• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your input please!

Wife and I have been on 6 cruises, and had "same sex" couples at our table a couple of times. Their sexual preference never came up in the dinner conversation, so I have no idea if they were Gay or Lesbian. If you want to have a good time, go Disney and don't worry about it. However, if you truly feel you might be uncomfortable another option to consider would be to consider one of the Gay and Lesbian cruises other lines are planning this year. It won't be Disney, but cruising is a GREAT vacation anyway.

Originally posted by tvguy
If you want to have a good time, go Disney and don't worry about it. However, if you truly feel you might be uncomfortable another option to consider would be to consider one of the Gay and Lesbian cruises other lines are planning this year. It won't be Disney, but cruising is a GREAT vacation anyway.

Yes, they could, but they are on LAME cruise lines (read as Non-Disney)

:bounce:

:earsboy: I am not a veteran of the cruise, but I can give you my opinion of a father of a family that will be on a cruise. You may run into some people/famlies that will not be tolerent of your lifestyle. That's their problem not yours. If you get a dining table situation like that... move on. My children have not met any gay couples and have had little exposure to that lifestyle other than what they see on tv and they might stare or giggle at first . However I think it is important that kids (and many adults) learn that what you look like, your lifestyle, and religious beliefs, are not a determinig factor as to wheter you are a good person or not. Go have a great time and have fun. Hopefully good people will recognize you and your partner for the fun loving people you are!

DaddyDisney.

Hi, Rick!! Go, cruise and be happy!! People get turned off by all kinds of things that you have no control over. But you guys, with your great personalities and sense of humor, will have no trouble. Whoever gets you as tablemates should consider themselves lucky. Oh, and BTW, we'll be sailing May 15 so...come aboard, we're expecting you......:teeth:

No. But some lines will run cruises for homosexual men or women, just like they run cruises for singles or seniors or people with no kids or women wearing flamenco dresses and big fruit hats. That kind of stuff.

they are chartered out to event companies. example-atlantis events hold sailings on ncl and rccl(im positive on the first, pretty sure on the second). we have some friends that happen to be gay that cruise with this event co. each year. last year, they did ncl and went on a week cruise. one of the couples who went for the first time didnt like it-they said that the ship felt too flamboyant(not sure why they think that). they are the quiet couple who you would never know as being gay. i know that a few years ago they did a gay cruise thru mexico, then the next year the carribean(not sure exactly where).
rick-im positive that you will be comfortable on dcl. but, if you want to check them out,im sure that the name of of the gay travel event co. is www.atlantisevents.com . i remember i looked at the books/brochere(sp?) when they got back and thought that would be cool for my uncle and his partner and my cousin and her partner to go in a group.but, the dinig with us offer still stands for sitting with us 1/29/2005;)

Just another vote for Go For it...and PS we'd love to be your table mates on a cruise...

I'll jump in here too...

Come cruise with us....12-4-04..late seating....we'll have a blast!!!

Phyllis
::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo

RickinNYC

I have always taught my family to be respectful of all people regardless of age, race, sex, color or sexual orientation. My DS's (10 & 8) are aware of the differences between a heterosexual couple and a homosexual couple. We would have no problems at all sharing a dinner table with you and getting to know you and have a great time. I would feel uncomfortable if any couple was over affectionate in public. You sound like a nice person and that should be what matters. You should go and enjoy yourselves. There will always be ignorant people in the world, just find the good people (I'm sure there will be many) on board and have fun!!

Rick, sounds to me like you and your partner could make a career as professional cruise table mates :D Go, have a great time, and spread that good humor!

You guys are all the best! Thanks so much for the input and most especially, you're incredible support. I honestly didn't expect anyone to post something like, "Don't you dare cruise, it's for families only!" But I certainly didn't expect so many folks to say, "Hey, come sit by me!"

Now I just wish I could go on all of the DCL dates! LOL!

One thought on the gay oriented cruises. Joe (DP) and I had thought of doing so in years past but to tell the truth, from all the marketing info we've reviewed, plus our friends' feedback, they're not for us. Gay cruises tend to be huge clubs at sea. Lots of free flowing booze, tons of dancing events, and most everyone is single and just looking to party.

We've been together for little more than 13 years. That type of vacation is just not our style. Honestly, it never has been for either of us in any case. Besides, why spend so much money to go on a vacation where the focus is a huge party? We live in NYC for cryin' out loud! If I want to go to a big club, I can go any night of the week!

We just love the atmosphere that Disney represents, the calm/gentle open welcome feeling I experience (even if walking into a Disney Store), the sense of family (of all types), the overall good will and all the childhood memories.

Now I have to convince Joe to take that DCL vacation next year! And for the record, we're going to WDW from 9/23-10/3 this year. If anyone wants to meet up at Pleasure Island or at a park, just say the word! It'd be so great to meet so many great people!

I also want to invite to join our table, February 26, 2005, second seating. I guess now the decision will be wich date to pick.
Just go for it, DCL is the best, you will have a great time.

Rick, sorry to be so late to this thread, but I've been busy this weekend. There have been several trip reports posted by gay couples, and I'd strongly encourage you to read through them. The overall tone that I've gotten was that these people had an absolutely great time, and weren't affected at all by any attitude problems.

I'm not going to say that someone, somewhere might not be rude about their opinion (their problem as well), but I don't think it would be any worse than in the general population, and shouldn't affect your vacation.

Oh, and here's another encouragement for the 10 day Christmas cruise!! Lots of fun cruisers there! Come join us!

Hi Rick (and Joe),

I saw this thread earlier and was ready to jump in much as everyone else has with go - don't worry - have fun - dine with us (that is if we had another cruise booked). Then decided to do a little research. (Hey, I'm a professor - research is what we do! :p )

Anyway, as several have said before, DH & I have done our best to raise our kids to be tolerant and accepting of all sorts of people and in general they are. But I had to wonder how my 16 year old son in particular would react to finding a same sex couple at the table. Although I knew he would be polite and not do anything offensive I wondered if he'd be comfortable. PLEASE don't get me wrong - it is just part of having a teen age son in the house - you begin to recognize that not everything makes them comfortable and it can be weird stuff. :rolleyes: Also I have a cousin that is in a similar situation as the two of you and about a year ago my DS suddenly comprehended the situation and he did have to do some processing to find a comfort zone. It is part of the growing up process.

So I asked him. His first reaction was cool - does this mean we've booked another cruise? No son, it is a hypothetical question for a thread on the boards. After he finished commenting on what he calls my "addiction" to the boards he got a bit more serious. Essentially, he echoed what everyone else has said - as long as they aren't all over each other and were fun who cares? They should go, have fun, and tell anyone who has a problem where they can take themselves off to :rolleyes: (I simply report what was said).

Does this make sense? Again let me repeat what I said earlier - I think it would be great but just thought I'd do a little checking with another segment of the population to give you a little more info.

So talk Joe into it and go!
Deb

Thanks guys - glad you understood what I was trying to say. I was a little afraid how it might son. He is a pretty good kid - but even the best go brain dead at times.

On the other hand he walked into my craft room over the weekend as DH was getting ready to leave for work and "caught us" during a good bye kiss. (nothing x rated!) and suggested that we "had a room"! And did we REALLY have to behave like that "in public"?

Deb

What great responses to Rick's question, but I wouldn't expect anything else from the people who post here! :)

My partner and I have been on several cruises (non-Disney) by ourselves, and never had even an inkling that anyone had any issues dining with or hanging out with us. (There was even one year when our single female tablemates tried to "pick us up", but that's another story).

We've cruised twice on NCL with our two adopted boys without anything other than surprised reactions from the Kids Crew staff when we explain that the boys have two dads.

Next month, we'll be on the 4/17 Magic sailing with our three kids (DSS called again and we couldn't say no), and we're expecting to have a wonderful time!

Mark

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter