Your opinions on Ariel's Grotto and Blue Bayou

KayR

DIS Veteran
Gosh,

Being a WDW 'vet' - I feel totally like a fish out of water for our trip to DL at the end of August. Excited though!

I have reservations for the princess dinner at Ariel's grotto but when they told me it was $40 for an adult I nearly fell on the floor. What's the menu like, is it worth it? (yes, I know we are paying for the experience too, and my DD will have a great time here).

Also I have seen a ton of positive reviews on the Blue Bayou , but for my DH's tastes, there appear to be limited menu options. Is it really worth trying to get ADR's for this? It does look cool, but I am wondering if we should save our pennies on this one?

Thoughts from you DL 'vets'

-Kay

Have you looked at the lunch and dinner menus? Maybe if one does not appeal the other would.

If you have never been, I think it is worth doing at least once just for the ambiance. It is not something you can get anywhere else. Admittedly, for us it is a must do so I am a bit biased. I know others who would rather not spend the money.

BTW, how can you be from San Jose and not have been to DL?? The horror! :)

--Daneen

Well I have not eaten at Ariels Grotto. But I have eaten at BB. I was very disappointed. The food was toooooo salty, the portions were small, and it didnt taste good. I was very disappointed. The atmosphere was great but I was still hungry. So after 225- for 4 adults and 2 kids ( who also were disappointed with their meals) we all went and had hot dogs.
I guess its cool if you want the experience. but I would just go for desert.
I personally love the Cafe Orleans. The food is GOOOOD. The menu is small, but it is all good. All of it! I hope this helps. Oh Cafe Orleans is right across the "street" from the BB.

ok im going to say this nice and easy. the food sucked at the princess lunch same food at dinner. I will try there breakfast but till they change the menu a bit and hopefully have better food i wont do lunch.

BB i havent ate at in years. I did like it when i was there I dont think the prices are out ragies just know its couse im eatting at BB. I have heard some dont like it but then ive heard alot that do. if it were bb or princess dinner id take BB

The food at Ariel's is horrible! We tried eating there 3 years in a row and won't ever again. Yes, you get to see some princesses, but to me $40 is not worth it at all.

I used to love BB, but the last time we went it was awful. The Monte Cristo actually made me sick and the service was horrible. They have also raised their prices.

Just my .02!

Well, I'm going to disagree with the majority.

We always go to the Princess Dinner at Ariel's Grotto. We love it! The food isn't remarkable but we think it's actually better than most of the food at DLR. We have had such a wonderful time every single year (this year will make it 6). Now, I have heard that the lunch is bad, but we always go for the dinner. The servings are large and everything is included. Just DON'T let your kids order the mac and cheese--anywhere in DL--it's absolutely awful. If you look in my signature you'll see my 3 littlest ones enjoying a pose with Cinderella at the Princess dinner last year. You get to see 5 (I think) princesses, and they spend time with you talking to your kids and posing for pictures. As far as the price, try to do an advance purchase of vouchers from AAA or Getawaytoday.com. Also, you could call Disney Dining and see how much it would be. If you're staying at one of the resort hotels, you can add it to your room. We were given a rate for Oct of $25.60/adult and $17.80/child on vouchers for the princess dinner from AAA. Note that they include tax and tip. Where we are (N CA), you can get your hoppers and vouchers without purchasing a package. If you have a AAA card, you can also get a discount at both Ariel's and BB, but it's 10% I believe so not as good a deal as the vouchers for Ariel's.

Blue Bayou is another favorite of mine!! My family loves to go there for lunch and eat at a waterside table. I will probably miss it this year :sad1: due to the closure of POTC in Oct. Anyway, we choose to eat there for lunch because I LOVE the Monte Cristo and it isn't offered on the dinner menu. It is very rich, so I split it with my girls. One Monte Cristo gets cut into 4 triangles and we each take one. You also get salad, veggies, and some sort of creamy potatoes. Yum!! Dh gets crab cakes, which is an appetizer. We find that is plenty with the bread they serve to fill us up, plus we get mint juleps, too. We keep thinking we're going to try a dessert but we're always too full. Our bill is always pretty low (~$50-60) but when you split one meal 4 ways it does tend to lighten the load :rotfl: The kids get pirate hat menus (you can wear them after you order) and they bring chocolates at the end. Fun!! We spent more on lunch at the burger place in Frontierland.

I would have to agree - we also did not enjoy our last experience with Ariel's Grotto. We have eaten there a few times over the last 5 years or so and every time seems to get worse (food and service). This last March was our last time. So not worth the money - in my opinion.
As far as BB - we haven't eaten there is many years. I really can't remember if we liked the food. I do remember that my kids didn't like the children's menu (they are very picky though).

I absolutely love the BB. We go for lunch because it's pretty much the same menu but cheaper. There is not a lot of options for vegetarians, but their other options are great. I usually get the chicken which is tasty.

And you can't go without getting the cookie boat!!!

As far as Ariel's Grotto goes, we went for dinner and didn't like it. The service and food were horrible.

The BB isn't bad, but I don't especially care for it. I'm a VERY picky eater and don't like anything on their menu. I do like the bread though. :rotfl:

If I had to chose one, I'd go for BB.

We usually do both every trip. I have been to both at least 3 times each.

With Ariel's Grotto you are really paying for the character interaction. It is nice inside, decorated to look like you are under water (sort of), but very light and colorful and if it is hot they have wonderful air conditioning. I usually get the hamburger and it is just fine, nothing great. The kids meals are fine. For example macaroni and cheese and hot dog...basically kraft mac and cheese sprinkled with goldfish and topped with a hotdog to look like an octopus (called the octadog). But you are not paying for good food you are paying for the convenience of meeting all the princesses and not waiting in the long lines at the Princess Faire (which is worth it to me).

Blue Bayou is another favorite. It is so nice, cool and relaxing inside. I have only tried the Monte Cristo (without ham). You get a lot of food because it comes with a salad and scalloped potatoes. I can't eat that much but I love the Monte Cristo and don't mind paying the price.

Just know if you go to those you are paying for the atmospheres and if you don't go in with too high expectations of the food you will be fine.

I agree with most of the posters that the food at Ariels was not good. I found it very bland. There are few menu options and most were very high fat. It might be fine for kids but not for me.

I like Blue Bayou. The food is not to die for, but I was happy with it, particularly since the menu changed a couple of years back. The atmosphere is very nice if you can get a waterside table or even a row back. I prefer going for the 11:30 seating so that I can get a waterside table.

In general, the dining options at DL can't compare with WDW, but at least there are many more choices than there were before DTD and DCA. I think the food has steadily improved, even at the counter service restaurants. What places do you particularly like at WDW?

BTW, how can you be from San Jose and not have been to DL?? The horror! :)

--Daneen

We have once, about 5 years ago, but we now have a place next to WDW and have gone there a couple of times a year since 2002. This year we (OK *I*) decided to take a trip to DL because we had our big Florida trip with our first DCL cruise in Jan. DH didn't want to do another big trip this year. But I neeeed a bit of Disney Magic and DL is just a short(!) drive away...

-Kay

In general, the dining options at DL can't compare with WDW, but at least there are many more choices than there were before DTD and DCA. I think the food has steadily improved, even at the counter service restaurants. What places do you particularly like at WDW?

One of our favorite places is The Brown Derby at DHS and the Sci Fi Diner (mainly for the atmosphere and corney second rate sci-fi movies - the food is OK too.) Not a big fan of buffets, but they are usually fine (We have done Crystal Palace, the character breakfast at AK, Boma, etc)

Typically at WDW we just do a lunch (usually somewhere indoors w/table service for a break from the heat / crowds.

From the sounds of things, I will keep the Princess dinner reservations for the experience and not have high hopes for the quality of the food. But I think I will skip the BB as I am still not convinced that it is worth it for our family (I would hate to spend $200 and not be happy!)

Thanks for everyone's opinions! It did help.

--Kay

We have once, about 5 years ago, but we now have a place next to WDW and have gone there a couple of times a year since 2002. This year we (OK *I*) decided to take a trip to DL because we had our big Florida trip with our first DCL cruise in Jan. DH didn't want to do another big trip this year. But I neeeed a bit of Disney Magic and DL is just a short(!) drive away...

-Kay

A short and expensive drive away!! (I am near SF, so our drive is about the same!!)
Ok, my turn for my breakdown. Last time we ate at BB was in Nov of 2005. We (the kids) would rather spend the money on stuff rather than food, but, we did love it. Except for my DH, he just said it was ok. But yes, I would definately recommend it and we would definately do it agian if we could afford it + stuff!!pirate:
For Ariels, we did lunch there in July of 02, and never returned. We considered it this trip, thinking maybe it has changed. But I have read too many negative reviews on here, and I did check out the menu which did not seem all that appealing to me. As you see in my siggy, we have all boys, so no pressure from anywhere to do the princess meals. My boys could care less (except the 4yo, he is married to Ariel, so he says).

HTH!!

I'm sure you've heard a lot by now, but just to vent it out and get it off my chest, I have to say we DID NOT enjoy the food at Ariel's Grotto. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

We loved BB. :love: We always got the 11:30 seating for a waterside table.
We split meals and shared a cookie boat so it wasn't as expensive that way. My boys still have their pirate hat menus in their scrapbook. I would give it a try maybe share meals to make it more affordable. I find it's like Scifi as the food isn't gourmet but good and the atmosphere makes it worth it. My boys request SciFi at WDW and BB at DL.

I guess we are in the minority but we really enjoyed the food at Ariel's Grotto too!
I thought the onion soup was good and my husband was pleasantly surprised how good the chicken noodle soup was. I have had the High Striker Penne Pasta twice and it has always been really delicious and hot!
My husband ordered the burger and he said it was okay!
My son ordered the Chicken Tenders and when it arrived with mashed potatoes we asked he could also get some french fries and they were very accommodating!
You are definitely paying for the character interaction and not the food though!
However, if your children like the princesses, I think it is worth it!
I didn't find the service was that good but I find that the entire resort suffers from this! To me, it is like they don't have any sense of urgency!
They were a little backed up on the Priority Seating and we had no interest in buying the picture package so we skipped pictures with Ariel and asked to be seated instead and they accommodated us!
This was the only character meal that we did that the characters seem to come out on a kind of schedule and seemed to visit the tables in an orderly fashion. Unlike the three others we did, we did not see a character at another table and then watch them leave only to have to request the server have them come to our table.
We did feel a little rushed to finish up by our server though!
We have done Blue Bayou twice and it is definitely for the experience.
The first time we were seated in the middle of the restaurant and last time we ensured that we had riverside seating and this definitely improves the experience.
On both occasions we were not impressed with the food but we love the atmosphere so we will do it again. We also split a plate to cut down on the expense though!

Apparently we are in the minority too. We enjoy Ariel's Grotto a lot, we had AP's that just expired on the 16th of July so we were there often. We ate at AG many times, for breakfast and for lunch and once for a very early dinner. The Princess interaction is great, the food is good and my girls love it there. I've had the pasta, the burger, the cesear salad and DBF has had the salmon, the meatloaf and something else. LOL I don't remember what he had and I had the pasta at least twice, the burger a couple times and the salad once. Loved the onion soup and I am a huge onion soup snob, nothing was too salty for me and I eat a very low sodium diet (due to HBP in our family) so I can't eat salty foods, I'll send them back if they are salty. We have always enjoyed our meals at AG and I'm sure we will be going back again sometime. :)

BB, another fave of ours. I've had almost the complete menu at BB and loved every bite of it. Again, nothing was too salty, the MC is greasy but it's deep fried and supposed to be. Heavenly yes, greasy yes. I totally recommend going to both!

We went to the Ariel Princess Supper in November and we were terribly disappointed. The food was terrible. My girls are 4 and 6 and were very excited to meet the princesses but the interactions were very brief. (about enough time for the princess to show up and say, "would you like a picture?" and then leave). We did get some great pictures but I wouldn't do it again. On the same trip we had breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and were very surprised by how nice it was. Even though my girls are huge princess fans they had a blast with Lilo and Stitch. Each charachter came around more than once. They learned a dance from Lilo and played a game with Stitch. We are going to DL in 2 weeks and will not be going to the Princess supper but will be going to Minnie's breakfast and Chip and Dale Breakfast.

I'm really surprised to read that Ariel's Grotto has terrible reviews! I have never been there before, but my cousin, wazowskiLOVER & I have talked about wanting to try it out. I don't think we want to anymore after reading these reviews. I'd expect all of the DL & DCA restaurants have great service like the BB. But oh well.. for $40, I rather go to BB than Ariel's I guess. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter