your topsaving tips

DADAD

Mouseketeer
i know this question has been porbabley been asked before but as we go in 2 weeks :banana::banana:the might be some new ones that people have come across
what are your top tips for saving a dollar or two while you are there :teacher:

My top tip?

When you arrrive, get off the plane, grab your wallet and throw it on the tarmac and get back on the plane. You will save a fortune :)

When tipping, remember to remove the tax before working out the tip. The amount of people that work out 15% - 20% of the entire bill never ceases to amaze.

Last time we bought various cereal already in a bowl from Walgreens, bought milk and had them for breakfast. Saved a fortune.

Don't buy holiday clothes here, wait till you get to Orlando and hit the outlets, saved me a fortune over the years.

Buy yourself as many pairs of jeans that you can afford and get away with, half the price there compared to here.

Try to buy everything you can offsite at a Walmart or Publix - suncreen, batteries, bottled water, ponchos ... ...

I know this and every year there is something I end up over paying for.

Coupon books you can get at offsite hotel lobbies or restaurants will have lots of useable discounts.

Look at anywhere you might visit online before you go - you may be able to register for a discount or print off a voucher.

Eat your main meal out of the parks.

But have a great time!! Memories are priceless.

Buy bottled water outside of the parks and refill them during park days at the water fountains. Saves money on drinks in the parks:thumbsup2

In Disney you can ask for a cup of ice water at any location that sell fountain soda - and its free!

We take bottled water in and then just get cups of water to refill it as it colder than the fountains.

If you're on the dining plan, of any form, ask for a large drink with your CS - its included but theyll automatically give you a medium :thumbsup2

When shopping in DTD, if I see something I think I'd like - I leave it and come back to it later....if I still want it. Many a $ has been saved that way! :goodvibes

My ultimate money-saving tip is to use the local bus system. Last time, for two adults, we spent less than $40 on transport for a 10-day stay. Parking alone would have been almost $100.

Don't buy the soft drinks. It's like $3 for a coke. Buy water bottles outside the park and fill them up at the water fountains. Even if you assume you'd only buy 1 person 1 drink each day, you'd save $84 a week for a family of four.

Don't buy souveniers that you won't use or won't look suitable in your home. I've done Florida ten times and only have two souveniers besides clothing - one ornament which I've kept as a memory of trips when I was a teen and one set of fridge magnets. That's enough to remind us of how awesome it was.

Be realistic about how much you want and need to eat. Personally we eat no breakfast (or have a cereal bar in the hotel), go ride the rides, have a nice lunch (slice of pizza or slice of cake - hey it's vacation :laughing:) and then eat dinner. The portions in Orlando are HUGE.

Don't eat in Disney if you can avoid it. You can get something equally as nice outside of the parks for half or two-thirds of the price.

get grocerys delivered, yes, you pay delivery charges but you save a fortune on "can i haves in spermarkets"
water, buy bottled from walgreens (squezer breezers too) buy water flavour sachets if kids arent keen on water
buy refillable mugs if staying onsite;)
ask for doggy bags, unless its a buffet they will box to go what you cant eat (many a bfast on ddp was left over cheesecake:rotfl:, and i know im not the only one)
give kids a budget, mine had $100 for 3 weeks, just for souvenirs, not food, saved alot of arguments:thumbsup2
buy kids meals, they arebig enough for an adult imho
take snacks drief fruit etc into parks
dont buy coffee at wdw, its disgusting!!
drink in room, not in bar:rotfl:
coupons, coupons coupons!!!
ok, i think i have just proved im cheap... we paid $80 for 4 burgers/chips/drinks in US- the next day i stopped at subway...5 sandwiches/drinks/cookies cost less than $20..:rolleyes1

buy what you need clothes wise, we went expecting to bring loads back, but the kids werent bothered, we brought shoes inc converse boots at $20 per pair, we we didnt buy the massive amount we had on previous trips....

enjoy your hols, however much you spend!!

ps if on a budget dont play crazy golf, we were amazed how expensive it was for 25mins play....

My top tip?

When you arrrive, get off the plane, grab your wallet and throw it on the tarmac and get back on the plane. You will save a fortune :)

:rotfl:
or leave the kids at home, that saves alot too:thumbsup2

Log onto websites for restaurants, outlets & malls. You can get loads of coupons and booklets that way and find out about sales and special offers :)

I also like to take a drink in - I will freeze 1 of the bottles to keep it cool. We always get hungry early on - so I take a pack of fresh fruit (from Publix or the like) to eat mid morning.

Are you staying on or off site?

Along the lines of eating, some tips I have seen include:

- If you order a sandwich, get one between two and just order an additional portion of fries - even in the parks the sandwiches/wraps are usually big enough for two, especially at lunch time. Or buy a double burger between two with two lots of fries and have a burger and half a bun each.

- If having a character breakfast meal, book as late as possible (around 10:30-11:00). This will mean that you can get away with missing lunch and having an early dinner, saving you the cost of one meal in the day.

- As noted above, get to Walmart/Goodings etc and stock up with breakfast items for a cheap start to the day.

- Again as noted above, if you have days where you will be having an early(ish) finish in the theme parks, eat outside the parks if you can wait.

- If you have booked any Table Service meals, ask your server for a drink to take out with you when you are leaving. We've never had a refusal.

- Alcoholic drinks can definitely take a large chunk out of your budget if you buy them in restaurants - limit them, or buy from Walmart etc and chill out back at your accommodation.

Enjoy.

Bobbles Water Bottles!!!

These are self filtering bottles - top up with tap water and it filters as you drink. Mine has saved me a fortune over the last year. Previously I spent about a £1 a day on bottled water and invested in one of these (9.99) about 6 months ago and have already saved over £100. a few of my mates took them with them on previous trips to the world and topped up as they went.

Not only am I saving for my next trip - £100 in the bank for spends already - but itll also save me wasting snack credits on drinks in the park!!

Hope this helps

Jim :thumbsup2

If you travel regularly to Florida you may want to invest in Owners Locker. Particularly if you fly with Vitgi as the luggae alowance has been cut. We are just back and I tell you the owners locker was our hero - and it means that most of holiday items are already there for next time - no need to cart them back and forth over the Atlantic!

My hubby and I always share our breakfast quick service and lunch quick service when on the dining plan. :hug: It is plenty of food for us and then we are hungry for our table service meal each evening. We sometimes get a snack during the day, but usually have snack credits left at the end of the trip and take a few goodies for the plane. :thumbsup2 The advise to refill the water bottles is spot on. It saves a ton, especially if you are there during the extreme heat! Have a wonderful trip!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter