Your Parents Healthcare costs you could be Liable

zurgswife

WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett
Interesting court precedent here in PA.

Courts weigh adult children's responsibility in parents' care costs

Updated Jun 17, 2012 16:47

By PATTI S. SPENCER

On May 7, the Pennsylvania Superior Court issued an opinion in the case of Healthcare Retirement Corp. of America v. Pittas. The court found a son liable for his mother's $93,000 nursing home bill under Pennsylvania's Filial Responsibility Law. This high-profile case raises concerns.

Currently 30 states have laws making adult children responsible for their parents if their parents can't afford to pay for their own care. They rarely have been enforced. But because it has become more difficult to qualify for Medicaid and have long-term care costs paid under that program, it looks as though nursing homes are going to start enforcing the filial responsibility law to get paid.

Filial responsibility is the personal obligation or duty that adult children have for protecting, caring for and supporting their aging parents. In England, the Elizabethan Act of 1601 for the Relief of the Poor stated: "[T]he father and grandfather, and the mother and grandmother, and the children of every poor, old, blind, lame and incompetent person, or other poor person not able to work, being of a sufficient ability, shall, at their own charges, relieve and maintain every such poor person."

These Elizabethan "poor laws" became the model for the United States' legislation on the same subject.

In Pennsylvania, the first law imposing a duty of filial support is found in the Act of March 9, 1771, which required that children support their indigent parents if the children were of sufficient financial ability.

The current Pennsylvania statute provides that certain relatives, including children, have the "responsibility to care for and maintain or financially assist an indigent person." However, this responsibility does not apply if the "individual does not have sufficient financial ability to support the indigent person" or if a parent abandoned the child for 10 years during the child's minority.

Neither the terms "indigent" nor "sufficient financial ability" are clearly defined in the law.

An example of its enforcement is the 1994 Pennsylvania Superior Court case Savoy v. Savoy, which involved an elderly parent whose reasonable care and maintenance expenses exceeded her monthly Social Security income. The Superior Court found that she was indigent and affirmed the lower court's order directing her son to pay $125 per month directly to her medical care providers.

In the case of Healthcare Retirement Corporation of America v. Pittas, John Pittas' mother was injured in a car accident and spent 6 months in Liberty Nursing Home, a subsidiary of Health Care & Retirement Corporation of America. She left the nursing home and left the country, moving to Greece, leaving a large portion of her nursing home bill unpaid. The home applied for Medicaid for Pittas' mother, but the application is still pending.

The nursing home sued Pittas for $93,000 under Pennsylvania's Filial Responsibility Law, which requires a child to provide support for an indigent parent. The Lehigh County trial court ruled in favor of the nursing home, and Pittas appealed. He argued, in part, that the court should have considered alternate forms of payment, such as Medicaid or going after his mother's husband and her two other adult children.

A three-judge panel of the Pennsylvania Superior Court agreed with the trial court that Pittas is liable for the debt. The court held that the law does not require it to consider other sources of income or to wait until the Medicaid claim is resolved. It also said that the nursing home had every right to choose which family members to pursue for the money owed. The case is now the subject of an en banc reconsideration petition filed with the Pennsylvania Superior Court.

According to elder law expert Katherine Pearson, in the last 30 years there have been only three cases discussing the filial law. What makes the case unique in Pennsylvania, Pearson said, is that "it is the first time substantial dollars have been awarded against an adult son to support his mother who is in a nursing home. ... It's a game-changer in terms of the dollars and cents that we are talking about in terms of filial support."

If a parent enters a nursing home with insufficient funds to pay for his or her care, adult children should be vigilant about potential claims against their own assets to pay for that care. Remember, the statute goes both ways, and also can apply to a parent who has an adult child who is indigent.

There have been numerous attempts in the Pennsylvania legislature to amend or repeal the filial law. Contact your representative and/or state senator with concerns.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/...ity-in-parents--care-costs.html#ixzz1y63737z5

Lord God, I hope they don't come after me. We're already living on SSDI, plus the small amt I get from my job. We can hardly pay for ourselves, let alone anyone else.

Aid to the elderly gets cut, and you think nursing homes and hospitals are just going to say "oh well, guess our profit is going to go down". No way! They're going to find a way to get those bills paid.

Interesting court precedent here in PA.

Courts weigh adult children's responsibility in parents' care costs

Updated Jun 17, 2012 16:47

I really have to wonder how well off the defendant is? I mean the mother just ups and moves to Greece and she is indigent? And the son appeals the decision, he possibly paid more for the lawyer then if he tried to settle the case.

Wow! That is scary! My FIL was a terrible father. DH and his sisters lived in poverty. FIL doesn't believe in saving for the future....he puts his future in God's hands. He also doesn't believe in healthcare (although his job offers it).

We would never let him be without shelter or food, but we have always assumed that we wouldn't be responsible for his inevitable healthcare costs. We are very frugal, we have invested wisely, and we have good jobs. It’s really gonna stink if he bankrupts us one day. We have begged him to take his company's healthcare insurance, but he said it isn't our business.

The really scary thing about that ruling is the Mom has a HUSBAND, but they went after the wealthiest son. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be the responsible kid in the family!

This is really going to cause the flood gates to open to a lot of surprises for people. In my opinion, the husband is the one that should have to pay not the son.

My FIL throws his money away like scrape paper. He isn't planning on his care for the later years. I don't feel that we should be responsible for his irresponsible behavior. I have a family to raise and try to take care of; and I also have my retirement to deal with. Having to pay for his or my mil medical issues would really bankrupt us and hurt our immediate family. We are not considered poor, but we are not wealthy either.

I'm glad I live in Florida. However, my FIL lives in California. I wonder if California could sue me in Florida. I hope not!

I really have to wonder how well off the defendant is? I mean the mother just ups and moves to Greece and she is indigent? And the son appeals the decision, he possibly paid more for the lawyer then if he tried to settle the case.

I know people on SSI or on welfare go to Europe. It's about decisions that people make with the money they have or the money they get from the government.

This is really going to cause the flood gates to open to a lot of surprises for people. In my opinion, the husband is the one that should have to pay not the son.

My FIL throws his money away like scrape paper. He isn't planning on his care for the later years. I don't feel that we should be responsible for his irresponsible behavior. I have a family to raise and try to take care of; and I also have my retirement to deal with. Having to pay for his or my mil medical issues would really bankrupt us and hurt our immediate family. We are not considered poor, but we are not wealthy either.

I'm glad I live in Florida. However, my FIL lives in California. I wonder if California could sue me in Florida. I hope not!

I could have written this post. To go one further, FIL left dh's mom and left her financially responsible for all his kids. All the while his new stepkids had everything and anything they wanted. If anyone should be responsible for his care, it should be them.

The article also mentioned that parents could be responsible for their indigent children. This is not something we bargained for in our retirement!

I know people on SSI or on welfare go to Europe. It's about decisions that people make with the money they have or the money they get from the government.

If you are on SSI and leave the country for 30 consecutive days or more, your SSI will be cut off.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/health/NOA/30states.pdf

You can see the states and statutes here. This is really freaking me out. My parents have not been bad to me but they are the most finacially irresponsible people that I have ever known. They are in their early 60x and just took a 2nd mortgage on their almost paid off house to consolidate about 40g of credit card debt. Now they want to put the house in mine and my brothers name so that the state can't take it, no thanks!

I really feel no sense of obligation toward them because of the way they have mismanaged their finances.

My aunt has a friend whose sister is in a nursing home with dementia. Her 2 youngest daughters tricked her into signing a power of attorney before she had a stroke last year. They refuse to give the nursing home permission to let her take the medication she was taking and she's now worse off, she doesn't sleep, she's tormented. The nursing home calls them and asks for permission for certain meds and they say no. One doctor went to the state and asked for their power of attorney to be revoked but they said no. I'd love for the court to turn around and say they have to pay for her care.

If she happens to be an EU citizen, then moving to Greece in this case would probably be the responsible thing to do if she needs ongoing medical care. As in all countries in Europe, there is nationalized health care in Greece; she can spend the rest of her life in a nursing home there and it will not cost her a dime; poverty not required.

I come from an immigrant family; several of my extended family have left the US and gone back to Europe under similar circumstances; as doing this usually means that you can still leave your home to your children, rather than giving every asset you have to a nursing home in a spend-down to qualify for Medicaid.

I'm glad those laws were not in place when my parents, particularly my father, needed care. They were financially irresponsible and never gave a thought to the future. I have often wondered just how they thought they were going to live if they had lived into old age.

I have a relative who is my age who is the same way. Her children are exactly the same. So what happens then -- if the kids have saved no money and do not have education/jobs to make enough money anyway?

Yikes. We live in one of the 30 states and my MIL is completely irresponsible with her money. This is scary to think about! :eek:

If she happens to be an EU citizen, then moving to Greece in this case would probably be the responsible thing to do if she needs ongoing medical care. As in all countries in Europe, there is nationalized health care in Greece; she can spend the rest of her life in a nursing home there and it will not cost her a dime; poverty not required.

I come from an immigrant family; several of my extended family have left the US and gone back to Europe under similar circumstances; as doing this usually means that you can still leave your home to your children, rather than giving every asset you have to a nursing home in a spend-down to qualify for Medicaid.

This is one of the main reasons Greece is in the financial position it's in right now.

here that does not work

here u have to pay to live in a nursing home and costs are not cheap

Out of curiosity since I live in one of those states, I looked up what our law says. It basically says that certain family members (the father and grandfather, the mother and grandmother, and brothers and sisters, and the descendants of any pauper not able to work) can be held responsible for a pauper's care up to $150 per month.

My parents are probably the most fiscally responsible people I know, but you never know what can happen when health care is involved. I don't think the statute in my state is too frightening, but some other states could be very different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter