• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your thoughts - paying it forward ideas!

duckyfordonald

<font color=blue>OK - I'm ready for some more fun!
Our family was just given a $150 Disney reward card for our trip (we leave in 3 days!!!!!) from another family that is unable to use it before it expires. We feel very blessed by their generosity and would like to use the card (or cash equivalent) to pay it forward to others. Our family has been discussing ideas of how we could use best use it in true Disney spirit and can't seem to come up with any great ideas. (We already purchase lots of glow sticks to hand out to kids during the nightime parade/fireworks.) Looking for additional ideas and suggestions!

One idea I though of was making 30 thank you envelopes, each containing $5 cash, to hand out to cast members along with a personal note of appreciation. But now I am wondering are cast members allowed to accept cash? We certainly wouldn't want to put anyone in a difficult situation.

Your ideas would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to hear what you creative DISers come up with!!!

We are actually taking a bunch of $5 Starbucks gift cards to give out to CM's - not a huge amount but enough for them to buy themselves or coffee/tea before or after their busy day :)

How lovely! I would be thinking along the lines of buying pins or snacks or something like that to give out to kids although I love your idea of giving something to the CM's

You are wonderful! I can't wait to hear how the CMs react.

Another simple way to really make someone's day is to get a fast pass to a popular ride. (make sure the come back time is late in the afternoon - since they now look at the time).
In mid-afternoon find a group matching your group size just walking in the park - you will make their day. We have done this several times and there is no better reaction than that. They are walking in resigned to the fact that they will be waiting in long lines & you just saved them an hour or two.

It is a great sentiment and a lovely way to show CMs that they are a valued part of Disney.
However most CMs will refuse this gift as they are not supposed to accept cash gifts unless there are in a post that accepts gratuities :)

If they take it thinking its just a note as soon as they open it they will turn it over. I know my daughter found cash once and said she couldn't get it out of her hands fast enough...cash makes the CMs nervous.

LiZ

We have been involved in a few pay it forwards....

My daughter and I were coming out of TSM and saw my husband chatting with a CM. Well he loves to chat and people always take a liking to him so the CM was very gracious and gave us fast passes to return to the ride. The thing is we get a GAC for our kids with Autism. We didn't have the hear to tell the CM as it was so generous so we decided to pay it forward and gave them to another family in the area.

We also had such a wonderful experience with Prince Naveen that my daughter bought him a Tiana pin on her own and he was able to accept it....

But the more special one was when we were the recipient of a pay it forward....we met a family on the bus who was doing HS for the first time in order to have their son do JTA. This was our second morning, so we told them to stick with us and we would show them exactly where to go. Their son ended up getting into the same group as mine and the two stuck together. After it was all done, the mom came up to us and handed us a wrapped box thanking us for helping make their son's dream come true....it was so amazing to feel like we helped someone experience Disney magic. IT turned out to be a beautiful picture frame....

So as you can see I love "pay it forward"s you truly can make someone's day!

I love to pay it forward at Disney and have done these ideas in the past.

1. Bought $10 Publix Grocery gift cards and put in thank you notes for cast members (this way they can either get groceries or a 6 pack of beer or whatever makes them happy) and since it is not cash, they can usually accept it.

2. Saw 2 children on a bus from MK to POR who willingly gave up their seats for a pregnant woman and her 2 toddlers and husband. They had been admiring my LED Glow necklace from the MK parade so my friend and I gave our necklaces to these very sweet children. They were so thrilled to have the necklaces.

3. Gave fastpasses to Toy Story Mania that we couldn't use.

4. Used left over dining credits when we did deluxe dining one year to buy lunch for complete strangers.

Thanks for all of the great ideas so far - keep 'em coming!!!!
Love hearing of others paying it forward too - it's the
Disney way! :goodvibes

We also thought about handing out snacks to kids, but were concerned about people's reaction to taking food from "strangers". Scratched that idea off the list.

Another idea we tossed around was paying for someone's meal or snacks, but it will be "Free Dining" while we are there, and more difficult to know who is using the plan or not. Also scratched from the list.

Gift cards for CM's may be the way to go!
Still looking for more ideas, though! :thumbsup2

What about buying a few small stuffed animals to hand out to sad/crying children? It may help change the family's whole day by cheering up a sad kid.

I like the idea of getting a sack of pins to hand out. You can give them to CMs or kids or whomever, even if they don't collect they can always pass them on to someone else spreading the random kindness further.

How about surprising a crying little boy or girl with a balloon? I know their parents would appreciate it! :thumbsup2

This might be outside of your comfort zone as it's kind of presumptuous, but we hear so much complaining on the boards about people losing patience with their kids and just being crabby and mean. How about watching for that mom or dad who is obviously stretched soooo thin and manages to keep their cool, or whose kids are sweet and polite? I love complimenting other parents on their kids' good behavior -- it always seems to make their day when someone notices. I think a little token (pin, $5 gift card, whatever) with a "Good job, Mom!" or "Your kids are awesome," might really make a parent feel good. (It also might make them feel weirdly observed and judged, so maybe you'd rather stick to pixie dust for CM's.)

This might be outside of your comfort zone as it's kind of presumptuous, but we hear so much complaining on the boards about people losing patience with their kids and just being crabby and mean. How about watching for that mom or dad who is obviously stretched soooo thin and manages to keep their cool, or whose kids are sweet and polite? I love complimenting other parents on their kids' good behavior -- it always seems to make their day when someone notices. I think a little token (pin, $5 gift card, whatever) with a "Good job, Mom!" or "Your kids are awesome," might really make a parent feel good. (It also might make them feel weirdly observed and judged, so maybe you'd rather stick to pixie dust for CM's.)

This. One of the nicest thing anyone in the park has ever done for me was give me kudos on my partenting. Both times were during SWW in the special merchandise tent when DS was 4. He sat patiently in his stroller for over half an hour waiting to get in the guy in line behind us was amazed at his behaviour and even gave DS a pin for being such a good kid (he still has it). The other was in the store DS picked up a SW gun and said I want this. I said oh that's neat lets put it back and don't forget we have 6 more days to decide what you want and if that's what you want we will come back. Another parent saw it and came over to tell me they were amazed a child that young didn't throw a fit over being told no and that I was doing a great job. I can still remember what those people look like and am ever grateful to them for thier recognition.

I try to pass that along whenever I can. I know being a parent is hard but sometimes we just need a little encouragement that we are doing it right.

As Cyrano said some CM's can't accept cash or gifts. With most large corporations its policy. The best kudos you can give a cast member is stop by guest services and tell them how great your experience was with that particular cast member.

I like the idea of buying someone's lunch or dinner or snacks, etc. I say this because I would pee my pants if someone did that for us. We are traveling on a major,super tight budget and I'm sure there are many others that do the same but still want the experience.

If you happen to see a child that is with Make A Wish or Dreams Take Flight
while you are at the park, perhaps you can give them a small gift.
I'm sure they would love it.

This gets my vote:thumbsup2 I've been that parent that's been pushed to my limits (by my Asperger's Son) at times. It sure would make my day to be on the recieving end of "good job Mom" as opposed to "she can't control her kid"!

I also like the fast pass idea, I've been on both sides of that pay it forward, feels good on either side;)
Laurie

Thanks to all for the wonderful ideas! :goodvibes Because we are leaving on Friday, we don't have too much time to get really creative. We have decided to get a handful of gift cards to hand out to CMs and "frazzled" parents (probably Starbucks?). The boys are busy creating handmade envelopes (with character drawings) to hold the gift cards. We will keep the remaining cash on hand for any situations we come across where we can spread some Disney magic for others. We will just have to keep our eyes and ears open! We are SO looking forward to this opportunity and hope it will be a great "life lesson" for DS13 and DS7. Will try to report back with our pay it forward experiences!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter