You're Here BY YOURSELF? A Solo TR COMPLETED!

I can't wait to read more. This sounds like it was such a nice trip for you. I'd love to go solo sometime. I'm in!

Let me share a secret with allof you. You all know about my irrational fear of clowns. I have another irrational fear--falling. Yes. I am afraid of falling. Big time. So much so that for years, I would never ride a roller coaster. I remember dh and I getting on a roller coaster at Carowinds and him screaming curse words every five minutes. It was funny now that I look back, but then, I decided I did not like roller coasters.

So, it may surprise many of you that my first stop was this:

DSC_0062.jpg

Yes--Space Mountain. After taking on Barnstormer, Splash, BTMRR, and Everest, I thought, this will be a breeze.

I was right! My first fastpass retrieval for the trip was after this ride. Now, by now it was 10am, and there was only a 20 min wait for Space Mountain. Remember that. It will come into play later in the trip.

After that, I decided to ride my favorite MK rides before lunch back at the resort. Of course, one of the favorites was . . .

DSC_0049.jpg

And from Peter Pan's Flight, I took a picture of the old loading area for the Skyway. . .

DSC_0026.jpg

Which lead me to this musing. . .in life there are lots and lots of things we miss out on because of time, that can only be experienced later in pictures. The Skyway is an example. Thinking of riding above the Magic Kingdom and taking pictures from that vantage point makes me wistful for doing that. Unfortunately, we will only be able to experience it now in pictures.

One may wonder why my trip reports are almost always 90% pictures and less words. I find the pictures to be more than enough of the story from time to time. In this case, the Skyway. Oh how many stories this picture tells to many who just happen upon the picture. Memories of years gone by. Now it just sits there, with no purpose, except to remind us of the past. And give hope for a future.

I'm here! :goodvibes

I love that you have lots of pictures in your trip reports, because it's so much fun to see everything from someone else's perspective! You're bringing back some fond memories of the holidays at Disney, and I love your remembering the Skyway. :thumbsup2

Well you are a braver woman than I! I can honestly say that Space Mt. is not on my list of to-do's for my solo trip... I rode it once. When I was [much] younger. I think it's my own irrational fear of whipping around on a roller coaster in the dark. Normally I will size up a coaster by watching it, then determine if I want to ride it. Can't do that here! And yet, I rode Everest sight-unseen. :confused3 (and LOVED it, by the way!!!):rotfl:

Bring on the pictures!!!!!!!

Did you happen to see the thread recently on the old River Country?...it was posted in that update feed at the top of the main DIS page. So. Sad. DH and I went there on our first trip to Disney together back in '96. Now it's decaying and succumbing to the elements, living now only in pictures and our memories...*sigh*

I'm here! :goodvibes

I love that you have lots of pictures in your trip reports, because it's so much fun to see everything from someone else's perspective! You're bringing back some fond memories of the holidays at Disney, and I love your remembering the Skyway. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Ah, thanks, TK (and bean). I wish I could have seen it in its hey-day. But there will be things my kids see pictures of and say, "Remember when. . ."

Well you are a braver woman than I! I can honestly say that Space Mt. is not on my list of to-do's for my solo trip... I rode it once. When I was [much] younger. I think it's my own irrational fear of whipping around on a roller coaster in the dark. Normally I will size up a coaster by watching it, then determine if I want to ride it. Can't do that here! And yet, I rode Everest sight-unseen. :confused3 (and LOVED it, by the way!!!):rotfl:

I love Everest, too! I did find SM to be quite the jerky little ride, btw. My neck will never be the same.

Bring on the pictures!!!!!!!

Did you happen to see the thread recently on the old River Country?...it was posted in that update feed at the top of the main DIS page. So. Sad. DH and I went there on our first trip to Disney together back in '96. Now it's decaying and succumbing to the elements, living now only in pictures and our memories...*sigh*

I saw the RC thread and am subscribed to it. I think eventually Disneyw ill do something with the area, but I think they think it would be a bad idea given the current economy. Then again, I'd like to see the other section POP finished. If they did family suites over there, I'd be sooo over that one!

Your clowno-phobia...does that mean you avoid Spectromagic?

Anyway, I went in July when SM was closed and I was VERY bummed out that I couldn't ride. I love all things coaster, myself.

I think it's odd that they kept the old Skyway buildings in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland vacant for so long. It's kind of eery to me. It's like...DO something with these things already. Speaking of which...I heard from a CM that they are reforming the Tomorrowland Skyway building into something. Not sure how accurate that info was, but that's what I was told.

Great update.

I'm like you...not a big fan of clowns at all (the main reason we won't stay at the Boardwalk); and I love the picture of the Skyway...I really miss seeing that go across the sky (although I didn't really enjoy riding it).

I've never been on Space Mountain, although I've been to WDW many times. I just never got the chance to go on because the people with me would never go on. When I went by myself, it was being refurbished but when I next go, there will be no excuse whatsoever!

Great start! Can't wait to hear more. Maybe someday i'll take a solo trip. You are a brave soul!

Subscribing!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your solo trip. I have traveled quite a bit in Europe without DH and the kids but haven't traveled solo much in the US or to Disney, but I would like to at some point.

Your clowno-phobia...does that mean you avoid Spectromagic?

Anyway, I went in July when SM was closed and I was VERY bummed out that I couldn't ride. I love all things coaster, myself.

I think it's odd that they kept the old Skyway buildings in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland vacant for so long. It's kind of eery to me. It's like...DO something with these things already. Speaking of which...I heard from a CM that they are reforming the Tomorrowland Skyway building into something. Not sure how accurate that info was, but that's what I was told.

I don't avoid Spectro, but I don't like the clown. I also don't really like It's A Small World because of the clowns in the hot air balloons. But I will ride it and not look up. :rotfl:

If you look at the map of the new Fantasyland, it looks like the Skyway building is not even there, but since it doesn't really include Pinocchio's Village Haus, IASW, or Peter Pan, you can't really tell. It seems that in that big refurb, we'll lose that building somehow.

Great update.

I'm like you...not a big fan of clowns at all (the main reason we won't stay at the Boardwalk); and I love the picture of the Skyway...I really miss seeing that go across the sky (although I didn't really enjoy riding it).

LOL--seeing as I don't like heights all that much, either, I can relate. Some of the pictures of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea taken from the Skyway are awesome, though.

I've never been on Space Mountain, although I've been to WDW many times. I just never got the chance to go on because the people with me would never go on. When I went by myself, it was being refurbished but when I next go, there will be no excuse whatsoever!

Space Mountain is a must-do. (LOL, do I sound like Stacy?)

Great start! Can't wait to hear more. Maybe someday i'll take a solo trip. You are a brave soul!

Hey, Anna! You can totally do it! You really should sometime. If you do it off season, I'll bet Shay can spare a day trip down.

Subscribing!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your solo trip. I have traveled quite a bit in Europe without DH and the kids but haven't traveled solo much in the US or to Disney, but I would like to at some point.

:welcome: I think traveling solo can be awesome! No one to answer to, and you can make split second decisions without clearing it with the party. That's one thing I'm going to miss in July. . .

Way to go Amanda! I love going with my family, but I love going SOLO! I really enjoy the spontenaity of it all. I think it's very cool that you switched your plan from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. Very cool.

I also love TR's with pictures! Thanks for yours so far. I've enjoyed what you've posted so far, sounds like a some good fun so far. I'm looking forward to more - especially since we leave for our next trip in just a little more than 10 days.

Ohhh, a solo trip report. I love those. I am definitely subscribing. :) I would love to do one myself some day.

Great start to your tr. I am always so impressed with people willing to go solo. I almost ended up solo with our dec trip as we had issues with who was going to watch the kids on our "no kids trip". At first I didn't think I would mind but as we got closer I knew I really wanted to share the experience with someone. Some day I will be ready for a solo trip.

I love space mountain but hate astro oribitor. I feel like I am going to fall right out of there. I don't like heights but love roller coasters. :confused3 Space mountain is my all time favorite.

Can't wait to read more.

Way to go Amanda! I love going with my family, but I love going SOLO! I really enjoy the spontenaity of it all. I think it's very cool that you switched your plan from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. Very cool.

I also love TR's with pictures! Thanks for yours so far. I've enjoyed what you've posted so far, sounds like a some good fun so far. I'm looking forward to more - especially since we leave for our next trip in just a little more than 10 days.

Thanks for joining in and I have really gotten to enjoy a solo trip. Although next trip, I don't think I'd be gone for such a long time.

Ohhh, a solo trip report. I love those. I am definitely subscribing. :) I would love to do one myself some day.

You should try it--I had so much fun!

Ah the skyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very fond memories.

I miss it.

I wish I could have seen it.

Great start to your tr. I am always so impressed with people willing to go solo. I almost ended up solo with our dec trip as we had issues with who was going to watch the kids on our "no kids trip". At first I didn't think I would mind but as we got closer I knew I really wanted to share the experience with someone. Some day I will be ready for a solo trip.

I love space mountain but hate astro oribitor. I feel like I am going to fall right out of there. I don't like heights but love roller coasters. :confused3 Space mountain is my all time favorite.

Can't wait to read more.

I think dh and I would go alone if there was someone to watch the kids, but alas, who really wants to take care of three kids while a couple is gone for a week-long or even weekend trip. I think I'll have to wait until my oldest is 14 or 15--which won't be too long.

So when I last left you all, I was leaving the Magic Kingdom. Ahh, what a wonderful place, which holds a dear place in my heart. A major thing that my sister-in-law did for us was make the Magic Kingdom our first ever Disney stop. Because of that, it will forever hold a mystique that I can never quite get enough of.

One last look before I leave. . .

DSC_0050.jpg

So, I returned to the resort and took a short nap after lunch in the food court. After all, I had been up since 3am!

I then got up and went to Hollywood Studios. My first ride there. . .The Tower of Terror.

IMG_0019.jpg

Now, let me preface by saying, I'd never ridden it before. I learned two lessons that day:

1. People who have a fear of heights probably should not ride the ride. Especially if you have another irrational fear of falling in an elevator.

2. 21ish year old girls should not get intoxicated and then attempt to ride this ride.

I've said it.

And I "judged them."

Let me back up a bit. I decided that I would try the TOT. As I was walking up the path to it, I was almost bowled over by two young ladies who were laughing and apparently having a good time. I did not think much of it. I made my way to the line and there they were--both of them--laughing and giggling girls. With a strong odor over them.

They decided to pick on this I'd say 12-year-old boy and his older brother.

"You're judging us."

"Why are you looking at us?"

It was like, my gosh, can't you smell yourself?

At some point the lines divided. The giggly girls and the poor young men were in the same line. I was in a different one.

Poor guys.

As we got farther in I heard people say, "Those two are gonna hurl" and "I'm glad I'm not in the room with them."

Apparently, the guys thought the same thing, because they actually asked the cast members to move them to another location. Thank goodness. That's them, right beside me. The older has a lime green shirt on (good taste.) It looks like I'm trying to hold his hand.

IMG_0021.jpg

In the front.

Poor guy--I'm sorry I kept grabbing your pants leg, by the way. I was scared beyond belief.

And by the way--I'm sure I was better company. After all, even they said they were going to hurl.

Coming up. . .the Osborne Lights.

omg how crazy is that?! Can you imagine if they were on RnR?!!!!!!

I'm glad you were brave and rode TOT. It is by far my fav ride. My one roomie in FL and I would go there on our days off just to ride that ride. At one point we got to know the CMs very well and they would "back door" us on the ride. One time we rode it 11 times in an hour because of them lol. And then we 'd go to Steak n' Shake and talk about our day haha. It is an awesome ride!!

I learned two lessons that day:

1. People who have a fear of heights probably should not ride the ride. Especially if you have another irrational fear of falling in an elevator.

2. 21ish year old girls should not get intoxicated and then attempt to ride this ride.

As we got farther in I heard people say, "Those two are gonna hurl" and "I'm glad I'm not in the room with them."

Poor guy--I'm sorry I kept grabbing your pants leg, but the way. I was scared beyond belief.

And by the way--I'm sure I was better company. After all, even they said they were going to hurl.

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: Oh my. Sounds like quite the adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter