ZIKA IN FLORIDA!!! GOV. CONFIRMS LOCAL TRANSMISSION

From what I understand, that is entirely correct.

But those who dismiss concern for women who have a chance of becoming pregnant are doing a real disservice.

Anyone who has a "chance of becoming pregnant", isn't actively trying/planning to and isn't using birth control is doing themselves and their potential unborn child (in the case of Zika) a real disservice.

The actual Zika virus is a mild virus. Aches, maybe a fever...blah blah, for a week or two (I've read the CDC info about it). Then it clears from your blood with no lasting effects and life marches on. So, again, UNLESS YOU ARE PREGNANT OR PLANNING TO BECOME PREGNANT IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE, Zika is of little concern.

Absolutely correct, which is why my family did our spring break trip to a tropical climate with zika with no concern whatsoever. And, I'd do it again. And, I'd go to Florida with zero hesitation. However, I am not pregnant nor is there any chance of becoming pregnant (that ship has sailed...LOL). But, there are LOTS and LOTS of women of childbearing age who either are pregnant or planning to become pregnant...they have a legitimate concern and it's bound to have some impact on tourism in destinations where the zika virus is being spread.

Could you provide links to the pants & shirts? Those would be great for the FL sun. Thanks

We have several different brands, but love the brand Magellan outdoors loose fit fish gear magsheild (we got them on clearance from sports authority or sports academy). I've had heat exhaustion over 4 times and I have to be very careful with the heat and I can wear these. I can not do Coolibar at all. It is not breathable and I really feel the heat in those clothes. Columbia has a few items that I like, but they are very hard to find.

Gander mountain and Bass Pro Shop store has some sun and bug gear as well.

I have type 0 blood and mosquitos love me. I have never been bitten under my clothes from mosquitos.

We have several different brands, but love the brand Magellan outdoors loose fit fish gear magsheild (we got them on clearance from sports authority or sports academy). I've had heat exhaustion over 4 times and I have to be very careful with the heat and I can wear these. I can not do Coolibar at all. It is not breathable and I really feel the heat in those clothes. Columbia has a few items that I like, but they are very hard to find.

I have type 0 blood and mosquitos love me. I have never been bitten under my clothes from mosquitos.
Thanks

Anyone who has a "chance of becoming pregnant", isn't actively trying/planning to and isn't using birth control is doing themselves and their potential unborn child (in the case of Zika) a real disservice.
To be fair...a very few become pregnant ON birth control. Nothing is 100%. I know from experience ;)

I found this interesting. Maybe, it explains why I rarely get mosquito bites?

1. Apparel
As mentioned above, mosquitoes actually use their eyes to target victims. Jay explains that mosquitoes are highly visual, “especially later in the afternoon, and their first mode of search for humans is through vision.” Wearing dark colors (navy, black) and red make you easier to spot, says Jay. (Note to self: Check camouflage summer wear.)

2. Blood type
It’s all about the blood for mosquitoes; well that and nectar. Adult mosquitoes survive on nectar for nourishment, but females rely on the protein in our blood for the production of eggs. So it’s little surprise that some blood types may be more desirable than others. Research has found, in fact, that people with Type O blood are found to be twice as attractive to mosquitoes than those with Type A blood; Type B people were in the middle. In addition, 85 percent of people produce a secretion that signals what blood type they are; mosquitoes are drawn to those 85 percent more than the non-secretors, regardless of blood type.

3. Gas
Mosquitoes can sense carbon dioxide up to 160 feet away; so the more one exhales, the more attractive they become. Larger people exhale more. Also to note, since human beings exhale carbon dioxide through the nose and mouth, mosquitoes are attracted to our heads, which explains the whole “mosquitoes buzzing about the ears all night” misery.

4. Heat and sweat
Mosquitoes apparently have a nose for other scents besides carbon dioxide; they can sniff down victims through the lactic acid, uric acid, ammonia and other compounds emitted in sweat. They also like people who run warmer; a hot sweaty human must seem quite delicious to them – couch potatoes, rejoice. Strenuous exercise increases the buildup of lactic acid and heat in your body, Smithsonian points out, while genetic factors “influence the amount of uric acid and other substances naturally emitted by each person, making some people more easily found by mosquitoes than others.”

5. Lively skin
Some research has shown that the types and amount of bacteria on one’s skin can play a role in brining on the mosquitoes as well. Our dermal casing is naturally teeming with microscopic life, and the whole shebang creates a distinct fragrance. In one study, a group of men were divided into those who were highly attractive to mosquitoes and those who were not. The delicious ones had more of certain microbes on their skin than the unattractive ones, but fewer types – a larger community but less diverse. The bacteria factor could also explain why some mosquitoes are drawn to ankles and feet, an especially ripe source of bacteria.

6. Pregnancy
Women with a bun in the oven are probably those least wanting to attract mosquitoes, but alas, some species are evidently more attracted to pregnant women than women who are not. One study in Africa found that pregnant women are twice as attractive to malaria carrying mosquitoes as non-pregnant women; researchers believe it is due to an increase in carbon dioxide – they found that women in late pregnancy exhaled 21 percent greater volume of breath than non-pregnant women. They also discovered that the abdomens of pregnant women were 1.26°F hotter, adding to the mosquitoes-like-warm-bodies component.

7. Beer
Who knew mosquitoes had a taste for beer? The little lushes. In one study researchers found that significantly more mosquitoes landed on study participants after drinking a 12-ounce beer than before. The scientists figured that it was due to increased ethanol content in sweat and skin temperature from consuming the brew, but they were unable to find the exact correlation, just that it happened. So nobody knows why, clearly the crafty pests aren't targeting inebriated folks as easy marks, but it does seem to be a thing.

DD used to work for Columbia and has several fishing shirts and cool type long sleeve shirts and pants.
She wore them on shore excursion days on our June cruise.......she was still hot most of the time, but not as bad as without them.
She also use insect repellent and repellent bands.....and still got 2 bites under her clothes :(

DD used to work for Columbia and has several fishing shirts and cool type long sleeve shirts and pants.
She wore them on shore excursion days on our June cruise.......she was still hot most of the time, but not as bad as without them.
She also use insect repellent and repellent bands.....and still got 2 bites under her clothes :(

Columbia has a few items that I like, most of them are too hot. I have found Magellan to be the best and it is usually my go to clothing for outdoors. Columbia usually sits in my closet until winter, but I do have three items that are not too bad in the heat.

I found this interesting. Maybe, it explains why I rarely get mosquito bites?

Where did you get all that info about the apparel and so forth? I knew about the blood type because I asked my doctor about all my mosquitos bites and he told me, but I didn't know about all that other info. I get horrible reactions from mosquito bites so I try to do everything in my power not to get bit.

Last edited:
Where did you get all that info about the apparel and so forth? I knew about the blood type because I asked my doctor about all my mosquitos bites and he told me, but I didn't know about all that other info. I get horrible reactions from mosquito bites so I try to do everything in my power not to get bit.
i googled and it popped up on treehugger.com

Makes sense for me.
1. I wear mostly light colored clothing in the summer
2. Not O blood type
3. I'm small
4.rarely sweat
5. ?
6. Not pregnant
7. Don't drink beer

Ten more cases in Florida, making the count 14 now that aren't travel related.

Ten more cases in Florida, making the count 14 now that aren't travel related.

I just told my dad we won't be coming to visit because of this..... He had no idea.... I'm worried about it spreading north....

I think I'm the first person to post who is actually pregnant AND has a trip planned to WDW. Our dates are in early September and we are renting a home in Indian Creek with a screened-in pool and visiting the WDW parks during the day for a week.

I'm still going. I'll be in my second trimester. I have been to WDW numerous times in September, each time staying offsite, and I have never been bitten by a mosquito on a trip. I don't recall even seeing a mosquito. I won't doubt it when someone says they have been bitten on a WDW trip, I'm just sharing my own experience.

I plan on using some insect repellent as a precaution (either DEET or Picardin based sprays are safe for pregnant women with a recommendation to wash them off at night.) The risk of being bitten by a mosquito carrying Zika seems like a very, very, very, very small risk at this point. I may reconsider if there are tons of cases being reported in Central Florida, but for the moment, my decision is to go.

I think that currently, I'm at a higher risk of something bad happening to me by eating a soft serve ice cream cone from McDonalds or Dairy Queen. Why? It's technically recommended for pregnant women to avoid all soft serve ice cream due to the risk of the machine not being cleaned properly and the ice cream getting contaminated with listeria. Listeria is something you don't want to get while pregnant. Well, I've never gotten sick from soft serve ice cream and I order a cone about once a month. The risk just seems incredibly low to me. I feel similarly about Zika at this point in Florida.

The population/abundance of these mosquitos like all mosquitos is greatly impacted by seasonal temperatures and conditions. That said, central and south Florida never really have mosquitos go away like the Midwest and northeast. I was curious about this so I looked it up. The linked study below shows that the prevalence of these Zika carrying mosquitos is super high through October, barely drop in November, then seem to be less but certainly not gone in December-March. Most of the rest of the country, they go away completely during December-March, but not central and south Florida. The risk will be "less" then but never zero. Short of a vaccine, this risk is not going away anytime soon. I don't want to be alarmist, but I doubt this is going to be a one season problem. Mosquitos are impossible to eradicate.

This is really going to hit attendance at Disney and every other theme park and vacation destination, beach, resort in the southeast hard from now until a vaccine or other medicine is developed.

It concerns me and we are not even planning on having any more children.

My only suggestion is to fully educate yourself if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant or are not preventing. Then make an educated choice on what is best for you and what amount of risk given the severity of the potential outcome is acceptable to you and your family. I am certainly not saying to not go, but the risk is not zero and is not going away.

http://currents.plos.org/outbreaks/...edes-aegypti-in-the-contiguous-united-states/

You can't fully eradicate mosquitoes, but you can eradicate certain diseases that they carry, such as yellow fever, which is carried by exactly this same vector insect. It was effectively eradicatied in the US 100 years ago, but the effort that it took in both research and infrastructure improvements was huge. The Zika situation is EXACTLY the same as the Rubella situation was back in the 1960's, and the only thing that got past Congress' tightwad short-sightedness at that time was the increased incidence of abortions that was directly attributable to Rubella infections. I am predicting that sufficient research and cleanup funding won't be pried loose until those numbers start rising here again, sad as that is.

Additional info -- the CDC has issued its first-ever warning against travel within the United States. Two CDC experts on the ground in Miami today, six more by tomorrow. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...new-zika-cases-a-travel-advisory-is-expected/
While true that article is a bit misleading. At this time the warning is ONLY for that one neighborhood.

The washington post article has the following headline: "CDC issues a travel advisory to Florida, which has 10 new cases of Zika."

However, the CDC has the following travel advisory: "Advice for people living in or traveling to Wynwood, a neighborhood in Florida. The Florida Department of Health has identified an area in one neighborhood of Miami where Zika is being spread by mosquitoes. This guidance is for people who live in or traveled to this area any time after June 15 (based on the earliest time symptoms can start and the maximum 2-week incubation period for Zika virus)."

Which headline do you think is going to get the most media attention?

True the warning will likely be expanded but at this time it is only for that neighborhood.

And this just in -- TEN new cases of Zika here, all of them contracted in the Wynwood artsy district just north of downtown Miami. The State of Florida has asked for emergency federal assistance. Here's a link to the Miami Herald story: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article93057392.html
Holy moly, talk about overreaction. Ten people got bit by a mosquito and have cold/flu like symptoms? That requires federal assistance? :sad2:

For pete sake! Just use some insect repellent!

Not 100% effective

I think I'm the first person to post who is actually pregnant AND has a trip planned to WDW. Our dates are in early September and we are renting a home in Indian Creek with a screened-in pool and visiting the WDW parks during the day for a week.

I'm still going. I'll be in my second trimester. I have been to WDW numerous times in September, each time staying offsite, and I have never been bitten by a mosquito on a trip. I don't recall even seeing a mosquito. I won't doubt it when someone says they have been bitten on a WDW trip, I'm just sharing my own experience.

I plan on using some insect repellent as a precaution (either DEET or Picardin based sprays are safe for pregnant women with a recommendation to wash them off at night.) The risk of being bitten by a mosquito carrying Zika seems like a very, very, very, very small risk at this point. I may reconsider if there are tons of cases being reported in Central Florida, but for the moment, my decision is to go.

I think that currently, I'm at a higher risk of something bad happening to me by eating a soft serve ice cream cone from McDonalds or Dairy Queen. Why? It's technically recommended for pregnant women to avoid all soft serve ice cream due to the risk of the machine not being cleaned properly and the ice cream getting contaminated with listeria. Listeria is something you don't want to get while pregnant. Well, I've never gotten sick from soft serve ice cream and I order a cone about once a month. The risk just seems incredibly low to me. I feel similarly about Zika at this point in Florida.

Hi @BadgerGirl84
I get bitten like no one else I know absolutely eaten alive, and they swell up to the size of a golf ball, and if I get more than 5-10 I will start feeling really nauseous and a bit dizzy. I am fanatical about wearing insect repellent all year around, reapplying more than most etc I have used deet insect repellent through all 3 of my pregnancies and haven't been worried about the repellent, I didn't wash it off at night as otherwise I would be bit overnight.

And as far as I can remember I have never been bitten during any of our trips to WDW either (and really if anyone would be its me lol)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter