Your favorite "family" thing to do on St. Thomas

jimsubry

Mouseketeer
I'm busily researching St. Thomas. I looked up all the Disney excursions and none of them sound that interesting. Either they seem like they are high-action sailing type ones, or overpriced sightseeing ones that don't take you many places, or places we could just take a taxi to on our own.

So then I looked up different attractions. I like the idea of Blackbeard's castle, but the site says its closed. And I watched a youtube video of a couple walking forever to get up there (and it was closed when they got there!) and in the August heat I doubt that'll be much fun. Walking around the Botanical gardens in the heat doesn't sound that fun either. Not really into "shopping" at touristy shops either. "Mountain Top" looks like a big tourist trap.

I just like the idea of walking around historic architecture in Charlotte Amalie. Is there enough of it close enough together to be worthwhile? Thinking of doing that in the morning, then catching a taxi to a beach. Husband and son like snorkeling. Sapphire Beach seems to be the best bet for that, does it take a long time to get to? And what would be the taxi price for that? Is there another beach that's nicer? The closest beach to port seems to be Morning Star beach. How nice is that one? :beach:

We loved Blackbeard's castle and the 99 steps! I was wondering why it wasn't on the excursions list. It's a great family thing to do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will reopen for November.

I liked Charlotte Amalie. It was a bit crowded for us, 7 boats had docked that day, but go to Gladys's. It's amazing.

We docked the day after Christmas and were the only ship that day. :scratchin It was a little surreal, but I'm not complaining! :thumbsup2 We did the Magen's Bay excursion and it was lovely. Could we have taxied? Yes. I have a happier time knowing should anything go wrong the ship will wait for my excursion. :flower3:

Caryn

We went to Magens Bay on our own and had a wonderful time. We left in plenty of time to get back to the ship, so there were no worries. Beautiful!

Jodie

I'm busily researching St. Thomas. I looked up all the Disney excursions and none of them sound that interesting. Either they seem like they are high-action sailing type ones, or overpriced sightseeing ones that don't take you many places, or places we could just take a taxi to on our own.

So then I looked up different attractions. I like the idea of Blackbeard's castle, but the site says its closed. And I watched a youtube video of a couple walking forever to get up there (and it was closed when they got there!) and in the August heat I doubt that'll be much fun. Walking around the Botanical gardens in the heat doesn't sound that fun either. Not really into "shopping" at touristy shops either. "Mountain Top" looks like a big tourist trap.

I just like the idea of walking around historic architecture in Charlotte Amalie. Is there enough of it close enough together to be worthwhile? Thinking of doing that in the morning, then catching a taxi to a beach. Husband and son like snorkeling. Sapphire Beach seems to be the best bet for that, does it take a long time to get to? And what would be the taxi price for that? Is there another beach that's nicer? The closest beach to port seems to be Morning Star beach. How nice is that one? :beach:

The day we were in St. Thomas there was rip tide warning so we could not even go in the water (we could have, but we have small children, and were advised against it). We ended up in downtown by taking a taxi from the port (relatively inexpensive, sorry the cost is escaping me at this moment), and there were several tour guides there offering their services in town. So, since we couldn't do the beach which was our original plan, we went on a 3 hour island tour that started at noon. We walked around downtown, ate something, shopped a little, then got on tour bus which took us around the island. It was really nice and we all enjoyed it. The guy had a yellow safari type truck and he was a great guide, I believe his name was Luan. Have fun! ::goodvibes

Edit to add: We visited Sapphire Beach on the tour, it was very crowded and waves were rough, but we were there at a different time of year. The island is relatively small so I don't think anything is super far just judging by our tour.

The day we were in St. Thomas there was rip tide warning so we could not even go in the water (we could have, but we have small children, and were advised against it). We ended up in downtown by taking a taxi from the port (relatively inexpensive, sorry the cost is escaping me at this moment), and there were several tour guides there offering their services in town.

If I remember correctly, the taxi fare to get to downtown Charlotte Amalie is $4 per person one way.

Not sure how old your kids are, but mine still talk about how awesome the aquarium was. Not sure it's actually called an aquarium but it was outdoors with sea life and lots of fun stuff.

Not sure how old your kids are, but mine still talk about how awesome the aquarium was. Not sure it's actually called an aquarium but it was outdoors with sea life and lots of fun stuff.

Coral World? It is next to Coki beach and was a hit with my boys too. I've heard some people don't like it when compared to large North American aquariums, but we enjoyed our experience. They have a website that will give you all the information you need.

If you are wanting to snorkel Coki beach ( far end) is the best :thumbsup2 Buy some fish food at the dive shop up by coral world and disperse it into the water around you while you snorkel. Cab ride is cheap.

CanuckTraveller said:
Coral World? It is next to Coki beach and was a hit with my boys too. I've heard some people don't like it when compared to large North American aquariums, but we enjoyed our experience. They have a website that will give you all the information you need.

Coki beach was a bit of a let down for me. Had a good time but wouldn't go back. Pay for every chair and every umbrella and the waves were just beating us to pieces and the snorkeling was not great because the waves were so strong and stirring up visibility. They had THE best fish and rice, wow! I gave some of it to the nicest black lil kitty! No volleyball there either cuz it was soooo packed and people on top of each other. Didn't go to coral world specifically (tho it looked small?) But I just remember really rough water...

We used Godfrey's Tours and were very happy with the experience. I could have done without the shopping and a couple of the other stops but there were eleven of us traveling together so it was nice to take it slow and relax with each other's company. If it were just myself, DH and the kids (4,6) I would have just taken a cab to the beach for the day. We went to Magen's Beach and it was great. If our kids were older and better swimmers I'd have liked to go to Coki Beach for the snorkeling and aquarium. There was a couple on the tour with us who chose to go there and they said it was amazing.

Doubloon Sail n Snorkel.

It is NOT high action...it's quite relaxing. Swim with turtles, see lots of cool fish, a great crew that takes care of everything for you, and a nice sail back. VERY family friendly, and one of the most popular excursions there is!

My family talked me into zip lining and it was soooooo much fun! I booked it independently, so we saved a bit of money. We used Tree Limin' they were awesome! And the views are incredible!

We did the Full Day Sail & Snorkel. It will only be as high action as you make it. My kids are 6, 8, & 11 and loved it. Beautiful boat ride to the cove where you can snorkel if you want to, but my youngest didn't want to and he saw lots of sea life just looking over the side of the boat. Then we took another ride to Honeymoon beach which was not crowded at all and there was some great barbecue. Even if all you do is stay on the boat, the scenery around all of the islands is gorgeous!

Coki beach was a bit of a let down for me. Had a good time but wouldn't go back. Pay for every chair and every umbrella and the waves were just beating us to pieces and the snorkeling was not great because the waves were so strong and stirring up visibility. They had THE best fish and rice, wow! I gave some of it to the nicest black lil kitty! No volleyball there either cuz it was soooo packed and people on top of each other. Didn't go to coral world specifically (tho it looked small?) But I just remember really rough water...

I agree Coki beach wasn't what I expected, but the day we went the water was calm and flat. Ds2 was 3 yrs old and he walked through the water with me looking at the fish swimming between our legs ;). We only spent 45 mins there, as we took our time going through Coral World, but it was a nice excursion to do once.

We did a St. John's excursion once and it was lovely! Just a nice day at the beach, and they included snorkeling.

If you want to stay on St. Thomas though, Magen's Bay is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter