Your ULTIMATE SURVIVAL GUIDE to Disney World at Christmas Time! UPDATE x2 10/21

That view is absolutely stunning! I think I would die of happiness! :laughing:

I can't wait to try Kona for breakfast- it looks soooo yummy!

Can't wait to see what else your Christmas day holds! :santa:

OMG you are sooooooooooooo lucky to wake up in Walt Disney World on Xmas day.

What a great tip to avoid the parks on Christmas Day! I have heard horror stories about the crowds during Christmas vacation, which is why I didn't think I'd ever want to go during the holiday season. It would be nice to have a more relaxing trip during that time period instead of running to and fro.

Yum, I think those pancakes look delicious! Initially, I wasn't enticed by them because I'm not that big on macadamia nuts. However, I finally tried that bread that they have at Kona, and I was floored!!! Haha, I very distinctly remember the deer face you made with the Kona bread! That breads makes me open to the pancakes!

Two wonderful updates! I'm so sorry about your throat on Christmas Day.
How wonderful that you could go to Mass without leaving the resort. I saw on the sign that they had two Catholic Masses. That is good to know.
Breakfast at Poly looked so yummy! I love the smell of the Polynesian. There is just something about it. We ate there twice ('Ohana & Kona) on our trip and I love the smell of the place as you walk through the door. I always have to take the waterfall pictures.

Thank you! Eh that's okay. It could have been worse!
That was AWESOME! We are Catholic too so it was really convenient!
It was SO good. I completely know what you mean about the smell in there!! It's absolutely fantastic. That resort is beyond beautiful!

That view is absolutely stunning! I think I would die of happiness! :laughing:

I can't wait to try Kona for breakfast- it looks soooo yummy!

Can't wait to see what else your Christmas day holds! :santa:

I agree! I pretty much did!
You NEED to! It's one of the best breakfasts you'll ever have!
I can't wait to show you guys!

OMG you are sooooooooooooo lucky to wake up in Walt Disney World on Xmas day.

Aww thanks! I was so happy to be there - you have no idea!!

What a great tip to avoid the parks on Christmas Day! I have heard horror stories about the crowds during Christmas vacation, which is why I didn't think I'd ever want to go during the holiday season. It would be nice to have a more relaxing trip during that time period instead of running to and fro.

Yum, I think those pancakes look delicious! Initially, I wasn't enticed by them because I'm not that big on macadamia nuts. However, I finally tried that bread that they have at Kona, and I was floored!!! Haha, I very distinctly remember the deer face you made with the Kona bread! That breads makes me open to the pancakes!

First off... I see that your little banner thing under your username says something about VMK. Did you used to play that game?! I did and I LOVED it. I'm still heartbroken that it's gone. :sad1:

Just wait until you see my picture of the MK Christmas Day crowds. It's SCARY. :scared1: We took a VERY relaxed approach on this trip and it literally was the best trip I have ever been on. I felt like I got to do so much even though it was crowded! If park touring/rides are your priorities, you can't possibly have that much fun during this week. But if seeing the decorations/resorts/eating food is more of your priority, you're all set!

Mmm well those pancakes are AWESOME. You might like them - especially if you like that bread! If you don't like the pancakes, you can always get the Tonga Toast! I love that one too!

Chapter 63: The Gingerbread House at the Grand Floridian
December 25th, 2011

Not only is the Grand Floridian Gingerbread house beautiful decoration, but there is also a little store located inside of it! They sell tons of delicious sweets that guests are able to purchase!

dsc0001gj.jpg

They even had fully decorated gingerbread houses for sale!

dsc0002mvm.jpg

Everything looked SO GOOD. That Cinderella treat is an oreo covered in white chocolate. I MAJORLY regret not getting that. It looked amazing.

dsc1033q.jpg

dsc1034fj.jpg

But since we were at a Gingerbread House, Mom and I decided on buying a gingerbread cookie. It's made out of the same ingredients they use to make the house. I thought it looked really cute.

dsc0011g.jpg

dsc0012lm.jpg

I'm very sad to say that it didn't taste as good as it looked. ): I was disappointed. It was really dry and I wasn't a fan. The dang cookie was $7, too. I felt really bad for spending money on it, but I didn't know.

Christmas Tip #29: Be cautious of buying the gingerbread cookies from the Gingerbread House at the Grand Floridian. Mine was really dry and flavorless. There were many other treats for sale that looked a lot better!

Here's the pamphlet that I took from the Gingerbread store:

dsc0017qub.jpg

I decided to take more pictures of the house! The window fixtures were ADORABLE:

dsc0013uh.jpg

dsc0014gs.jpg

dsc0015pc.jpg

dsc0016pwj.jpg

If you look closely, you can see Tinkerbell and Winnie the Pooh window fixtures in this picture:

dsc1022g.jpg

And then Tink and Pluto:

dsc1023oj.jpg

I found a hidden mickey!

dsc0005ho.jpg

Mom and I wandered over to the big Christmas tree so we could find someone to take our picture. This older man offered to take it.

dsc0019.jpg

We chatted with him afterwords and he actually lives around there. He comes to Disney every Christmas and renews his Annual Pass because he doesn't have anyone to spend Christmas with. ): I felt so sad for him! We talked to him for a while and I think it made his day a little bit better!

Back to more pictures of the Gingerbread House!

dsc1021us.jpg

Some close-ups:

dsc1024l.jpg

DEER!

dsc1025t.jpg

dsc1026w.jpg

The line for the Photopass finally died down, so we grabbed another picture in front of the tree:

dsc1027fx.jpg

This Christmas tree is SPECTACULAR:

dsc1028g.jpg

A closer view of the ornaments:

dsc1029qw.jpg

We got a picture in front of the gingerbread house too:

dsc1030wp.jpg

I LOVE THIS RUG! (remember it for future reference)

dsc1031m.jpg

We really could not get enough of this gingerbread house! It seriously blew my mind. It was SO AWESOME!

Christmas Tip #30: It is worth taking a special trip to the Grand Floridian to see the giant Gingerbread House. DON'T MISS IT! It's made out of real gingerbread and there's a little store inside! Too cute!

Continued in Next Post

I updated twice today... so don't miss the other post on the previous page!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 64: I Really Enjoy Photographing the Disney Resorts
December 25th, 2011

We wandered outside of the Grand Floridian to take some more pictures because it was such a beautiful day!

dsc0020zk.jpg

I posted on twitter:
I would take the sunshine over a white Christmas any day :-)

dsc0023lm.jpg

DEER SPOTTING!

dsc0022ma.jpg

I love taking some time to admire the Grand Floridian. That, to me, is just as much fun as riding any of the attractions.

dsc0024tj.jpg

I feel so incredibly happy here - the atmosphere is truly like none other!

dsc0025axd.jpg

Not much happened during this time. I was just snapping pictures like it was my job. So please enjoy the pretty view!

dsc0026bo.jpg

dsc0027ei.jpg

You know me, I looove fountains!

dsc0029uin.jpg

dsc0030ws.jpg

Such beautiful poinsettias, again! :-)

dsc0031hl.jpg

dsc0033su.jpg

dsc0032qi.jpg

We looked around for quite a while, and then we decided that it was time to go back and catch the monorail. I decided to look down at the floor once I was back inside and I spotted TINKERBELL! Seriously, Disney details are EVERYWHERE.

dsc0034fr.jpg

We got on the monorail, we started moving, I looked outside, and I tweeted:
Just saw the magic kingdom crowds out the window of the monorail.... HAHA merry Christmas, Disney. WOW I am not going there today.

dsc0036lw.jpg

DO YOU SEE THAT!? DO YOU SEE THOSE CROWDS! That's what you would get yourself into if you decide to go to the Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day or the days in between Christmas and New Year's. I'm tellin' ya, it would be an experience for sure. I was not up for it, though. I knew that going into this trip - there was NO way I was going to fight crowds like that on Christmas. As you can probably tell, we took a very relaxed approach on this trip and avoided the chaos as much as possible.

Christmas Tip #31: If you want a relaxing Christmas Day, AVOID THE MAGIC KINGDOM AT ALL COSTS.

Ahhh Space Mountain looks so peaceful from far away. (Just imagine the insanity occurring inside of that building!!)

dsc0038gy.jpg

We arrived back at the Contemporary and I decided to take a few pictures of the gingerbread tree! It's not quite as extravagant as the Grand Floridian's Gingerbread House, but it's still worth seeing because it is quite beautiful!

dsc0042ot.jpg

It had an "It's a Small World" theme! :-)

dsc0040gx.jpg

dsc0039mv.jpg

This is where Santa would sit when he came out for meet and greets!

dsc0041as.jpg

dsc0045co.jpg

There's a little store here too selling more sweet treats!

dsc0043su.jpg

On our way back to the room I peaked in the gift shop and noticed that THE 2012 MERCHANDISE WAS OUT! At this current point in time, we've probably all seen it. But this was exciting because it was the first-time viewing for me! I do remember being slightly disappointed, though, because it seemed very similar to 2011. Oh well.

dsc0046bn.jpg

Contemporary light art! (Doesn't it remind you of that great toy, The Lite Brites?!)

dsc0047sk.jpg

That wreath. That wonderful, beautiful wreath.

dsc0048jr.jpg

Time to go back to the room!

dsc0049rp.jpg

Continued in Next Post

You're welcome! OH MY GOSH THAT IS MY DREAM! Congratulations - I am so happy for you! I am sure that you will have the most magical wedding ever! Thank you so much! You are going to be blown away by the Christmas decorations! And OMG absolutely. Bay Lake is beyond amazing and it will literally make your trip THAT much more special. Absolutely YES. That's a wonderful idea! I'm so glad you're here and enjoying the report! I hope you have the most perfect wedding! :goodvibes

You are so sweet :) thank you so much! I will definitely continue to follow along!

Hate to break it to ya, but I was born in the very early 80's and fondly remember my Lite Brite! :teacher: :rotfl2:
Love your updates, your pics are great.

Yeah, me too! :lmao:

Bummer about the dry cookie...it looked SOOO good! Thanks for the tip though...paying $7 for a sub-par cookie would be hard to swallow (pun intended! :thumbsup2).

That picture of the MK entrance area....:scared1: YIKES! You guys were very wise to avoid the MK!

I am sorry the gingerbread cookie wasn’t good. Kind of a waste of $7, but like you said, you didn't know. It looks yummy, but I guess not.

I love all of the little details on the gingerbread house. So cute!

I’m glad you made that man’s day a little better!

The Grand Floridian is gorgeous!

Holy…those Magic Kingdom crowds are INSANE!

I am in love with Contemporary light art. Haha it does remind me of the Lite Bright!

Jess, I do believe you should become a Disney tour guide...you take us on the most amazing journeys through the World! :cloud9:

I absolutely love seeing you and your family wearing shorts and capris on Christmas Day...only at the Happy Place! :love:

Funny story about the gingerbread house...My fiance and I were in WDW Dec. 2010 and we took a whole day just going from resort to resort looking at all the fabulous decorations. When we got to the GF, I was completely in awe of the gingerbread house. I NEEDED to buy a cookie, so I went up to the little store and grabbed a pretty tree shaped cookie that was decorated with pretty edible pearls and things like that. Now, mind you, I was in a complete daze because of the amazingness of the house, so I didnt really look at the prices. After paying, my fiance turns and says to me, " You do realize that you just pent $17.00 on a cookie, right?", me, "...wait...what?!". I went back to look at the prices and sure enough, it was a $17.00 cookie. The really funny part, I dont really even like gingerbread, and like you said, it was dry and flavorless. We laugh about it now, but at the time it wasnt so funny :)

The Christmas decorations at the resorts are fabulous! And that gingerbread house is super impressive! I'm totally reliving my Christmas 2010 trip through reading yours!

That story about the old man who didn't have anyone to spend Christmas with really got to me! I'm glad you and your mom were there to talk to him for a few minutes, I'm sure it brightened up his day!

Oh lawd. $7 for a cookie? I don't even know what Disney is thinking sometimes. That's sooo disappointing that it didn't taste as good as it looked!

Oh my God break my heart with that story about the old man who has no one to spend Christmas with. :( At least you guys could brighten his day a bit.

I love taking some time to admire the Grand Floridian. That, to me, is just as much fun as riding any of the attractions.

I feel the same way! I could wander around that place for hours and not get bored.

Aww! Tinkerbell on the floor! I've never noticed that before.

hahahaha yeah, NO on the whole crowds thing. I can't even... WHY would you do that to yourself. Especially on a day meant for peace and joy. Whew.

I love the Small World theme at the Contemporary, that is so cute!

I LOVED LITE BRITE. I used to do that allllll the time. and that Mickey art is SO AWESOME. I want it in my house so bad.

I love all your pictures of the Grand Floridian! That place is seriously gorgeous! Its such a shame about the gingerbread cookies. I've heard from so many people how bad they are. I made sure not to get any on my last trip. I've heard the ones at the Confectionary are good though...which doesn't make sense, considering they should all be the same.

Wow! MK looks crazy busy. I was in AK on Christmas day before and I found the crowds there pretty manageable. We were able to ride EE 5 or 6 times. We were also able to get a table at the Rainforest Cafe without an ADR.

WHITE CHOCOLATE COVERED OREO??? Jess, what were you thinking?!?!? Hahha... it's cool. Next time. ;)

Omg, break my heart old man. :( I hope Disney cheers him up. Beautiful GF pictures. I'm telling ya, you have an eye for photography!!

I know that MK is the most magical park and all, but I do not understand why people flock to it on the busiest days. After all... they're the BUSIEST DAYS. They would have a much more enjoyable day if they weren't fighting mobs of people the entire time. Ehh, oh well. What can ya do?

Dang, when I was there two weeks earlier all I could find was stinking 2012 merch! I was like, hello all, we're not quite done with 2011 yet. I just wanted a photo album. SIGH. :laughing:

The Contemporary wins, ONCE again. LITE BRITE. I want to play with a Lite Brite right now. OMG. BLT. (How'd that get in there?)

If the cookie was $7, how much were the decked out gingerbread houses? $700? :rotfl:

That rug reminds me of Aladdin. I don't know why, but it just screams "Aladdin and Jasmine's palace" to me.

I love all of the poinsettias outside of the Grand Floridian. They really pop against the white of the buildings.

I don't understand why people would even bother with the Magic Kingdom on Christmas day. It looks like fun for no one. I mean, I understand that some people can only vacation at certain times of the year (that's why I roast myself to a point of near heat exhaustion every summer), but go to Animal Kingdom or something on Christmas. Save yourselves, people!

I'm very sad to say that it didn't taste as good as it looked. ): I was disappointed. It was really dry and I wasn't a fan. The dang cookie was $7, too. I felt really bad for spending money on it, but I didn't know.

Hmm... I'm wondering if you just got a bad batch, or if the Mickey shaped cookies may just taste different. My friend and I have gotten the gingerbread shingle cookies before, and they were delicious! In fact... This is making me crave one now! lol

Wow! MK looks crazy busy. I was in AK on Christmas day before and I found the crowds there pretty manageable. We were able to ride EE 5 or 6 times. We were also able to get a table at the Rainforest Cafe without an ADR.

Oh, Hooray! That is our planned park for Christmas day :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter