and spend the money elsewhere.

As mentioned, given you are using this more as a "throwaway" room, go with the cheapest alternative.

If you want to get your room assignment as early as possible, when you are checking in, let them know that is a priority and that you don't care what room you get nor where that room is located. It won't guarantee you a room earlier, but it might help. Also, you can ask for a late check-out time. A late check-out isn't guaranteed, but if you have a base level room, you might be able to get a couple of extra hours added to the check-out time (if that helps you at all.)

Also worth noting is that on your check-out day you can use the gym changing rooms for showering and getting changed if you've been in the parks all day.

On my stay a couple weeks ago, my room was ready at 10:30am when I arrived. But I've also encountered 4pm+ check in times as well. So no way to "know" if your room would be ready by 1pm. I agree with PP that telling TM you'll accept first available may help...
Switching to HRH will literally save you a couple of minutes, and not worth it for a throwaway room.... but it's your money to spend as you please.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter