Ziplock packing method help

katytrott

DIS Veteran
Hi. I have read so much about the Ziplock packing method and really want to give this a try. Problem is being in the UK, I don't have a Publix, Walmart etc to go to. I have found a store here which sells bags which I think sound similar to yours, but the size given are length and width of the bag, not the volume. I have read the volume bags mostly used are 2 gallons. Am I right with this? Would this be the right size for a preschooler's outfit? If so would anyone be kind enough to measure the length and width of these in cms or inches so I can get the same ones. Also do the ziplock bags you use allow air to be squeezed out and remain out, or do you not need to worry about that?

Sorry, there are a lot of questions here, but I really want to try this, and I knew you guys would be the people to ask. Thanks

I packed 1 pair of shorts, a top, panties and socks in a 10 in x 13 in ziptop bag for dd5 and dd8. I folded the clothes and put them in as flat as I could. Then I sealed the bag almost all the way, squeezed the air out and sealed it the rest of the way.

There was some wrinkling, but it was so humid that I think they fell out the minute we walked outside! I also didn't pack anything that was linen or easily wrinkled this way.

I used the same sized bags on my last trip (to an out of state water park). As a grown adult, i packed a t-shirt, shorts and undergarments for the day per bag. It all fit ok. The bags that are air tight are called travel space bags (spacebag.com). I think ziploc bags (ziploc.com) are the most used because they are less expensive and more common. Hope this helps :Pinkbounc

2 gallons is about 7.5 L... so yes, they would definitely fit a preschooler's outfit. I used the 2 gallon size for DH's clothes (XXL T shirt, shorts, undies, socks).

I found some info online that a 2 gallon Ziploc is 15 and a half inches wide by 13 inches long. That would be about 39 cm by 33 cm. Hope this helps!

So do you pack everything by day for each person. So all tuesdays clothes go in 1 bag or do you do all socks in one/undies in one/ ect? I want to try this next month...

I used the 1 gallon bags for me, DD and DS. One outfit per person per bag. 2 gallon bags for DH. This worked great for the kids b/c there was never any guesswork about what to wear, and they put the dirty clothes right back in(no accidental 2nd wearings of stinky socks, etc.)

I forgot to add... I am also big on rolling clothes. Fewer creases, less ironing. Actually, a few minutes in FL humidity and most wrinkles fall out. ;)

snowy76 said:
2 gallons is about 7.5 L... so yes, they would definitely fit a preschooler's outfit. I used the 2 gallon size for DH's clothes (XXL T shirt, shorts, undies, socks).

I found some info online that a 2 gallon Ziploc is 15 and a half inches wide by 13 inches long. That would be about 39 cm by 33 cm. Hope this helps!

Thankyou so much everyone. I certainly don't need the 2 gallon bag. Am I right in assuming the 1 gallon bag is the 10 X 13 in? Ziploc.com mentioned a quart size, would that be big enough. My son will be wearing size 2-3 age clothes and will probably only be a pair of shorts, t-shirt and a jumper.
One more question, when you sqeeze the air out, does it stay out so it looks like one of those vacuum pack bags?

Yes they will stay flat. you can seal the bag except one corner and use a straw to suck even more air out. Rolling clothes is a great idea use it always to prevent wrinkles. I'd recommend the two gallon and use it for adults to so much easier to not have to find clothes in the morning. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter