Your Disney Splurge!

First splurge SO worth it D23 events (at WDW) in 2011.

In 2012 they were disappointing in comparison.

"Meh" experience was the behind the scenes tour at AK, BUT let me issue a disclaimer--DH and I both work with animals (domestic) for a living ad have also worked in animal microbiology research. We were disappointed at the rather "basic" questions we asked of the keepers that they could not answer. Ex: The keeper described drawing blood from the elephants' ears, we asked what size needle they used. No idea. ANother keeper said the big cats were not fed any beef, we asked why? Again, no idea.

1) Epcot Segway tour: so awesome, my avatar photo was taken the morning of our tour, it was amazing to be in Epcot when nobody else was! The tour through the World Showcase was so fun, informative and just such a unique experience. It was a bit un-nerving to return to the very populated FW and thread through people on our Segways. Too bad it is gone now, we wanted to do this with our young adult children last year.

2) Dinner at Cali Grill: We did this twice, once just as a couple, and last year with our two young adult children. The price makes it a splurge. The food was good but not amazing. However the overall experience was worth while, the view from up there and the fireworks on the balcony are pretty neat. Our kids enjoyed the experience. For us we probably won't do that again, would plan our dining splurge somewhere different now that we've been there done that.

3) small splurges we did when our kids were young and glad we did because they were special memories: the pick-a-pearl necklace we purchased for our daughter, the face painting my son had at HS (then MGM), hair wraps, and the Pirates Cruise at GF.

4) the one that didn't work out: Richard Petty Driving School for my DH. We had a tight schedule on a short trip so he had one shot at it and it rained. Not just rained, POURED! He gamely took a cab over to the race track just in case, they took him for a ride around the track in the rain in a van then drove him back to the hotel. He was given a "rain check" that could be used at any RPDS event in the US within a year. Fortunately we live in MI near MIS so he was able to have his drive there a few months later. I guess it turned out ok because MIS is a longer track and you can get up to higher speeds. But at the time it was a bummer.

Pirates and Pals fireworks cruise, definitely. The view was great and we met some great characters. It was a surprise for my sister's birthday (she LOVES peter pan) and I'll never forget the look on her face when she realized she'd be meeting Peter.

This trip we have the Wishes dessert party booked. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

This isn't overly splurge-y, but we did Hoop-de-Doo for the first time in May and really, really enjoyed the show (and enjoyed the excuse to visit Ft. Wilderness for the first time!). It was quite fun!

• MNSSHP in 2013. LOVED IT, mainly for the new shows, fireworks and especially the parade. Our previous 3 trips had all been during MNSSHP, but we never felt the need to go. By 2013 (our 4th year in a row) we wanted as many new things as possible to keep the magic fresh.

• Magic Behind the Steam Trains - This was a love/hate tour. LOVED the first part. Getting in the park before ANYONE else (even those with breakfast ADR's.) I have some awesome photos of that. The ride(s) on the train, meeting the conductors, and the "roundhouse" where they maintain/store the trains was awesome. Loved the detailed description of the trains and how they prep them each day, etc... The part that sucked was the close to 2 hour history lesson up in the train station. It started out kinda interesting but by the end I felt like interrupting and saying "Can I please just get my special pin, and go meet my family in the park now?" It just dragged... I love Walt trivia as much as the next guy, but I didn't feel like sitting on a bench for 2 hours listening to it... Would I do the tour again? Yes, but I would leave after the first portion.

• Cirque - During our first visit to WDW (I still can't believe what we all got done in 7 nights. I think we were totally fueled by all the pixie dust) Was worth it for sure. Once. I don't have a desire to go back, but very much enjoyed the show the first time!

• Pick-a-Pearl - itty bitty splurge, but loved it. Kids got a cool memento and they loved the whole thing from start to finish. My parents were with us that trip and my Mom got her pearl set in a simple beautiful ring.

Dan

Last edited:
Poly TPV CL for my DD's first trip. That was in 2007 and even today I can remember walking into the room and opening the curtains and having my jaw drop. Direct castle view. I'm so sad that it isn't the same anymore.

I know this doesn't compare cost wise... well maybe... Last summer we did not have a trip planned and then Frozen Summer of Fun came along.. we had to go so that was a cost but what can you do? We get to DHS and my DD wanted one of the special Frozen magicbands and I told her no. We had spent so much just getting here and why couldn't she just enjoy herself? DH was at home (he tolerates my Disney obsession but if he doesn't have to go all the better) and I texted him about how upset I was cause I wanted to buy her the stupid band but this trip was not planned blah blah blah. And he wrote back almost immediately and said to get the band (which I was NOT expecting because he prefers that our money NOT go Disney's bottom line!!). DD was SO excited and has exclusively used her Elsa band since then. That was my splurge for the trip that was a splurge in and of itself :)

Wishes dessert party was a bust for us. It was rainy and cold (like in the 40's cold). I was so focused on the fact I spent the money and we were going to go gosh darnit and we were going to have the time of our lives... we didn't. My FIL was brave-he later told me he was miserable but was afraid of my "PsychoDisney" alter ego coming out so he didn't say a thing. DD was cold and wet and just tired. Learned my lesson that once something is purchased it's a sunk cost and I have to weigh the experience vs. the reality as it is presenting at the moment. The other thing I learned is that the Dessert Party isn't for us!!

DD and I also did some tour at AK- maybe a behind the scenes tour? It was sooooo hot and it was in the afternoon. I just remember it as meh.

Upcoming trip we are booked for "Dine with an Imagineer". A splurge and we will see if it is worth it!

(I love this thread- so much fun to read!)

We did the Segway tour in Epcot in 2008. Originally our splurge was going to be Cirque but I just could never pull the trigger on purchasing the the tickets, (we had seen a show in vegas and loved it). Once we got to WDW we were wandering Innoventions and DH wanted to try the Segway Experience. I was really nervous because I am pretty clumsy and pretty poor at balancing. So we did the quick experience and the guy told us about the longer one. So over to guest services and we booked it. It was amazing and they should have had a segway dealership at the end of it because I wanted one (still do). I had hoped to do the Ft Wilderness tour someday.

I guess my biggest splurge was the one that got me here and that is staying onsite for our honeymoon. I had been a bunch as a kid but either only for a day (my grandparents winter in Daytona Beach) or offsite for two days. I thought only the elite stayed onsite. My original honeymoon plan was offsite and a two or three days at the parks and then the beach. But once I hit all these fan sites and read about what onsite was and how the cost compared (this was for Sept 2006 and the original free dining) vs. all the islands our friends has gone to, and then I found CL. So our honeymoon was WL CL for 7days with park hoppers and waterparks. It was wonderful and has ruined me forever. :-) We are at AoA for a few days this fall, but the goal is in 2017 for a 40th bday celebration at the WL and if I can pinch enough pennies CL again.

Mine would be the Wishes Cruise, Club Level at WL, and Concierge on the Disney Dream. All of which were amazing I and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either or all three.

My only disappointment on a splurge would be Artists Point for dinner. The best part of the meal was the bread and drinks.

We're going to the Halloween party in Sept (1st Disney trip) and plan on watching the fireworks. How different are they from the regular fireworks? My kids are 3 and 18mo and I don't know that we'll go back to the park another night and stay that late.

The fireworks are without a doubt the best I've ever seen, they include perimeter fireworks, awesome music, and are amazing. I'm not sure that little ones will appreciate them any differently than regular fireworks however.

Expected to be awesome, and didnt disappoint: Keys to the Kingdom - definitely worth it! Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Surprise hit - Yuletide Fantasy Tour, went in thinking it was overpriced, but enjoyed it so much we will probably do it again some day.

Good, but not quite as awesome as expected: Wild Africa Trek - glad we had a discount for this one. It was fun, but doesn't have a ton of repeat value for me.

Tad disappointing: Fireworks Dessert Party - desserts were so-so, view was okay-ish, and we felt it was overpriced.... at the OLD price! :laughing:

I try to splurge on something new every trip. It keeps things interesting!

The fireworks cruise we did last month was wonderful - a splurge, but fantastic. Also staying Club Level is a very worthwhile splurge for us.

We try to do something special each trip. A few have been a tower theme park view at the Contemporary, the Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party, and the Illuminations Cruise. On our upcoming trip, we are going parasailing.

The theme park view was great because my kids were a little younger then, and we spent a lot more time in the room. I didn't enjoy the dessert party - lots of rude guests and people jostling for position. The Illuminations Cruise was great fun and we loved it.

I just dropped $260+ on a fireworks cruise. I'm now a little nervous. I LOVE fireworks and my son loves boats, so I'm hoping this will be magical.

We have splurged over the years on several things. Cirque-very worth it. MNSSHP-must do if we are there when it is going on. Last year we were there for the first SWW character dine at H&V, it was expensive for 5 of us, and worth it to have my picture with Darth Goofy. Wishes dessert party-meh, won't do that again.

BEST SPLURGE EVER-several years ago you could book the premium package for one night-granting access to those benefits for the day of your stay up to midnight of the check out day. We booked it for the one night and had tours for 2 days-Segway, Backstage AK,carriage ride at FW, plus HDDR, lunch at Yak and Yeti, and breakfast at CP. It was 2 days packed and we were exhausted but it was worth it. We put this in the middle of a split stay and had 10 day PHs from the first part, so we didn't have to use the 1 day base tickets that came with the package and we still have those to use later. Now I think you have to book this for a 3 night minimum so the value has definitely gone down.

Last edited:
I WISH I could say our fireworks cruise on the Grand 1 but they cancelled that on us five hours before we were set to depart. MAJOR BOO!!!

Anyway, something that was surprisingly wonderful was the Epcot AquaSeas Tour. We've snorkeled all over the world and thought this Disney experience would be very blah but were very surprised and would 100% do it again! Next to Moorea and Bora Bora (which just cannot be beat anywhere), this was one of our favorite snorkeling experiences. Plus, getting to wave to people dining and viewing the tank was SO FUN!

We did the Wanyama Safari at AKL as well, we were a little worried about it because it wasn't cheap but would so do it again if staying there.

One we thought was a good idea but were disappointed in was the Wishes Dessert Party. This was a few years ago, my DS, DIL and myself. Our table was real close to the rail, no tables in front of us so you would have thought that would be a perfect location. Nope, the disney photographer set up right in front of us so people were standing in front getting their picture taken, then when the FW started everyone went to the rail and stood, in front of us. I'm 5'2" so have problems seeing over people at the best of times. I didn't want to stand at my table and obstruct the view of the people behind us so I ended up standing in front of a big old column that was right beside our table, it was wider than me so I wasn't obstructing anyone but I still had to stand on my tip toes to see the preshow on the castle. The desserts were just blah and let's face it, you can't really eat more than a bite or two of one or two before you get sick, which I had anticipated and we had not eaten supper, we really just got the tickets to see Tink fly over and get to see the castle pre-show. Never again, I can buy two desserts for much less and find a spot to stand and have rude people stand in front of me for free.

This was almost our exact experience. Wouldn't do it again.

We did a double splurge on our trip in 2004. Booked ten nights at OKW, rented points, and did MNSSHP that trip. Well worth it on both.

PP mentioned just going is a splurge. We are a family of seven so I would have to agree. We drive from PA, so we save on airfares. We roll that savings into staying ten nights when we go. That's a splurge in itself for us.

We upgraded DVC discount passes to annual passes this year for $1950. Making it worth it are 7 days in May, 5 days in September, 7 days in December and at least 6 more days next year. That breaks down to 100 park admissions at $19.50 a day for the 4 of us.

Our first trip was a splurge for sure. 5 months after losing my husband I sat at my daughter's school orientation with my children (then 7 years and 7 months old). I had already been on here doing research. I looked at her calendar and saw she had the whole week off for Thanksgiving. That had never happened at her school.

It was 3 months away. I booked the trip that night having no idea how I was going to pay for the rest of it, but it worked out.

Since then, probably the next trip we took. In 2012, we stayed 10 days. I had never taken a vacation that long. It was a good thing because we had a Tropical Storm for 4 days of it.

Other than that, probably each time I scheduled Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for my daughter. She was already 9 the first time she did it and I wasn’t sure if it was going to turn out to be one of those things she begged to do; but regretted due to her age. And I felt that way each subsequent time because well, just knowing how young girls are. Everything always turned out great. I know the clothes I chose each time helped.

Then there was Pirate’s League for my son. He always talked about being a pirate; but I had read about how the room was a little on the dark side and how it could get loud. He’s sensory sensitive and actually wears headphones at Disney. He loved it though and the lady worked around his headphones really well. And thankfully he was willing to take them off for the photos in the treasure room. It was quiet in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter