1/29 - 2/02 Wonder

ametaldiva

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to take a few minutes and report back about my first cruise. Unfortunately, it's not good news (not due to DCL) - that's one reason why it's taken me so long to post about it (we got back from our trip last Monday night - 2/6). First, I want to say that I enjoyed meeting Julie (NewyorkOT) and Donna (butterflymommy). I didn't see anyone after the first day and a half of the cruise because I was in our stateroom or the medical center on deck one the entire time because I got a kidney stone! And believe it or not I'm pretty sure it was due to riding EE that morning (1/29 - the last day of the AP preview). The same thing happened to me a few years ago at a Six Flags park after riding a coaster with some major Gs.

As I said - I have had kidney stones before - twice several years ago, but I had not thought about having one in a long time (because it's been so long ago). Mind you - I never forgot about them - you never forget pain like that! Anyway, at first I thought it was just seasickness because I only felt sick to my stomach - no pain. Well, by the afternoon of the second day the pain had begun (rather abruptly I might add) and I knew what it was right away. I was in the medical center morning and night - getting Demoral, Teradol, Phenergen (sp?), etc. Of course, nothing really helped the pain much. I bet I vomited 50 times during those 4 days. I didn't pass the stone until late on the last night of the cruise (after the ship's doctor did a procedure on me that I've never heard of - but that's a whole other thread), so needless to say I didn't get to do ANYTHING. The only show I saw was Hercules on the first evening (which I thought was great by the way). I didn't get to eat dinner even one night I was so sick. The CMs at the medical center were very good to me overall - DH took a picture of me with them on the last night. They even gave me a button that says something about "bravery" - hey, I know it's for kids, but it did make me feel a little better.

Let me tell you it's really depressing spending all of that money and doing all of that planning for your first cruise and then not getting to enjoy any of it. The Captain even gave us two stops at CC and I couldn't get off either day. To top it all off - we left our lanyards and pins in the room on accident and they have not been found. DH's lanyard had ALL of his Stitch pins on it - I'm talking 10 - 15 pins, some that you cannot buy anymore. Mine was the EE Sneak Peak one with the free AP pin and one EE pin that we purchased in the EE gift shop. I have called DCL about them three times and they say they haven't found them. It's so frustrating because we know exactly where we left them - on the wall hook right outside of the bathroom (the side with the shower). We were in such a hurry that morning to get everything together and get to breakfast that I guess we just overlooked them.

Anyway, I am trying to keep positive about the whole thing. There's always next time right? Now I'm having to deal with my insurance company to try and get reimbursed for all or some of the medical costs I incurred on the ship (totalling $398!). I also purchased the trip insurance through my TA - Sam's Club - the trip insurance said they will pay whatever my health insurance doesn't, so hopefully I will get my money back one way or another.

Well, this has gotten long and it's certainly not the happiest TR ever - so I'm gonna go now! :) Thanks for listening!

OH MY LORD, as I read your post I can only cry....I actually got on the WONDER on Thurs 02/02/06 as you had just left...I feel terrible for you. I (like you) planned the whole trip as well and it was our first cruise ever. And then the losses of the lanyards...OMG...UNBELIEVEABLE. I feel so bad for you and your entire family. That PAIN you suffered must have been awful. I certainly hope you are now feeling much better despite all the disappoints on your trip. Take care! :wave2:

Thanks for the concern momrek06. I am feeling much better now and I am going to see my urologist tomorrow. I can tell you this - the next time I go on a cruise (if I'm lucky enough to ever get to go on another one) you can bet I won't be riding any crazy coasters beforehand! And I'll be sure to have a recent x-ray to check for stones before trip departure! I know it probably sounds crazy but you can bet I'll take whatever precaution(s) I can think of. Anyway, I hope you were able to enjoy your first cruise much more than I did! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter