• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your favorite thing about AKL!

DH & I spent our 23rd wedding anniversary last year at AKL and it was amazing!!! From the moment we walked through the doors we felt so special. We had a room on the Sunset Savanna right off the lobby and it was beautiful. It was so nice and relaxing to sit out on the balcony and watch all the animals, especially during feeding time. Then right about sunset it was amazing to relax on the balcony and watch the antics of the animals. We had an amazing dinner @ BOMA, relaxing drinks @ Victoria Falls Lounge and then enjoyed the night vision goggle animal watching. The pool was amazing and relaxing. We didn't get to do the cooking tour at BOMA or JIKO, which we hope to do next time. There's really so many activities right there at AKL that we wished we had spent more time there instead of at the parks. You'll have a blast no matter what you do.
Today 04:25 PM

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: Heavenly!! Sounds like SUCH an awesome trip:wizard:

The guy at the door who stands there with the large cane - staff. Everytime I see him I think "wow, this guy came from Africa, stands at the door all day greeting people and gets paid to do it"

Oh Styron I loved this place! WE took my mom there and it was fabulous!!!! There is so much that we loved.....the pool is great, the hidden jacuzzi/hot tub behind the slide, the ambiance of the whole place, the little bar tucked up on the second floor.....but what I really loved was meeting up with the ranger in the evening and using the night vision goggles to see the animals in the dark. They did this down past the pool area.....follow the path past the large jacuzzi to the end and you can see over the plain area. This is where he was. It was so cool watching the baby giraffe running after his momma!!!!:goodvibes

There is a wonderful smell of wood smoke and spices that carry throughout the main building/lobby area of AKL that is just incredible.

Oh my gosh....we can't just pick ONE favorite thing as AKL is our absolute favorite resort. What we love:

Lobby...the smell, the darkness, the coolness when you come in from a SWELTERING park, the incredibly beautiful tree at Christmas
Animals....we can watch forever! (love the fact that you don't have to have a savanna view room to see plenty of animals)
Kids...tons of activities to keep them busy (and learning, too)
Pool...love the zero entry and the slide is cool plus two spa/hot tubs
Boma...well, really what's there to say...yummy!
Victoria Falls lounge...nice quiet place for a drink or two
CMs....just the most friendly people ever
Zebra Domes....:simba:
Beds...heavenly!

I should say that we go so often the valet guys even recognize the name now. :rotfl2:

What an AWESOME thread!! I will be there in two weeks!!

Do you need reservations for breakfast at Boma - or is it OK just to walk up?

What an AWESOME thread!! I will be there in two weeks!!

Do you need reservations for breakfast at Boma - or is it OK just to walk up?

I made our BOMA reservations as soon as the hotel reservations were made. You "might" be lucky enough to get a slot but I wouldn't count on it. You'd be better off calling now to see what might be available on the day you want to go. JMHO.........:surfweb:

The first great thing I noticed was that we were the 3rd (and last)stop on Disneys Magic Express from the airport, and each resort looked better than the last. when we walked thru the gorgeous lobby we were hit by this wonderful smell of clean, cedar, soap and leather. It was great. Our room was ready very early so we went right in, right to the balcony and saw the giraffes on the savannah(Sav. view rm)WOW, it was our 1st vacation and one that we will never forget. My 3 yr old son wants to live there. Enjoy your vacation, hope it is very magical.

What do I love best??? That I'm going to be there in 16 sleeps :banana:

So I haven't be there yet, but I know I'm going to love LOTS of things.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned they loved the balcony while the kids were sleeping. The balcony was something I really didn't care about figuring we wouldn't use it - but I'm actually really excited to sit out when the kids are sleeping and have a drink with my husband...after all, it is our 10 yr anniversary!!

The pool is very nice and my son (3 at the time) loved the playground. I didn't really care for Jiko. My wife and I were sitting uncomfortably close to a young couple at the next table, and the waiter was actually flirting with the woman all through dinner.:crazy2: I don't know if it made her companion uncomfortable, but it sure put a negative spin on the evening for me. Also, the food at Boma is far superior. (The bread pudding at Boma is the best I've had anywhere.):cool1:

Things I like........how long do you have to listen?

1. The Lodge itself (Amazing culture)
2. Savannah (even without the views of the animals)
3. JIKO, JIKO, JIKO (did I mention the food)
4. Cast members (friendly, helpful)

We did the concierge level in 2005 (DH and I. I was on kidney dialysis so it was nice to have the food in the lounge and everyone taking care of me)

For all the AKL DISers who use the IPO I finally spoked to Don and told him what a wonderful job he was doing and he said his praise on the DIS boards was overrated. That's Pixie Dust in itself!

The smell of the fire pit.

Watching the animals from your balcony.

Frik and Frak (we named the geese) that would chase the ducks everyday and then honk and flap their wings in triumph.

The half chicken in the Mara. Yummy. I had that about 4x last time we were there.

The pisctachio creme brulee in Jiko. Plus that BBQ Short Rib (HUGE!) they had there also.

My favorite thing about AKL is feeling like I'm vacationing in another country! I honestly felt like we had left the US entirely while we were staying there. Also, there's just an overall relaxing feel about the place. It's wonderful!!!!

Waking up to giraffes walking outside your balcony door. Hands down the most memorable experience I have of AKL.

You all have me pricing a quick room-only trip for May. It probably won't happen, but it would be cooooool. One of these days!

What is there not to love about AKL! My favorite thing is sitting out on the balcony after a hectic time in the parks. The peace and quiet with the animals is just awesome. The terrific staff and the smell as you enter the lobby.
Can't wait for my October trip to Kindi Village and AKL Club Level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter