Zucchini/marrow recipes?

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by MazdaUK, Aug 1, 2009.

1. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

My neighbour gave me two huge marrows (they were courgettes, but he didn't go to the allotment for 2 days as it wa raining and they greeeeew!) I've got a recipe for roasting which is OK, but only DH really likes them. Any good preserve/freezable recipes?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. greeneeyes

greeneeyes Mouseketeer

Now I had to look this up...we call them zucchini here.

Whenever I get any that have gone too long I like to stuff them. Halve them lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a bit of a boarder. Then I fry up some lean ground beef with some diced onion and minced garlic, season with salt & pepper and mix in with the diced up flesh (you can also add this to the meat to cook first). Add in a bit of Parmesan cheese (to taste) and maybe some basil or oregano and stuff the "boat". Place in a pan that has been sprayed or lightly oiled and top with a bit of pasta sauce and bake at 350 degrees (medium heat) until tender. You can also top with mozzarella if you like before baking.

I love stewed zucchini and though I usually use young ones you can use a larger one, just cut the pieces up smaller.

I usually slice into 1/4 inch thick rounds (or half rounds if larger) and saute in some olive oil with thinly sliced onion until they begin to soften. season with salt, pepper & garlic and add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (not pasta sauce) or more, depending on how much zucchini you have, cover can cook over medium -low heat until soft. This is good as as side dish or as a pasta topper.

4. MazdaUK

I forgot you call them zucchini :blush: I like the stuffed idea - might do that tomorow night. I'm going to roast wiht rosemary and garlic tonight, toss with parmesan and see if the family eat it as a side - if they do I'll do the stuffed version:goodvibes

5. piratesmate

piratesmate <font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t

When ours grew too large I would usually shred them & make "bread". But that's a misnomer...it's very sweet like a cake. You can also shred it, put it in a colander to drain off excess liquid & the freeze portions for more "bread" at a later date.

We also used to cut round slices & layer with fresh, sliced tomatoes, onion in a non-stick or greased casserole then add mozzarella & a few seasoned bread crumbs on top. My kids always thought it tasted like "pizza"...can you tell we didn't have real pizza too often? :rotfl: I'd mainly do this in individual Corning Ware dishes because not everyone liked onions...it was just easier that way. ;)

6. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

We call those "baseball bats" here in the US :rotfl:. If they're not too big you can try Zuccannoes from the Mossewood Cookbook (http://inseasonrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/zucannoes-stuffed-zucchini-moosewood.html) or Moosewood's Zucchini Feta Pancakes if they are bigger (http://www.greensgrow.org/recipes/4.64.html).

I also second piratesmate's idea. I take summer veggies and cut them in rounds and layer then in a baking dish, cover 'em with some olive oil & herbs and then some Parmesan cheese. Bake until brown.

7. MazdaUK

Thanks! I've got a recipe for a bread, I'll have to try that:thumbsup2

8. morgansmom2000

morgansmom2000 DIS Veteran

I made a great chocolate zucchini muffin from a recipe I found online. Let me see if I can find it.

9. morgansmom2000

morgansmom2000 DIS Veteran

10. MazdaUK

Thanks:thumbsup2 Next time they come my way I'll give this a try:goodvibes

11. MIGrandma

MIGrandma Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.

We have a lot of zucchini in our garden this year. We mostly slice them and grill them, along with summer squash. Paint the slices with olive oil and add a little Lawry's seasoning salt and grill on both sides for a few minutes. So good!

And today I'm going to shred some and make zucchini/pineapple bread.

I also have a recipe for zucchini brownies that I want to try.

I found both of those recipes at allrecipes.com