• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yummy Coatings for Chicken?

Please share some ideas of things you use to coat your chicken, either before baking in the oven, or browning in a skillet.

Has anyone ever used cornmeal before? Do you mix it with anything first?

Looking for some new ways to liven up my chicken.

I've used cornmeal to "bread" chicken before, and have also used it with pork cutlets and also with eggplant when making eggplant parmigiana. Mix some Italian seasoning in with the cornmeal, some salt and pepper and some parmesan cheese. It works well. :) Also, some other things good for breading:

- crushed Cheez-It crackers
- pecan meal (buy pecan meal, or just whirl some pecans in the processor)
- crushed pretzels (again, just process them)
- crushed cornflakes (dip the chicken in butter mixed with a little flour and herbs of your choice, then in the cornflakes - super good)

I have a great recipe for Tandoori chicken legs (they marinate in yogurt!) if anyone wants it - PM me and I'll type it out.

I third or fourth the Ritz cracker coating : ) I mix the crushed crackers with parmesan and whatever seasonings I feel like adding, use a creamy salad dressing (like ranch) to coat first and then dip into the crackers, and then put butter on top to bake.
I want to try the French's onions, yum!

Wow! These are some really yummy ideas. Thanks!

This is what I ended up doing tonight (I thought I had some cornmeal leftover, but turns out it's gone):

I had some leftover tortilla chips (mainly crumbs in the bottom of the bag) so I put them in a ziploc baggie and crushed them up really fine. I added a bit of flour, some poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. I just threw the chicken tenders in the bag and shook. Baked on a pan with a bit of butter. Turned out very yummy.

I like to use mayo as a "glue". I'll dip in mayo and then sprinkle with parmesan.

I am sure this has been posted but my kid favorite way to have chicken is when I dip it in ranch (my Dh likes it in caesar dressing) and then roll it in bread crumbs mixed with parmesian cheese. I also sprinkle more parmesian cheese on top and bake. SOOOO GOOD!! Also very tender :)

I've not tried it yet, but I've seen a recipe for chicken dipped in crushed "French Fried Onions". The ones you use when you make the Thanksgiving green bean casserole. It sounds pretty good!

Swiss Chicken

This is our favorite chicken recipe:

1 family pack of boneless/skinless chicken breasts
2 large cans of cream of chicken soup (add milk so it's like gravy)
1 package of swiss cheese
1 package of croutons (we use garlic flavored)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a baking dish the size of a cake pan. Prepare the soup and stir in the croutons. Layer the bottom of the pan with soup mixture. Then layer the chicken breasts on the soup. Cover chicken breasts with swiss cheese. Pour remaining soup on to of the chicken breasts. Cover pan with foil. Bake until chicken breasts are tender. (Usually about 90 minutes). ;)

This is kind of rich, but it is so yummy!!

Soak chicken overnight or for several hours in a bottle of Italian salad dressing, then roll in a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and bake until chicken is done. I usually use boneless chicken breasts, but any pieces will do. Usually serve with roasted potatoes.

Love chicken rolled in corn flake crumbs after soaking in buttermilk.

Suzanne princess:

Rachel Ray has a recipe for pretzel coated chicken which is sooooo good!

Allyson

This is one of my favorites of hers!! :thumbsup2

Take the boneless breasts and you want to cut them in half, and then put in a plastic bag to pound so they are even - that way they cook faster!! Dip in egg wash, then dip in pretzels ( she reccommends sourdough pretzels that you put in a clean ziplock bag and hammer - I just put them in a food processor and grind)

add EVOO to skillet and fry on both sides about 5 min a side, or less...

in a separate saucepan she has a mustard cheese sauce to go with this that is AWESOME!! I'm sure if you google her website you can find it - I'm just writing from memory - but its basically make a roux of butter flour add some milk, and a Tbl dijon mustard, and 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese (her measurments may be different, its just the two of us...)

This is one of my favorites of hers!! :thumbsup2

Take the boneless breasts and you want to cut them in half, and then put in a plastic bag to pound so they are even - that way they cook faster!! Dip in egg wash, then dip in pretzels ( she reccommends sourdough pretzels that you put in a clean ziplock bag and hammer - I just put them in a food processor and grind)

add EVOO to skillet and fry on both sides about 5 min a side, or less...

in a separate saucepan she has a mustard cheese sauce to go with this that is AWESOME!! I'm sure if you google her website you can find it - I'm just writing from memory - but its basically make a roux of butter flour add some milk, and a Tbl dijon mustard, and 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese (her measurments may be different, its just the two of us...)

Yumm-O! ;)

Thanks guys! I just got back from Winn-Dixie where they had the boneless/skinless chicken breasts for buy one get one free!:cool1: I was just going to bake some and cover with BBq sauce while baking, but now I have to try the french's onions!:cool1:

I can't wait to try some of these recipes - they sound so good!!!

My usual recipe for chicken is: dip cutlets in melted butter, cover with a mix of seasoned breadcrumbs mixed with parmasan cheese. Put in baking dish, add 1/4 cup white wine or apple juice and chopped scallions. Bake at 350 for around 25 minutes.

Flavored bread crumbs
Parm. Cheese
Garlic powder
Tons of fresh ground pepper

YUMMY!!

Also a favorite for a something a little different
Same flavored bread crumbs
halved with crumbled up pecans- slightly chunky
Parm cheese

After I fry them up in a little olive oil. I top each cutlet with a pad of chili butter(just mash up some butter with chili powder- roll it in plastic wrap and chill until you need it.
I just cut off a piece and top the hot cutlet- mmmmm.

Crunchy chicken:

lightly spray chicken with olive oil
roll chicken in ground honey bunches of oats (put in food processor)
bake

mmmmmmmm it's sooooo good

My mom always keeps some extra cereal ground up so that it's a very quick dinner

We marinate it overnight in garlic ranch salad dressing. It is moist and delicious.

My family loves Cheez-It Chicken. It's pretty easy to make (just a little messy).

1 part parmesean cheese (regular Kraft in the green container)
2 parts crushed cheez-it crumbs
Mix together in one dish that is big enough to dip the chicken breasts into

In other dish (also big enough to dip chicken in), mix together:
1 part yellow mustard
2 parts mayo

Dip boneless, skinless chicken breasts into the mustard/mayo combination until covered. Then dip the chicken into the cheez-it/cheese mix. Place in a baking dish and bake at 350. Baking time will depend on how many chicken breasts you have, but I believe it usually takes about 25 min when I make 2 breasts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter