• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zenni Optical -- Experience Update ( Eye Glasses)

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
Ordered three pairs of Rx glasses from Zenni at the end of December to use all the remaining cash in my health savings account.

Two for wife. One pair for me. A few days later this thread popped up on Disboards Budget:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3365113

Just got our glasses on Thursday. My glasses and one of the wife's were perfect. Look good, fit good and Rx seems right. No issue.

Wife's second pair, the little arms that hold the nose pads are both cocked at the same strange angle, as if they were not folded back to the frame. That results in the glasses being perched a fair distance off the face.

Comparing the "real frames" to the photos of the same frame on their Web site, the nose pads on the Web site are at a total different angle. So, looks like a glitch. Since both the pads on "our pair" are at the same poor angle, it must be some issue with the way they were formed and not an accidental "mash" or something.

Well, their return policy is return within 30 days and "we will look at them." I pay return postage. If they agree, they will replace and refund up to $2.xx in postage.

Guess they are going back. I'll keep you updated. So, for my first Zenni order a 66 percent O.K. ratio. If they fix this without hassle, I will not be too ticked. Otherwise....

BTW: the complete cost for the "bad pair" was $61.90 (progressive lenses, titanium frame, all the "special coatings").

I'd take them by a local shop and try to have them adjusted. That part is made to move anyway. They're supposed to put them at the angle that's best for the most people so that a lot of people don't need adjustments, but they can be moved without breaking. Some places will do it for free and others will charge a small fee. That's especially the way I'd go since HSA money is involved. You never really know how that's going to work out since it's a new year now.

I'd take them by a local shop and try to have them adjusted. That part is made to move anyway. They're supposed to put them at the angle that's best for the most people so that a lot of people don't need adjustments, but they can be moved without breaking. Some places will do it for free and others will charge a small fee. That's especially the way I'd go since HSA money is involved. You never really know how that's going to work out since it's a new year now.

I got my HSA cash from my insurer last week. That is not part of the issue.

I did just get off a bit frustrating 25-minute "chat" with Zenni. The rep at Zenni wanted me to bend the pads. The issue is that this is not a "simple push them closer to the lenses thing."

The ones I have -- versus the frame in their picture have a completely different bend. Not something a handyman at home would attempt without the complete expectation of breaking them. The arms are at a complete 90-degree vertical angle. In the photo -- which I assume is how they are supposed to be -- it is a flat 45 degree angle -- and much closer to the frame.

After I refused to bend them, they told me to take them to a local shop and they would probably "do it for free." I refused, since I do not want "charity" (I did not buy them from the local shop). And I do not want to pay $25 or more for something that should have been correct in the first place.

Then I was told they would send me another frame and I could swap them out. Really....there are no screws on this frame. They are half-rims and I could not even tell HOW they are secured.

After I refused that, I was told they would send me a special tool....Ha, I can't even SEE how to use a tool if I had it.

Finally they agreed to inspect them and offered an Return Authorization.

On one hand, I can see their point. If it was a minor push or pinch, I should be able to do it myself. But, in this case, it was more than that.

So, off they go back to Zenni. If it works out, can't be too upset, as again, I could see their reluctance if all it needed was a gentle push from me. If you all care, I will update in a few weeks.

I got my HSA cash from my insurer last week. That is not part of the issue.

I did just get off a bit frustrating 25-minute "chat" with Zenni. The rep at Zenni wanted me to bend the pads. The issue is that this is not a "simple push them closer to the lenses thing."

The ones I have -- versus the frame in their picture have a completely different bend. Not something a handyman at home would attempt without the complete expectation of breaking them. The arms are at a complete 90-degree vertical angle. In the photo -- which I assume is how they are supposed to be -- it is a flat 45 degree angle -- and much closer to the frame.

After I refused to bend them, they told me to take them to a local shop and they would probably "do it for free." I refused, since I do not want "charity" (I did not buy them from the local shop). And I do not want to pay $25 or more for something that should have been correct in the first place.

Then I was told they would send me another frame and I could swap them out. Really....there are no screws on this frame. They are half-rims and I could not even tell HOW they are secured.

After I refused that, I was told they would send me a special tool....Ha, I can't even SEE how to use a tool if I had it.

Finally they agreed to inspect them and offered an Return Authorization.

On one hand, I can see their point. If it was a minor push or pinch, I should be able to do it myself. But, in this case, it was more than that.

So, off they go back to Zenni. If it works out, can't be too upset, as again, I could see their reluctance if all it needed was a gentle push from me. If you all care, I will update in a few weeks.
Those "half rims" have a string that is similar to fishing line which holds the lens in place. Professionals have a special tool for putting those lenses back in place when they pop out. It's not an easy fix.

I'm surprised that you got so much push back from Zenni, but good for you that you stuck to your guns! You shouldn't have to fix their defective product and I'm appalled that they would even recommend trying to get another business to do it for free.

I get my glasses from goggles4u.com and always have to tweak the nose pads. In my case, they are usually bent slightly towards the lens so as the glasses sit on my nose via the bridge, and not the nose pads. I just use my fingers, carefully of course, and bend them to where they fit correctly.

I bought some glasses from Zenni Optical and they are terrible, the prescription is definitely not accurate, my vision is very distorted compared to my multi year old set of glasses from Costco or my contact lenses. Extremely disappointed in them but at least they were cheap

I ordered my glasses last Sunday and received them in the mail on Friday. They fit perfect and I am very happy. Never received a bad fit or anything else.

My mom returned a pair with no problem because the prescription seemed off. They fixed them right away and she was pleased with the quick turnaround.

I have been ordering from zenni for years with few problems. Once, before they had the try on feature, I got a very unfortunate pair that looks hideous (I keep them for backup). Once a pair of DS' arrived with a chip in the lens, and they sent a new pair. My biggest issue is how quickly frames sell out. I just ordered the most marvelous pair of glasses, and then I LOST them. Went to reorder only a month later and they are out of stock. :(

I bought some glasses from Zenni Optical and they are terrible, the prescription is definitely not accurate, my vision is very distorted compared to my multi year old set of glasses from Costco or my contact lenses. Extremely disappointed in them but at least they were cheap

I had that happen, too. I felt as if I was looking through magnifying glasses. I got headaches from wearing them, and I felt like I was drunk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter