Zombies, Run! App

myadventurebook

Mouseketeer
I was wondering what people's experiences were with the Zombies, Run! App?

I am dying to learn how to run. I've tried C25K numerous times and always give up around the third week. I heard about this newer app recently and thought it sounded great, but I really want to know if it's worth it before I buy. I think zombie stuff is really fun, so it definitely sounds like my cup of tea.

Is this app okay for beginners? I've been trying to do some research and it's not very clear from what I'm reading.

Anyway, if anyone could let me know their experiences with the app, that would be great. Also, if you had any "secrets" or tips for getting through C25K, that would be good as well. I just really want to get into running and I can never seem to figure out how to stick with it. Thanks everyone :goodvibes

Hi! I haven't done the zombie app, but I might once I get better at running.

If you want to start, book yourself into a race that's a few months out. There's your motivation. I am doing a 10-mile one, and really only gave myself 2 months to train... not really enough time, but that's how things happened due to our bad winter, not really getting into the race until 2.5 months before, etc.

Anyway, you could do a 5K or 10K probably much easier. I began the 10K Runner app on 3/1 and am now on Week 9, Day 2. It's a total of 14 weeks to a 10K and I'm trying to finish it by 5/2, my race is on 5/4. After that, I'll try the zombie app before doing the Wine and Dine half marathon.

As far as other tips, the 10K (or 5K) Runner app tells you when to walk and run, and it gives you encouragement badges. I went with the 10K one because it includes the 5K one in it, and because my race is long.

Good luck!

PS-I'm near Philly, too. I'm doing the Broad Street Run--wish me luck! Before this, I couldn't run hardly at all, and yesterday I ran for two 20-minute stretches. Yikes!

I have the Zombies run app but only ended up using it once or twice. It's pretty neat. You can listen to your own music and every once in a while it breaks in telling you to be careful of zombies and you're almost to the safe zone, etc. If you choose the option it will have a few spots were it says zombies are chasing you and to run faster. I don't think it's a really a training app though, although maybe its changed since I used it a few years ago.

If you're just starting out and like Zombies the BF and I used the Couch to 5K app and you can choose your "run host" and one of them is Johnny Zombie or something like that. He's a cheeseball but I liked him. On the app store it has a blue background and just has "5K" on the button in white and green.

I've used the Zombies Run app too. I agree that it really isn't a training app. It's mostly just some fun entertainment when you are out running. So, if you are just trying to find something to help you get through difficult runs by distracting you, it might be a good choice for you. I think the story part is usually 30 minutes and if you go longer than that, it just goes to music and this DJ banter with some of the charaters from the story.

I didn't like using the zombie chase parts because I already run intervals and if the zombies gave chase at a time I wasn't supposed to be running, I didn't like it. I'm really regimented in my runs, so I don't like anything that messes that up. ;) The good thing is that you can set the app up to tell you the story without enabling the chase feature, so if you are worried about having to speed up at a certain time, you won't have to do it that way.

All in all, I think it's a fun little app and it might serve to motivate you to head out for a run so you can hear the next installment.

If you want to start, book yourself into a race that's a few months out. There's your motivation. I am doing a 10-mile one, and really only gave myself 2 months to train... not really enough time, but that's how things happened due to our bad winter, not really getting into the race until 2.5 months before, etc.

Anyway, you could do a 5K or 10K probably much easier. I began the 10K Runner app on 3/1 and am now on Week 9, Day 2.

PS-I'm near Philly, too. I'm doing the Broad Street Run--wish me luck! Before this, I couldn't run hardly at all, and yesterday I ran for two 20-minute stretches. Yikes!

Go Philly! Good luck on your run, and congrats for making the commitment! :cheer2:

I'm a bit too afraid to sign up for a race. I'm the type of person who just wouldn't show up if I wasn't ready, and it wouldn't really encourage me- it would intimidate me.

I don't think it's a really a training app though, although maybe its changed since I used it a few years ago.

I've used the Zombies Run app too. I agree that it really isn't a training app. It's mostly just some fun entertainment when you are out running. So, if you are just trying to find something to help you get through difficult runs by distracting you, it might be a good choice for you.

All in all, I think it's a fun little app and it might serve to motivate you to head out for a run so you can hear the next installment.

Thanks for these answers, guys. This is exactly what I was wondering and you confirmed my suspicions. I'll have to stick with C25K.

Go Philly! Good luck on your run, and congrats for making the commitment! :cheer2:

I'm a bit too afraid to sign up for a race. I'm the type of person who just wouldn't show up if I wasn't ready, and it wouldn't really encourage me- it would intimidate me.

Thanks for these answers, guys. This is exactly what I was wondering and you confirmed my suspicions. I'll have to stick with C25K.

Actually about that there is a Zombies Run 5k app if you want to give that a try out. Never gave it a try myself (was far enough in my running career by the time the app was introduced to me that I went straight to the regular app). But I know of its existence. Same characters structured workouts and the like. Just thought you would want to know.

Zombies Run is good to try once you've moved past the C25k stage though. Really good motivator to keep you running because trust me your going to want to know what the heck happens next.

I've actually used the Zombies, Run! 5k app! Its what got me started running! I love it! I would definitely Recommend it to anyone who wants to start running. I'm now using the regular app and I like that too!

I've been wanting to get this app for a while, but I've been too afraid! I will tell you I ran my first half marathon a few weeks ago and the thought that kept me going was "What if there really was a zombie apocalypse? I need to outrun them!"

This app just went free (with in app purchases) so might be a good time to try it. Though I'm hearing the new version has bugs, I'm still using the old version (Season 1) and I'm really enjoying it. I still get to listen to my music which keeps me going, but the story which breaks in between songs is intriguing and being chased by imaginary zombies is motivation (for me) to run faster and longer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter