• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zoom lenses

I have the H5 and like it. The only other difference from the H2 than MP is it has a huge 3" LCD.

Don't pay any attention to the battery meter. It is inaccurate. It will show you need to change the battery way before you need to. With rechargable AA batteries being cheap I ignore it and carry spares. I let it shut down then change them.

The flash is slow to recycle but it is one of the strongest around. I haven't done it yet but I think you can vary the strength and this will recycle it faster.

It uses the Duo Memory sticks.

thanks for your advice.I hav recently been getting frustrated with the x3 zoom so will have a look at the above options.

I also have the Panasonic TZ1 that I like. It is a 10x zoom and is small.

The Panasonic fz50 is a 12x zoom. It also has an external flash shoe and shoots RAW format in addition to JPEG.

Manning, I just bought the same camera. Have you burned video from your camera to a dvd yet? If yes, how is the quality. I'm not sure if I should invest in a dvd burner or not. I bought the camera mainly for taking pictures not video. But if the video will be good quality I'll get the burner. Would be interested in any info you have. Thanks! :thanks:

A DVD burner is only $30 or so nowadays... it's worth getting in any case IMHO!

DVD media is much cheaper "per meg" than CD media now, too.

thanks guys,had a look at the H2 and H5.Can feel a shopping spree coming on!!

Do the H2 and H5 take your kind of memory sticks? We were going to try to stick with Sony, but the memory stick styles have changed. None that we saw still used the rectangular sony memory, but rather a new, shorter, more "squared" version. We ended up going with the famed (on this board anyway) Canon S3-IS because if we were going to have to buy new memory anyway...we wanted that camera.

You may already know all of this, but I thought I'd try to help, just in case. Our old camera is only like a year and a half or so old, and it was still on the longer memory sticks.

AllNamesTaken said:
Manning, I just bought the same camera. Have you burned video from your camera to a DVD yet? If yes, how is the quality. I'm not sure if I should invest in a DVD burner or not. I bought the camera mainly for taking pictures not video. But if the video will be good quality I'll get the burner. Would be interested in any info you have. Thanks! :thanks:

Do you already have a burner on your computer? If it is relatively new I think they are equipped with a burner. I may be wrong. If you don't have one I would get one, they are relatively cheap.

I haven't burned any yet, just taking test shots which look good. I also have a camcorder.

AllNamesTaken said:
Manning, I just bought the same camera. Have you burned video from your camera to a dvd yet? If yes, how is the quality. I'm not sure if I should invest in a dvd burner or not. I bought the camera mainly for taking pictures not video. But if the video will be good quality I'll get the burner. Would be interested in any info you have. Thanks! :thanks:

Definately get a DVD burner. To archive photos ,make slideshows and for general computer file backups.

Mikeee

stay with sony purely because i have all the memory sticks.

I wouldn't chose the camera based on its needing memory sticks. In fact, I'd lean towards getting something that used CF or SD cards rather than Sony's proprietary memory stick format. The others are industry standards that enjoy widespread support. With memory sticks, you are essentially tying yourself to Sony equipment in the future because no one else supports it.

Also, memory is pretty cheap these days. It's easy to find a 1 gig SD or CF card for under $20.

My advice is to pick the best camera for your needs and not to worry about the type of memory it uses. If anything I'd lean towards a camera that uses SD or CF because you are more likely to be able to share that memory with other devices (my GPS uses micro SD, my phone uses micro SD, the Nintendo Wii uses SD, my camcorder uses CF).

Just an FYI - if cost is an issue, the Panasonic FZ50 that was mentioned above is over $600, however, the Panasonic DMC-FZ7K Digital Camera is 12x zoom as well, but is only about $300 .. less MP, but how much do you REALLY need, for the extra $300 or so .. I have researched the sony, canon, and panasonic, and now i think i am going to go with the panasonic.. It is cheaper, and uses the SD card vs the exclusive Sony sticks..

I think you are all right about the memory issue.I was only going to stick with sony as i have all the sticks (they are still quite expensive in UK).However,i could get a smarter camera with 1 memory card and then buy a few when i get over there.
So which camera would any of you advise?Don't want anything especially fancy,just better optical zoom.

Thank you everyone for making me think it through. :thumbsup2

Heck I will buy memory and send it to you if that is the cheapest way. As long as it is not illegal for me. You can send funds to my paypal account. I won't even charge for an envelope!

Mikeeee

Just an FYI, I have a Sony with a 3x optical zoom, a Panasonic Lumix FZ-5 and a Canon Rebel XT. The Sony is hugely frustrating due to it's lack of zoom, and the fact that it has a great deal of lag time between shots, the Panasonic (which has a 12x optical zoom, a 432mm equiv) solves both if those problems but has a LOT of noise at any ISO over 200, and only is capable of a 400 ISO, limiting for shooting any type of indoor sport. The only way I have found to solve all of the above problems.....the Rebel XT. Other than the ISO issues I like the Panasonic, but if you shoot sports I would suggest looking elsewhere for another camera with less noise issues. Good luck!!!!

JR6ooo4 said:
Heck I will buy memory and send it to you if that is the cheapest way. As long as it is not illegal for me. You can send funds to my paypal account. I won't even charge for an envelope!

Mikeeee

aw that is so kind of you :grouphug:.When i bought some memory for the sony i actually did buy it from america via ebay (it really is so much cheaper over there).
When i decide on my new camera i may take you up on the offer of getting it for me -thank you so much.

The Nikon 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 G is what I have with my D50 and it's a great lens.

As far as the designations, Nikon hasn't made it easy for the Layman to figure out. Nikonians has a pretty detailed site but I can't post links yet. If you send me your email privately, I will forward you the link.

tony64 said:
How can I tell if this lens is suitable for D50 if I'm buying over the Net???
PS. is there a breakdown of the codeing for lenses somewhere?????

G, ED, iS :confused3 what does it all mean???????

This lens is compatible with the D50.

G = the lens does not have an aperture ring on the lens, so aperture can only be set using the camera.

D = the lens does have the aperture ring on the lens. f/stops can be set on the lens manually or using the cameras onboard computer chip. This type of lens will work on any Nikon SLR camera body, even the old ones before metering and auto focus and stuff.

AF = auto focus

AF-S = auto focus super (maybe) its just a better/faster auto focus system than regular AF

DX = compatable with digital only. Will work on film, but the edges will be useless as the DX lens is made based on the digital sensor size which is smaller than a frame of film. So you will have to crop the film picture to get rid of the bad areas.

ED = Extra-Low Dispersion glass elements (the number varies from lens to lens, the more elements there are the more expensive the lens is) that deliver superior optical performance. ED glass minimizes chromatic aberrations, contributing to superb contrast and resolution performance.

IF = Internal Focus which provides fast and quiet auto focusing without changing the length of the lens.

VR = Vibration Reduction

Hope this helps.

wallpod, treepod, monopod whatever your "pod" of choice is? would most need one for a 200mm f4 lens do you think? i mean in normal daylight conditions, not low light/fireworks etc. ( not IS either)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter