• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your ULTIMATE SURVIVAL GUIDE to Disney World at Christmas Time! UPDATE x2 10/21

Well everyone, tomorrow is the big day! I'm moving into college and officially (and finally!) starting that next chapter of my life! I hope it all goes well!

I thought I'd squeeze in one last update tonight. I don't know how busy I am going to get over the next few months, but as far as I can tell, my major is going to be pretty demanding. I will update as often as possible, though, so don't worry!

And also, yesterday (January 14th) marked the one year anniversary of the VERY FIRST Frump trip that ever occurred on this earth! At this time right now, Kristen, Vickie, Me, and My Mom were at the Yacht Club! Kristen and I will be feeling very nostalgic for the next couple days while we remember the fun times we experienced. Ahh that was such a fun time.

And also, I added a new portion to the this trip report! You may notice my "Christmas Tips" being thrown into the updates. So if you haven't already, please catch up with my edit that I added in to this post right near the beginning!
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43638391&postcount=3
That should explain it! If you have any questions, let me know!

Alright I think that's enough rambling for tonight. Here's the update! Enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 3: What's Christmas Without A Little Disney Shopping?
December 6th, 2011

After our delicious lunch, my Mom and I decided to browse through the stores in Downtown Disney. There was a lot of fun merchandise to look at that day!

Our first stop was the Christmas Store, which was the perfect place to visit around this time of year! The first thing I noticed when I walked in...

dsc0064o.jpg

DEER GENIE! How fantastic is that!?

I was very partial to the Toy Story Merchandise in this store. Specifically this beautiful stocking (that Nat would LOVE):

dsc0065ld.jpg

And this Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head Ornament! So precious!

dsc0066dz.jpg

I loved this 7 Dwarves mural that was on the wall. It's such an amazing piece of artwork!

dsc0067gy.jpg

This leads me to my next tip:

Christmas Tip #3: Pay attention to the decorations in the stores in Downtown Disney. Oftentimes they are overlooked because everyone is distracted by the merchandise. But they really are beautiful!

I kept walking through and then saw the best ornaments ever.... DISNEY TRANSPORTATION ORNAMENTS! There's a Bus... and a Monorail... and a Tram... and a Jungle Cruise Boat!!! How awesome is that?!

dsc0069c.jpg

They had the Mickey's Christmas Village Displays all set up. They are also for sale, but they are SUPER expensive. However, one day when I win the lottery, I am going to buy them all so I can have my own Disney Christmas Village. They are SO CUTE!

dsc0070oa.jpg

I saw this Advent Calendar that I LOVED! We almost bought this because our one at home is very old. However, I don't think we ever got around to purchasing it. It's just perfect though, isn't it!?

dsc0071ge.jpg

We made our way completely through the Christmas Store, and then we went over to Tren-D to look around. This has to be one of my top favorite stores in Disney. I don't often buy anything from here (well, I got a few things on my most recent trip!) but I LOVE looking around. It's a disney loving teenage girl's dream store.

The light fixtures in here are so cool. I'm telling you, LOOK AT THE DECORATIONS IN THE STORES!! I noticed so many cool things that day.

dsc0074ep.jpg

I thought this shirt was really cute. Very clever Tiana merchandise.

dsc0075eo.jpg

I LOVED this Little Mermaid shirt. Sadly, I didn't see it when I went back later that month. Good thing I took a picture of it!

dsc0077ee.jpg

We exited Tren-D and made our way over to Guest Relations! We decided that we wanted to get a Tables in Wonderland Card!

Christmas Tip #4: For Annual Passholders and Florida Residents, Tables in Wonderland is a great way to save money on Disney Dining. What the card does is that it takes off 20% of your bill, and then adds back on 18% gratuity. So basically, you're saving the tip. It really adds up and my parents are VERY happy we got it - they like this even better than the dining plan!

The Tables in Wonderland Card cost $75 dollars and it's going to stay good until January 31st, 2013! So that's a good long time!

Our next stop was Ghiradelli's because I WANTED ICE CREAM! Ice Cream is my favorite food and since I didn't have dessert at Wolfgang Puck Express, it was time to load up on some sugar!

We got The Domingo - aka the Banana Hot Fudge Sundae. We split it between the two of us and it was plenty! Ghiradelli Hot Fudge is RIDICULOUSLY phenomenal. Oh my God.

dsc0080mmd.jpg

Once we were filled up with that chocolately goodness, we headed over to The World of Disney.

LOOK WHO IT IS!

img0393sw.jpg

My idol.

Here I go with the decorations again. THEY'RE JUST SO AWESOME! Like... look at this castle. It's basically like the real thing shrunk down and plopped in the middle of the store. So cool.

dsc0082ax.jpg

And this is an even better sight... ALADDIN AND JASMINE!!!!

dsc0083rxs.jpg

So while I was looking around, my Mom got a phone call. She was chatting away, and then all of the sudden I found the best merchandise I have ever seen in my life. Whoever my Mom was talking to on the phone probably thought I was a nut because I was FREAKING OUT and talking a million miles an hour.

LOOK AT THESE SHIRTS!

IT'S THE MONORAIL!!! YOUR HIGHWAY IN THE SKY!!!

dsc0084cq.jpg

And you all know how much I love the PeopleMover!!!! IT'S A PEOPLEMOVER SHIRT!!! PAGING MR. MORROW, MR. TOM MORROW!!!

dsc0085ki.jpg

Seriously the best shirts I have ever seen in my life. They were actually reasonably priced too!

So yes, I bought both of them. And I bought the monorail one for Kristen for her Christmas Present. She screamed when she opened it. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST SHIRT EVER MADE.

At World of Disney, I also bought a Santa Mickey Hat, Mom bought some polka dot socks with hidden mickeys in them, and then I got the promotional christmas castle blanket of the year!

We cashed out and then exited the store. Our next stop was Basin, which my Mom and I never had been to before!

dsc0096m.jpg

THIS STORE IS AWESOME. Oh my gosh, I can't even get over how cool it is! For those of you who have never been in there, Basin is basically a store full of soaps. But really cool ones! Like take a look:

Hidden Mickey Soap:

dsc0090zhf.jpg

Ice Cream and Cake Soap:

dsc0092vq.jpg

Princess Soap (Perfect for me, right?!):

dsc0093ax.jpg

Caffeine Soap (which I really needed that day after getting up so early!):

dsc0094o.jpg

"Not recommended for couch potatoes." LOL

And last but not least... DEER SOAP!!!!

dsc0089nrl.jpg

Those are only a few of them, too. There were SO many cool designs. I loved it!

Then we went over to the hand scrub table, which was SO cool. This stuff seriously worked - my hands felt amazing afterwords!

dsc0095ea.jpg

Christmas Tip #5: Make sure you use the exfoliators at the hand scrub tables at Basin! They work so well and they smell fantastic! Plus, it's a free trial! It's awesome.

We used the Almond kind, which smelled AMAZING. My Mom ended up buying it because she loved it so much. As well as the almond scented lotion. It had a unique kind of Almond smell to it.. it's hard to describe. It was sweet. I loved it.

dsc00902c.jpg

While we were standing around the hand scrub table, my Mom struck up a conversation with this old woman who was from Minnesota. My Mom asked her if she knew about the Mayo Clinic. The old lady did, and she had only good things to say about it!

My Mom asked about the Mayo Clinic because during my sophomore year of high school, my Mom was actually diagnosed with Breast Cancer. The doctors were going to perform a very serious surgery on her, but my Dad insisted on her going to get a second opinion. He had heard of how amazing the Mayo Clinic is, so my parents took a trip there. My Mom was given the amazing news that she did in fact not have cancer, but a different non-cancerous condition that was treatable! My parents swear by the Mayo Clinic and ALWAYS recommend that people go there if they are diagnosed with cancer to get that second opinion. It is absolutely an amazing place and truly turned my Mom's life around.

So my Mom told this old lady her story and the lady was so touched. She was so happy that it all worked out for her. I do know that this lady told us a story about people she knew who went there as well, but unfortunately I forgot to write it down. However, I know it was about how the Mayo Clinic helped out people she knew. It's such a great place - my family is so thankful for it!

So after chatting for quite a while, we parted ways. My Mom made her purchases and we were on our way to our hotel!

Continued in Next Post

I did the salt scrub too! AH-MAZ-ING!!! Basin is super cool!! When my best friend and I went to Tren-D she got this gorgeous scarf that's pink and has darker pink outlines of hidden mickeys on it! It's so soft and I want to steal it everytime she wears it :laughing:

Totally off topic question, but we're going in May and want to try more restaurants at the resorts. What would a couple of your top picks be for resort dinner dining?? THANKS!!!!

Oh man... DEER AND SANTA GENIE!! I love it!

I agree so much about the store decorations/displays... especially at Animal Kingdom, so much of that stuff looks like priceless art and they just use it to hold up t-shirts!

OMG THOSE SHIRTS. WHEN are they going to bring back the old PeopleMover spiel? The new one is nothing compared to the old one!

Basin is one of my favorite places at WDW but I've only been to the Grand Floridian location! I've heard the DTD one is even better.

WOW that is an UNBELIEVABLE story about your mom and the Mayo Clinic! She sure had an angel on her shoulder. I wonder how many misdiagnoses occur every day, it's so terrible. I'm so happy your mom is ok :hug:

I totally agree, the shop decorations are amazing!

Love all the shirts that you saw at Tren-D and of course the monorail and Peoplemover shirts. :thumbsup2

Basin:love:

What a wonderful story about your Mom and the Mayo Clinic. :goodvibes

We got that advent calendar the last time we went. I did too much damage in their christmas store.

Great update! I am anxious to spend a day at DTD... I am sure my girls will love Tren-D, and maybe (gasp) they might actually buy something Disney???

We'll have to try the hand soaps and the Ghiradelli sundae - need to add that one to my spreadsheet, it looks delicious!

D~

What a great day at DTD! We love to have that first half day there. I suggest to everyone that they have to wander it, there is so much to see!

Kadence got that exact Miss Piggy for Christmas! The Disney store was having a sale, 2 plushes for 28 so we got her Miss Piggy and of course Kermit!

The Mayo clinic is a few hours drive from here, and I personally know 3 families who have been treated there. There is a kind a awe the that place, you know you're going to be taken care of there!

Oh, wow, Jess- how scary about your mom's cancer scare.

I live in MN, and one of my friends from high school actually was diagnosed with leukemia while pregnant, and the Mayo clinic saved her and the baby's life. My friend is now an oncologist nurse.

DTD is absolutely beautiful at Christmas. I can't wait to take my children there someday.

I just wanted to post and say how much I love all your trip reports! I don't post much due to loads of uni work and a full time job:sad2: but over christmas I sat and read all of your trip reports, it was sooooo much fun! :thumbsup2

I wish i could get to WDW as often but living in the UK airfare is a killer and student/business trainee money is poor!

I love the deer face, all your cute disney clothes and how much fun you guys have. I think you look sooo much like jasmine....is that who you auditioned for? I would love to be Belle! In fact id take any job there!

Good luck in college! You'll do great! :goodvibes

Wow, what wonderful news for your mom and your family. Amazing. :)

Love love love the shopping update! But wait! Hold the phone. Stop the presses....A MR. TOM MORROW SHIRT!? WHAT??? How was I not aware of this!? I was at Disney in December! 7-11, and did not see it! AHH! Wow! I so hope they are there in May! I want one!!!! Thanks for sharing those; they are amazing. I need both of them!!! Do you remember what section of the store they were in??

Love the ice cream; yum yum! I always get the peanut butter one but might have to try to get a different one haha. We'll see. Tren-D is a fun store! Never bought anything there but always enjoy looking around.

Good luck in school! :) Can't wait for more updates!

Yes I did! Probably because I didn't tell a soul. :laughing: Don't worry. And aww that's so fun! I hope you had a magical trip! :wizard:

Ok I was wondering how I missed the fact you were going then when I was reading your other trip report! :goodvibes

Luvin the new update btw. Basin is totally cool. I didn't see the monorail and peoplemover t-shirts though.

Ah!! The Ariel shirt!! I tried it on, but it was one of those "baggy styled" shirts that just didn't fit quite right & gave me the pregnant look (which a lot of them do, due to me having a bigger chest :sad1: ) Haha! I did manage to find a kermit one and another ariel one in TrenD for myself though! I had a new love to that store on my past trip!
Excited for more!

Hey there Jess. I just got finished reading your previous thread and since I am completely outside of your demographic (other than being a hardcore lover of Disney), I kind of felt like I was stalking!

Anyway, here I am to stalk some more your Christmas Trip Report. In many ways, I think my daughter is going to be like you where it comes to Disney when she is your age in about a decade or so. She is already telling me that she wants to work as Belle in the parks (mainly because she looks a great deal like her). I would be such a proud Father if that ever came to pass.

I'm planning on beginning my own pre trip report in March for our June trip to WDW this year. I am going to use some of your format on mine if you don't mind. It is just so easy to read and fun. I even asked my wife today all the questions you seem to put your friends through. Stuff like "Who's your favorite Disney character, movie, song....etc". It was a lot a fun to find out what she said. I'm subscribing and look forward to upcoming "chapters"!

The decorations are very cute. Love the Santa Genie.

There is just too much great merch at all these stores. It is so hard for me to make decisions :confused3 on what to get. I think you made some fantastic choices. Love :lovestruc the Monorail and Peoplemover shirts.

Sorry to hear your mother had to go through that but I am very glad she got such great news and that your dad insisted on a second opinion.

Loving the tips. :thumbsup2

I'm here! Finally! So excited read your Christmas report and so excited that you got to go twice :) too cool! That scrub looks amazing, it's definitely going on my to do list when I head out there in September! :) good luck with your new college, I can definintely see you being a drama student!:)

OMG I love the Basin!!!! :love: That store is amazing!!! It smells soooo good in there!

Oh and I agree, the decorations in the shops are beautiful!! That's the best part of going shopping in DTD! I love Tren-D too! It's such a cool little store!

OMG Ghiradelli's!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: That is all I have to say! :laughing: Soooo good!!

Good luck to you in your new college! I hope all goes well for you and that you truly enjoy it! :goodvibes

I've read a your previous reports, so I guess you can count me in on this one too! They are always enjoyable!

I saw this Advent Calendar that I LOVED! We almost bought this because our one at home is very old. However, I don't think we ever got around to purchasing it. It's just perfect though, isn't it!?

dsc0071ge.jpg

I actually have this! It was a suprise present my parents sent up for my family after I helped them plan a Christmas weekend at Disney! We loved it!

YAYYYYYYY
I'm so excited for this TR! I can't wait to see pics of all the Christmas decorations!

I'm trying to do the CP too! I'm applying for fall :) If I don't get in I think I will seriously be crushed. It will be the death of me, lol. I recently went through that college-change thing too. I discovered what I was majoring in probably wasn't for me and now I'm changing to something new. It somewhat sucks since I've already taken numerous classes towards my old one, but oh well. I think I will be much happier :)

And I need that Miss Piggy and those monorail & people mover shirts :eek: Jealous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter