• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your thoughts on kids missing school to go to Disney

As a Canadian, living in an area where "truancy" charges are never laid except in conjunction with other allegations of neglect or abuse (confirmed by a friend who is a lawyer in family law here), I find this amount of state control over families who choose to make use of public schools (and possibly also private schools?) to be fascinating.

When my son was in kindergarten, he found school very stressful. So, with his teacher's blessing, I only sent him two or three days a week. There were other children who would spend half the year abroad, returning after months of absence. A family friend had a son with an anxiety disorder, who never attended full time until high school. No special exceptions needed, they just sent him as often as they could. And, of course, we took days off whenever we wanted, whether for family trips or doctor's appointments or illness. We never had to do anything other than call the school and let them know how long our children would be absent (and the only reason we had to do that, was because otherwise they'd be calling us).

I'd never heard of "truancy sweeps"!

Here's the law in California. http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ai/tr/
And here is a news story on a sweep from 2008.

I don't understand people who pooh-pooh the expense of going at peak times, though, or don't have sympathy for people who can't get time off during those times. Our family is in the latter category, but what about a middle-class family who desperately wants to go on a Disney cruise but simply can't afford to do it over Christmas? The prices during the holiday season are astronomical. By the time you book airfare and transfers and everything else, you're easily looking at $10K or more and that's just not feasible for many folks, but they could cruise for half that in the off-season. I can't subscribe to the idea that Disney is for rich people and that middle class families have no business going if they have to take their kids out of school to make it happen.
Or, if price is a factor, how about skipping a year? Prices aren't double from low to high season. That would be a way to afford it.

I see what you're saying, but I guess I don't necessarily agree. For one thing, summer IS super-expensive. Check out DCL fares to Alaska, they'll make you blanch. Resorts at WDL and WDW are through the roof in the summer, too. And driving isn't a viable option if you live in Colorado and you need to get to Orlando. You don't have to be a "struggling" family to find it all very cost-prohibitive, but maybe you CAN afford a yearly Dis vacation if you go in September. Who am I to judge Disney-loving families who make it work in whatever way they can?
DCL fares make me blanch every time I look at them when I compare them to other cruise lines. And please don't tell me a WDW vacation is a NEED. As PP said, someone from Colorado can drive to DL if they so desire.

But again, as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences (which include being "judged"), go ahead and take your vacation during the school year.

There would be an uproar if parents were arrested for travel inside school term in Australia :rotfl2:

Thankfully our school is modern in thinking and accepts that education is not necessary only available in a classroom of 25 students with a single teacher. They are very lenient in allowing travel time, not so allowing for 'just days off willy nilly'. We do however follow procedure, which includes a letter stating the kids will be out from date x to date x. I recently had an informal chat with the assistant principal about our upcoming trip - they will miss 2 maybe 3 weeks of school, at least two weeks are a write off as they are winding down for the year and it is usually activities. So long as my year 7 kid gets all his work in for final reports - about the second week of December, we are good to go. I think NSW have brought in some silly rules about missing school (including not being able to miss school for a funeral!) but I'm not up to speed with that state.

I must also add that our trips are not solely theme park related.

There would be an uproar if parents were arrested for travel inside school term in Australia :rotfl2:

Thankfully our school is modern in thinking and accepts that education is not necessary only available in a classroom of 25 students with a single teacher. They are very lenient in allowing travel time, not so allowing for 'just days off willy nilly'. We do however follow procedure, which includes a letter stating the kids will be out from date x to date x. I recently had an informal chat with the assistant principal about our upcoming trip - they will miss 2 maybe 3 weeks of school, at least two weeks are a write off as they are winding down for the year and it is usually activities. So long as my year 7 kid gets all his work in for final reports - about the second week of December, we are good to go. I think NSW have brought in some silly rules about missing school (including not being able to miss school for a funeral!) but I'm not up to speed with that state.

Get ready for the uproar, it's coming.
http://theconversation.com/education-department-no-term-time-holidays-for-students-38230

This is exactly why people get offended. This implies that people or schools who think that children need to be in school are old fashioned and backwards. It would be absolutely the same as if someone said, "I don't take my kids out of school because I care about them getting an education."

by pulling the kids out and going off season, we can afford more vacations. I have no shame!
we live in NY and will never consider driving to Florida. We also love to go to Mexico and won't be driving there either!
I honestly don't see what the big deal is about missing a few days of school. In the early grades, it had no impact what so ever. Now in HS I do check with the kids first.
It is quite popular around here to do so and I've never gotten any flack for doing so.

Isn't the end of August/beginning of September considered "off season" at WDW? And don't your school's start later?

We're just as far from Orlando as you & we drive. We also have never paid more than $586 for 8 nights in the dead of Summer (off-site, but less than 10 minutes door to door to the parks). And tickets cost the same no matter when you go.

Hey, do what you wish, and if your school is cool with it, it's really not my concern. But the question was about feeling some sympathy for people who just absolutely can't afford to go if not for pulling kids out of school. Be honest, that's not you is it? :)

But the school is modern in thinking. It also accepts that not all kids are academically minded and has alternatives in place for those students.

This is exactly why people get offended. This implies that people or schools who think that children need to be in school are old fashioned and backwards. It would be absolutely the same as if someone said, "I don't take my kids out of school because I care about them getting an education."

But the school is modern in thinking. It also accepts that not all kids are academically minded and has alternatives in place for those students.

So you are saying that my kids don't go to "modern thinking" schools because vacations are not excused absences? Maybe my kids school are backward and they aren't getting a good education?

Again, this is why this becomes a heated topic. Because people of both opinions can't accept that different things work for different people.

FTR, all schools offer alternatives for kids who aren't "academically minded."

Isn't the end of August/beginning of September considered "off season" at WDW? And don't your school's start later?

We're just as far from Orlando as you & we drive. We also have never paid more than $586 for 8 nights in the dead ateof Summer (off-site, but less than 10 minutes door to door to the parks). And tickets cost the same no matter when you go.

Hey, do what you wish, and if your school is cool with it, it's really not my concern. But the question was about feeling some sympathy for people who just absolutely can't afford to go if not for pulling kids out of school. Be honest, that's not you is it? :)

yes we have gone the end of August. But, you have to realize that airfare from here isn't always cheap at that time knowing that people still travel.

I could "afford" to go at other times, but then it may cut into my travel budget. I'd rather go on more vacations off season than 1 on season. Plus crowds can be issue.

While our schools may get state aid by attendance, our budgets must be passed by the community. Being the average taxes are $10k to $20k per year with most of that going to the schools, they do listen to the community. like I said a few days here or there wouldn't break most students. I really don't see the big deal.

I would never consider driving to Florida....way too far. I much rather go for 5 or 7 nights than spend the time driving. not an option

Last edited:
So you are saying that my kids don't go to "modern thinking" schools because vacations are not excused absences? Maybe my kids school are backward and they aren't getting a good education?

Again, this is why this becomes a heated topic. Because people of both opinions can't accept that different things work for different people.

FTR, all schools offer alternatives for kids who aren't "academically minded."

You are not serious right? Exactly where did I say anything about your kids?
If you want to add words into my mouth or get offended when there was no such intent then maybe you should have just scrolled right on?

And again, yes the school is modern in thinking. It is not like the schools I went to back in the 70s and 80s where we were required to sit there and rote learn from a book or blackboard.

Time to untwist the knickers.

yes we have gone the end of August. But, you have to realize that airfare from here isn't always cheap at that time knowing that people still travel.

I could "afford" to go at other times, but then it may cut into my travel budget. I'd rather go on more vacations off season than 1 on season. Plus crowds can be issue.

While our schools may get state aid by attendance, our budgets must be passed by the community. Being the average taxes are $10k to $20k per year with most of that going to the schools, they do listen to the community. like I said a few days here or there wouldn't break most students. I really don't see the big deal.

Districts with high local taxes here generally don't get much state funding (in some cases, zero). Those districts are typically more liberal with attendance policies, but not always.

You are not serious right? Exactly where did I say anything about your kids?
If you want to add words into my mouth or get offended when there was no such intent then maybe you should have just scrolled right on?

And again, yes the school is modern in thinking. It is not like the schools I went to back in the 70s and 80s where we were required to sit there and rote learn from a book or blackboard.

Time to untwist the knickers.

You are not comprehending what I am saying. I am saying that people get so heated on this topic because of the way people word things instead of just accepting that things differ from school to school and family to family.

Your original statement was that your schools are modern because they allow for excused vacation time. That statement could very well be interpreted that schools that do not allow for it are old fashioned or backwards. Or that children who do all of their learning in a classroom are being shortchanged on an education.

Differences in educational philosophies do not mean that one choice is better or that one is more modern or better or progressive, it just means that 2 different people or entities use different routes to get to the same point.

I, too, went to school in the 70s, in what, at the time, was considered a very "progressive" school that was considered the ultimate in "modern" education. They instituted an open classroom quasi-Montessori type environment where education was done in small groups and was student driven and teachers were facilitators, not instructors. We never had attendance policies until I got into high school. (and our attendance policy was stricter in the 80's than my kids' is today) What was considered "modern" at the time is now considered outdated, at least here. "Modern" is just a term to indicate change and can vary, depending on perspective. To me, having an attendance policy that allows for that much missed time isn't modern, but old fashioned, because that is what I know from the past.

Out of interest the absenteeism policy for my kids school, paraphrased.

Unlimited excused absences. Excused includes illnesses/injuries/appointments with doctor's notes. College visits, documented deaths in the family. Documented court appearances.

15 "allowable" absences. Any absence with a parent's note and not official (ie: Doctor's court's) documentation.

10 unexcused absences. An absence without an excuse from either parent or official.

Any absence of 3 consecutive days or more requires official documentation, or it is considered unexcused.

3 tardies equal 1 absence.

My high school attendance policy:

Unlimited excused absences (with "official" documentation)

10 absences of any other type. If you missed more than 10 days, and your grades were passing you went to summer make up sessions to make up the days before you were promoted to the next grade or graduated.

You are not comprehending what I am saying. I am saying that people get so heated on this topic because of the way people word things instead of just accepting that things differ from school to school and family to family.

Your original statement was that your schools are modern because they allow for excused vacation time. That statement could very well be interpreted that schools that do not allow for it are old fashioned or backwards. Or that children who do all of their learning in a classroom are being shortchanged on an education.

Differences in educational philosophies do not mean that one choice is better or that one is more modern or better or progressive, it just means that 2 different people or entities use different routes to get to the same point.

I, too, went to school in the 70s, in what, at the time, was considered a very "progressive" school that was considered the ultimate in "modern" education. They instituted an open classroom quasi-Montessori type environment where education was done in small groups and was student driven and teachers were facilitators, not instructors. We never had attendance policies until I got into high school. (and our attendance policy was stricter in the 80's than my kids' is today) What was considered "modern" at the time is now considered outdated, at least here. "Modern" is just a term to indicate change and can vary, depending on perspective. To me, having an attendance policy that allows for that much missed time isn't modern, but old fashioned, because that is what I know from the past.

Out of interest the absenteeism policy for my kids school, paraphrased.

Unlimited excused absences. Excused includes illnesses/injuries/appointments with doctor's notes. College visits, documented deaths in the family. Documented court appearances.

15 "allowable" absences. Any absence with a parent's note and not official (ie: Doctor's court's) documentation.

10 unexcused absences. An absence without an excuse from either parent or official.

Any absence of 3 consecutive days or more requires official documentation, or it is considered unexcused.

3 tardies equal 1 absence.

My high school attendance policy:

Unlimited excused absences (with "official" documentation)

10 absences of any other type. If you missed more than 10 days, and your grades were passing you went to summer make up sessions to make up the days before you were promoted to the next grade or graduated.

My comprehension is just fine thanks. You are arguing over your interpretation of my post which in my opinion is arguing about nothing which is far too intense for a Friday afternoon. Feel free to continue to argue with yourself :D

My comprehension is just fine thanks. You are arguing over your interpretation of my post which in my opinion is arguing about nothing which is far too intense for a Friday afternoon. Feel free to continue to argue with yourself :D

No. You really don't get it, but that's okay.

Happy Friday. Because, here it's Thursday and freezing.

I had never even thought of this as an issue. I don't think our school system has that restriction. One of my kids classmates went for a week this past October and no issues were mentioned. But definitely something to look into.

I would have no problem with my kids bringing some work with them to do on the plane or during some down time, so we would definitely coordinate with the teachers beforehand. I really don't see this happening once they hit Jr high.

And as for them not wanting to miss school -- I'll have to ask them about that tonight but I doubt they would pick school over Disney - ha ha!!

I agree, I have two children, 6&3 my little girl is in kindergarten and in October 2015 we took a trip to DW during the "not so scary Halloween party" weeks, she is enrolled in a catholic institution and asked both her teacher and principal before us planning the trip to get it ok'd and if she could take her weeks homework with her on our trip. They agreed and it wouldn't count against her.

My wife and I enjoy driving to Florida so we drove and at our hotel stops we made it clear that she has to do an hour worth of homework, which she did. After we were done with a day at the parks and sacking it up for the night she would ask to do some homework before she went to bed. We highly value education as both my wife and I have post secondary degrees and work in the medical profession, so our children understand the value of an education and if they keep solid in their studies I would have no problem taking them out of school for a week or so to decompress and let loose. Obviously when they reach middle school and then high school we will not be taking them out and choose to go on breaks and summer vacations.

It is solely on how the child is academically and how much impact it would make on them emotionally, socially, and their driven attitude. Only us as parents can justify taking our children out of school for family vacations.

I would have no problem with my kids bringing some work with them to do on the plane or during some down time, so we would definitely coordinate with the teachers beforehand. I really don't see this happening once they hit Jr high.
Having read the entire thread and seen several posts from teachers not able (or not willing) to use their own unpaid family time for students out on vacation made me curious: how many parents would be willing to pay teachers for makeup or catch-up work?

If someone interpreting (not arguing over) a post is arguing about nothing, then the post they're interpreting has to be about nothing. Something I never see listed in the, "well they learn more on vacation..." threads is Language Arts.

I have mixed feeling about this. Being a teacher myself I don't like when a student of mine misses several days in a row because the workload on both the student and myself becomes difficult once they return. Now as for going to Disney I do feel there are many learning opportunities to children especially in Epcot. I am a High School History teacher and The World Showcase could provide students with many learning opportunities if they explore the correct avenues. So I think if the parents monitor their child correctly while at WDW they could receive many educational opportunities that even may not be taught in the classroom.

As a fellow Aussie, I concur. It wouldn't even occur to me or anyone else I know, to be worried what the school thought if my kids were to miss just a few days of school for travel. I'm very strict on making sure my kids attend every day they're supposed too, but when it comes to multi week overseas holidays, the final decision rests with DH and me. The school has no say.

Most of our overseas trips are about 5 - 5/12 weeks in length. Where possible, I try and incorporate the 2 week school holidays (plus the student free day on the first Monday back). But if it doesn't work out that way, then that's just the way it is.

The schools have never had a problem with it. Sometimes the teachers offer up work; sometimes they don't. Either way, it has never made a difference to my kids' overall school careers. My older child returned from a 5 1/2 week trip to the US in grade 12 and was awarded the top honours in his specialised engineering programme that night at the school awards evening. That trip included 2 weeks at WDW and 2 weeks at DLR. Educational? Who knows. Who cares. He has/we have great memories of that time, the school was fine with his absence, he's doing extremely well post high school, and wonders of wonders, the world didn't end because he missed a few weeks of school. (When I told the main teacher that DS was going to be away, he said he was glad as it'd give the other students a chance to catch up with DS. I thought he was joking. Turns out he wasn't).

Our last trip (to UK/Europe/Japan) included stays at Disneyland Paris and Disneyland Tokyo. DS learnt more about the Japanese culture in the week we spent in Japan than he ever did in the 2 years of classroom learning. Seeing the historical sites he studied in history during our stay in the UK enhanced his lessons. His history teacher was beyond thrilled that DS could see some of the curriculum subjects for himself.

I doubt I'd take my my kids out of school for an Australian domestic holiday.

I'm a high school math teacher.

When my own kids are sick, they stay home. When my students are sick, I encourage them to stay home.

But my own kids don't miss school for vacations. We have 2 months off over the summer. That's when we go to Disney. We're off next week for February break; at least 3 of my colleagues will be in WDW.

As to the kids I teach: I had a kid who was absent all of last week. She was in Florida-- I have no idea whether it was a family vacation, a medical procedure, a family wedding or a family funeral.

She missed a week's worth of work. She missed a quiz in my class and was unable to take yesterday's test because of the missed work. It will take her quite a while to make up 5 Precalculus classes as well as 5 history, 5 English, 5 Latin, 5 Religion, 5 Physics, some Art, some Phys Ed, and I'm not sure what else. We can assume it was at least one quiz per class, as well as a couple of tests, in addition to a week's worth of material for each of those classes. Sure, in typical Disboard fashion, she's an A student-- or at least she is in math. But that's a LOT Of work to be made up, and we have trimester exams in about a month.

As to those who say "She learned more in that week...." perhaps. But she didn't learn the material that will be on my exam, or on anyone else's exams. And at this level, a couple of worksheets aren't going to cut it. She'll have to get the notes and then see me for extra help.

As I always say when this topic comes up: I will teach anyone who shows up. More than that I cannot do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter