• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your favorite non Disney vacation

My kids are with my parents right now doing the same thing. They left here (PA) June 7, and have covered just about every major landmark across the US.

DH and I met up with them last week in LA and DLR, after they drove down the coast from Portland.
They just left the Grand Canyon yesterday and are headed back home. I would have loved to have stayed and done the whole trip with them.
Everyone they talk to tells them how lucky they are to experience this . I'm not sure they realize it though.

That trip was in 1977, and it's still my favorite :)

For us it was Italy, Costa Rica, and our 3 week road trip of the western US. Would love to take the kids there when they get bigger.

We took a road trip in June to Chincoteague and Assateague Virginia. Loved it! It was a great family trip and one we won't be forgetting soon. Even DD7 said this was the best trip ever! I asked her better than Disney? She's been to WDW and on a Disney cruise and without hesitation she said YES! We enjoyed every minute on the island, so much that we voted against spending a day in DC because we didn't want to leave the island any sooner than we had to. It gave such a small town feel, everyone was so nice and it was so relaxing. As a landlocked person it was nice to go to bed to the light house flashing in our window from Assateague Island, and wake up to the sun rising over that same lighthouse. Assateague is home to a few herds of wild ponies and there's even a book series written about them. We read all of the books before leaving town and seeing everything for real and in person was amazing. For dinner we'd pull up our crab cages from our dock, and for lunch we'd climb down the dock and pull off fresh oysters. If we wanted to change things up we'd travel out to Assateague (a whole 3 minute drive, or 10 minutes bike ride) and go clamming. It was a fantastic trip and we can't wait to return!

Washington DC is the first one that comes to mind. It was a beautiful May week in the Capital, and I was amazed at how emotional the trip was for me. I never expected to feel how I did about all these monuments I had seen photos of most my life. I actually had tears during my first look at the White House.

We've been truly blessed; almost too many phenomenal vacations to mention: 3 weeks in Europe by planes and trains; Olympics in Italy; Alaska land and sea; a month in Australia and New Zealand by land and sea; several summers in Hawaii; and so on and so forth; but, WDW is magical, always makes me happy, DD dis the college intern program several years ago, and we try to get there 2-3 times a year- upcoming trips: October, then April and then DCL for 14n PC cruise next fall!

I took a cruise and except for the REALLLLLLLLLLY tiny bathroom, I loved it.

I leave in less than a month for an Alaskan cruise. If I could get my head out of the Disney Mode I've got to start getting my plans for it. (I was part of the FD maddness).

DH and I will be married 25 years next summer. We want to do something special. For our 20th anniversary trip we did a trip to St.Thomas. The island was wonderful but our villa had air conditioning only in the bedrooms. It was June and it was terrible. The heat, humidity and mosquitos had me counting the minutes until I could go home. I specifically asked about the AC and was told I would not miss it. WRONG! So, those of you who have loved Tahiti, Fiji, and other tropical places. Did you stay in resorts? We really love beach vacations and exotic places, I just really love central air conditioning as well. Am I asking for too much:)?

We took a road trip in June to Chincoteague and Assateague Virginia. Loved it! It was a great family trip and one we won't be forgetting soon. Even DD7 said this was the best trip ever! I asked her better than Disney? She's been to WDW and on a Disney cruise and without hesitation she said YES! We enjoyed every minute on the island, so much that we voted against spending a day in DC because we didn't want to leave the island any sooner than we had to. It gave such a small town feel, everyone was so nice and it was so relaxing. As a landlocked person it was nice to go to bed to the light house flashing in our window from Assateague Island, and wake up to the sun rising over that same lighthouse. Assateague is home to a few herds of wild ponies and there's even a book series written about them. We read all of the books before leaving town and seeing everything for real and in person was amazing. For dinner we'd pull up our crab cages from our dock, and for lunch we'd climb down the dock and pull off fresh oysters. If we wanted to change things up we'd travel out to Assateague (a whole 3 minute drive, or 10 minutes bike ride) and go clamming. It was a fantastic trip and we can't wait to return!
I was wondering where u stayed??? I am among a trip there and could use some insight!

If it's non-Disney it would have to be Universal! I had so much fun, even if it was only for a day. Other than that it would be the family trips to Ocean Isle Beach when I was younger. We're finally going back again this year. :goodvibes

We love Estes Park Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park. It's just glorious! We hope to go back next summer. :)

Maui! I also really enjoyed our vacation to the Oregan Coast.

I can't believe I forgot to mention our honeymoon in Bali. Amazing.:)

The first year we were stationed in Istanbul, we decided Christmas in an Islamic country probably wouldn't be much fun, especially as we were advised to keep decorations out of sight of the street because of terrorism. So we packed up and went to London for eight days! We didn't tell our kids what we were doing; they thought we were going back to the US and London was our overnight stop. We took a taxi into town, checked into two rooms at the Sheraton in Knightsbridge, and began a solid week of going and spending non-stop! We shopped at Harrod's, Harvey Nichols (where DD#2 stalked George Michael - then of WHAM! - through the fur department), Selfridge's, Liberty, the Scotch House and anywhere else the girls wanted to go. We saw two West End hits (Cats and Evita), attended three Christmas concerts, and took the train up to Windsor, where we toured the castle, saw the crown jewels, and shopped SOME MORE! I think we spent about $6,000, including our air fare from Istanbul and DDD#1's air fare from Los Angeles. It would probably cost twice that today. It was absolutely fantastic, and the girls still talk about that trip, 29 years later!

Queen Colleen

I have very fond memories of my solo 2008 trip to Belize. I was there for eleven days, and split my time between three areas: Belize City (good base for tours to the interior), San Ignacio (on border with Guatemala; base for day trip to Tikal), and Placencia. Since Belize is small, it was easy to travel from one area to another. I focused on visiting Mayan archeological sites and some eco tourism, and hired guides to take me to the places that I wanted to see. I really drew myself out of my comfort zone. I went cave tubing, climbed a Mayan pyramid, crossed a disputed international border, and went on some jungle hikes. I finished the trip at a beach resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter