• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your first Space Mountain experience:

22David2

Fan of the both the Land and World
I just thought I would create a Space Mountain appreciation thread. I am curious to get other people's opinions on the first time they rode the attraction. It took several years for me to build up enough courage to actually do it. But the first time I managed to get through the entire queue and onto the ride, it was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

Also, if anyone has cool pics of SM, please post them.:cool2:

My first experience was on my first 'real' vacation.. it was with my uncle, aunt and cousin. Not sure how old I was, maybe in the 4th or 5th grade.

I was always terrified of the ride, thought it was like an 'actual' rollercoaster. But he ended up talking me into it, don't know how, and I had the time of my life.. ever since, I've been hooked! It's the best ride they have.. no doubt about that. And you're right, it is a cool experience.. even waiting in line is worth the hour wait! :neucoffee:

I don't even remember my "first" experience. We were going to Disney every summer before I was anywhere near tall enough to ride it. But it was one of my dad's favorites so I'm sure I rode it as soon as I was tall enough. I've never been afraid of rides so I remember always loving it. And that it was something my dad and I always did together. (mom doesn't like thrill rides at all)

DD will be tall enough on our December trip to ride it. (she's a little over 33 inches now without shoes!) That's a big deal to me. I can't wait to take her on her first ride on Space Mountain.

I remember them having different cars back when I was a kid though. Where you could sit with another person sort of one behind one in front. I wish they still had that. I think DD would be more comfortable that way. But she LOVED BTMRR so I'm not worried about her not liking the actual ride just getting her to sit by herself.

My first experience was when I was young. About 11 or 12. I was terrified!:scared1: It looked and sounded so intimidating that I actually started to cry while waiting in line. I was with my mother and father on this trip (just the 3 of us) and I just knew my dad was going to force me to go on it. The main thing that frightened me was the fact I couldn't see the coaster, all I could do was hear it. Totally freaked me out.

Needless to say, I passed.However, I vowed revenge on Space Mountain and I returned about 8 years later and rode it. Best time of my life! :thumbsup2

Space Mountain opened in MK when I was a teenage. By the time I rode the thing all the rumors about people getting hurt or passing away on the ride were in full flight, thus the buildup was a bit more than the ride actually delivered. I mean, for a roller coaster junkie it's not exactly cutting edge other than the fact that it's a dark, indoor ride.

After the initial disappointment, SM eventually became one of my favorite attractions.

My 1st experience on Space Mountain was when I was 16. I wasn't into riding roller coasters back then (I think it made me into a junkie though!), but my parents' friend told me I had to try it with her. It was our 1st family trip to WDW and we went during Thanksgiving week. I and my parents' friend waited 2 hours to ride it and I have to say, I totally thought it was worth the 2 hour wait! Not sure that I would wait 2 hours today, but I still love it! It's a definitely must ride for me everytime we're in the World! :yay:

I was 3 years old, and I remember being scared out of my mind, my mom said my eyes were so big, she thought they would pop out!

Space Mountain was my first roller coaster ever, at the age of 9! I love it and still do, it's one of my Disney favorites. The queue is almost as good as the ride. :goodvibes When you're in that star tunnel in the beginning, you really feel like you're blasting off into outer space. Unfortunately, on my WDW trips, I've got to do this one alone because it terrifies my mother! :lmao:

I rode it first at Disneyland in 1980. At the time, I would usually feel some anxiety while waiting in line for my first ride on a coaster, but the amazing (for the time) queue kept me from thinking too much about it. I remember going up the lift hill the first time, and how impressive the whole thing looked. Then zipping around in the dark, with stars and asteroids in the background. It was just wonderful!

I was around 7 (1977). If I remember correctly, the trains were different then than they are now. I think they allowed two people to sit together. My sisters sat in the front and my Dad and I sat in the back. I screamed the entire time, "Dad, stop it. Make it stop. Let me off." :scared1:

On my first trip to WDW (in 04), we ignored the advice that said to take afternoon breaks in the summer. On day 3, we hit the wall and slept through the day. Our plan for that day blown, we (and by "we," I mean "DW") decided to go to MK that evening.

We entered the park around 7 with no plan other than to see Spectro at 9 and Wishes at 10. So we went to Space Mountain and waited 60 minutes in standby to ride. Normally that kind of wait would drive me nuts, but I enjoyed the queue so much that I didn't mind it at all. I'm a space nut, so looking at the scenery and listening to the music was pretty cool. I'd never been in a dark, indoor coaster, and the experience was a lot of fun. Space is probably my favorite MK attraction (with Splash a close 2nd).

Like KT Mom, I was very young for my first ride--too young for me to remember it. I actually have memories as a kindergartner telling another kid that it really wasn't that scary and I'd ridden Space Mountain lots of times. As you can imagine, it's one of my favorite (if not my favorite) coasters. It was probably also my first coaster.

My first Space Mountain experience was at Disneyland when I was 12; I loved it, but it was way more enjoyable to experience it (MK) with my daughter during her first time. We rode it sooo many times. My husband screams sooo loud too. Space Mountain Rocks!!!

My first Space Mountain experience was when I was about 6 or 7. My grandfather took me on it. This was back around 1981 or so and back then they had the cars where 2 people sat together with one person inbetween the other person's legs :cool1: . I was scared outta my mind. I still remember it to this day and it was what hooked me as a rollercoaster junkie.

While I dig all the new fancy coasters bragging about the 1,000 times they invert you nothing IMO compares to Space Mountain. Everytime I inch my way through the queue in Space Mountain I have flash backs of being 7 years old again and riding it for the first time with my grandfather and while I'm not scared anymore ;) , I still have the same smile and the same rush of adrenaline and excitement when the ride is over.

One thing that gets me into "Space Mountain mode" is the star tunnel music that plays over throughout the queue. Makes it really feel like outer space.

I was very underwhelmed with Space Mountain the first time I rode. I guess I had heard it was so exciting and it...wasn't. I skipped it for a few trips after that and then rode again and thought it was more fun. I think it was because I'm getting older and it doesn't take much to scare me anymore. :)

Kind of freaky the first time-kept thinking there may a loose piece of angle iron hanging down that would rip your head off. The more I rode the better though.

Our first trip to DW MK had a space mountain (what is now referred as) Soft Opening, we had passed these LONG lines outside of the attraction, and a CM said it was closed, and everyone walked away, we walked back to see what it was, and a CM said, its open - we walked on!! :cool1:

and years later, my family - eating at the Contem seeing SM - ds 11 begged to ride it - I was 5 months pg - but dh doesnt do coasters, and other ds was too tired (8yrs old) so OF COURSE I ran over with DS and yep... we rode it - it was set up much differently - ds basically sat in my lap, and we were basically sitting on the floor of the car - I honestly think there was a lap belt involved...

now of course i wonder... WHAT WAS I THINKING :scared1: I do remember a doctors visit and asking him what I could and couldnt ride! And I did mention how i love coasters... he was a disney nut too, and said no problems! (and dd is now 11 and she wont ride coasters!! :rotfl2:

The car you ride in has changed several time since the beginning. I remember the 1st year it opened, sitting in between my fathers legs, eyes squeezed shut, screaming the entire way. My Dad said he's never heard anyone scream that loud before! We were both hooked on it, but it took me a while to open my eyes while riding it. I'm 46 and I still scream riding it and I have my eyes open some of the time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter