youth organizations

kacaju

DIS Veteran
Were you in on when you were young?

Did you stay involved as you aged out?

Are your children (if you have them) involved in the same or something different?

It has been on my mind this week.. Our annual 4-H fair is fast approaching and so many of *my* kids are now back as adults now volunteering their time and now they are starting to have their OWN kids who will be entering the program as soon as they can!!

Here are my answers in bold and it can be Any Organization or Sports.

Were you in on when you were young?yes 4-H

Did you stay involved as you aged out? Yes and I am still involved

Are your children (if you have them) involved in the same or something different? yes, all 3 of my girls were involved , one is aged out and will come back to the program once she finishes College. She has already helped out in various ways while in College

It has been on my mind this week.. Our annual 4-H fair is fast approaching and so many of *my* kids are now back as adults now volunteering their time and now they are starting to have their OWN kids who will be entering the program as soon as they can!!

I was a Girl Scout but gave it up in middle school to focus on sports, and didn't get involved (other than having a daughter in a troop) as an adult. Part of that is the changes in scouting over the years, though. I think a lot of what I loved best about it has gotten lost over the years and my girls just didn't "click" with the new, STEM-pushing, tech-friendly, more "girly" era of Girl Scouting.

DD13 and DD6 are both 4Hers and that seems to be an organization with a lot of people who stay involved as adults, even before they have children in the program. DD13's archery leader is a former member of our club who started volunteering as soon as she came back home after college, and we had quite a few college-aged older siblings helping out at our fair (which was last week).

I was heavily involved in Girl Scouts all the way through the 9th grade; I dropped GS in favor of marching band in 10th grade. I played community league soccer and slow-pitch soft ball, and I was involved in my church's youth activities.

My DD21 was also very involved in Girl Scouts, until HS. She really loved the "soft" GS activities, working on cooking badge, hospitality, camping, horsemanship, sewing and various art or craft badges. Once she was in HS, she joined the show choir and drama dept; she taught dance & theater in the summers.

I did not continue working with DDs previous activity programs. She doesn't either. However, we both still love to go camping, love to sew and cook, and love to create art or craft projects. I guess we can thank Girl Scouts for that. :thumbsup2

Were you in on when you were young? Yes, I was in a Masonic youth group for girls. It was called Organization of Triangles Inc. It can only be found in NY but there are others similar that are found across the country and international. Rainbow for Girls and Jobs Daughters.

I am so thankful that my neighbor introduced it to me. It was such a great time of my life and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I know the fact that it's Masonic is scary to a lot of people but it really isn't. It is a very charitable organization that helps girls to become very strong women. It really isn't much different than scouts. The motto for Triangle is "For a Finer American Womanhood". If anybody is curious, here is the link to the website.

http://nytriangle.org/

Did you stay involved as you aged out? Yes. I am now a part of the adult organizations.

Are your children (if you have them) involved in the same or something different? If I have daughters I would love for them to join and if I have sons, I would love for them to join the group for boys called DeMolay. Of course, it would be their decision.

My answers are in bold!:)

The only thing I did as a kid, was softball. I played 4th grade-8th grade in the town recreation program and then through 12th in high school.

My daughter is going into 9th grade, has played softball since she was 6 and plans to continue through high school.

My husband played rec football(and HS football). He coached one year when he was 25(before we had kids). My son started playing when he was in 4th grade and my husband started coaching. Though he coached the oldest kids(7th and 8th graders), not our son. LOL
This year my son is going into 7th, so he'll be on his team.

2 of the coaches of the smaller kids are guys that my husband coached that year when he was 25.

Since last season, my husband is also president of the football league. He loves this kind of stuff, very involved in town, very personable, gets along with everyone, good with kids, good with adults, loves football and is crazy organized-he's perfect for it.

I was in Girls Scouts for one year. Meh. There was no troop when my daughter was little, I'd have had to run it and I had no desire to do that, so she didn't do it. My son did Cub Scouts for one year-totally boring troop, didn't want to do it after that.
We stick with sports.

I was in girl scouts when I was in elementary school and then in church youth group and music activities.

My husband didn't do ANY activities, but he did solitary things like riding his dirt bike back in the hills.

My boys weren't interested in boy scouts, but both did church youth group and lots of music.

One of my sons did drum corps. I think he'll be a life long fan/supporter, as will we.

In general, my kids are pretty passionate about the same things I was passionate about, and one son enjoys dirt biking..

I was a Girl Scout all the way through senior year of high school--even earned my Gold Award.

Signed DD up for Daisy's but all the troop leader did was talk about how to fundraise the girls to Disney. :confused3 That was NOT what Girl Scouts was supposed to do. I can go to Disney on my own thank you very much. Was hoping to share the arts and crafts and cooking and camping with DD. But after that experience she started playing soccer and hasn't looked back.

I have been a youth leader for our church's youth group for the last 21 years, but am about to venture into being the church secretary and give up working with youth. I still have 3 kids in the church youth group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter